Outbid question

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Outbid question

Post by Killua »

I was recently outbid on an item by one bidding increment, but then later Mandarake said that I'd won it for my max. Uh... I suppose that meant the max bidder ran away without paying, but it was rather quickly done. It showed I had won it I believe less than an hour after the auction ended. So what's going on? And normally when the main bidder runs away without paying, isn't it offered to the next highest instead of them just saying I had won it? I don't particularly feel like paying my max bid if the guy who took me there just ran away and was perhaps a shill bidder.

Any thoughts?
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

If it really is a case of the high bidder telling them, "Oops, I didn't mean to bid that high," or whatever, then you should have won it for one increment above the high bid of the person who was directly below you - which, I suppose, could have coincidentally been one increment less than your max.

If I were in your situation, I would write to Mandarake, tell them that you saw the end of the auction, and politely ask for an explanation.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Moop wrote:If I were in your situation, I would write to Mandarake, tell them that you saw the end of the auction, and politely ask for an explanation.
This is what I would suggest as well. Mandarake's system has been known to be glitchy when two people have the same max bid in. The other possibility is that you were taken to your max by more than one other bidder, and therefore the removal of the one bid that outbid you leaves you at your max bid as the winner.
vampyreshoujo
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by vampyreshoujo »

Mandarake's system has been known to be glitchy when two people have the same max bid in.
Yeah, I think it's just a matter of someone else bidding the same high max as yours, Killua. For whatever reason, the amount shown will still increase by 100yen; however, since you were the first bidder with that max, you're the winner.

I had this same situation happen to me too, and that's the explanation Mandarake gave me in their reply. (I was quite surprised when I received the email that I had won. I thought I had been outbid by just 100yen too.)

Of course, it never hurts to email them and double-check. :wink: But that was the situation when it happened to me. Another person had just bid the same max after I had.
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Ah, ok. That makes sense then. :) I had no problem paying my max, just didn't want someone else to be screwing me over. 8) Thanks for the help!