Higher than BWA prices?!

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Higher than BWA prices?!

Post by ReiTheJelly »

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the final value on this auction.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/ite ... 1860100108
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

My wallet cringes just from looking at that price...

Xe.com says that that's about US$12,476.04. Eeep!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

That's a lot of money alright.

I'm just glad that anime artwork has a lower range of prices than Western animation. For those things I had difficulty finding anything that I liked that cost less than $250-$350. And that was fifteen years ago.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

What's sad is that it's not an especially attractive sketch, nor is it autographed by Miyazaki. If I'm going to drop even a tenth that price, I'm going to want a knockout piece, and not a generic head shot of some random character.

Kinda like having a doodle by Van Gogh on the back of a bistro paper napkin heavily stained with absinthe: except that I bet that really would be worth a price like that as Van Gogh did really interesting doodles.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I'm just glad that anime artwork has a lower range of prices than Western animation.
No kidding!! When I was younger I was hugely into Carl Barks (the guy who invented Uncle Scrooge.) I used to dream about owning one of his paintings….they started at $100,000 and then went up from there. And that was over 10 years ago, when he was still alive… I have no clue how much more they must go for now (as there’s no chance in Hell I’ll ever own one.)

When I get stressed over what I’m spending on cels I try to remember that to keep things in perspective. My interests have gotten much more affordable, heh.

…Although I’m glad that the focus of my cel collecting isn’t Miyazaki work, because even that’s waaaay outta my range, yikes.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

I dunno I've seen Ghibli material as rough as that go for about the same as that before. Basically as long as it's Miyazaki who's penned it, it will be guraranteed to go for a bomb. Rightly or wrongly.
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Sky Rat wrote:
I'm just glad that anime artwork has a lower range of prices than Western animation.
No kidding!! When I was younger I was hugely into Carl Barks (the guy who invented Uncle Scrooge.) I used to dream about owning one of his paintings….they started at $100,000 and then went up from there. And that was over 10 years ago, when he was still alive… I have no clue how much more they must go for now (as there’s no chance in Hell I’ll ever own one.)

When I get stressed over what I’m spending on cels I try to remember that to keep things in perspective. My interests have gotten much more affordable, heh.

…Although I’m glad that the focus of my cel collecting isn’t Miyazaki work, because even that’s waaaay outta my range, yikes.
I saw a Carl Banks painting go for something like $50,000 about a year ago. That was at an auction of course, so probably a smaller price than what a gallery would list it as. So have hope! 8)
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I saw a Carl Banks painting go for something like $50,000 about a year ago. That was at an auction of course, so probably a smaller price than what a gallery would list it as. So have hope!
Really??? That’s interesting! Back in like 1995 or so (probably the last time I was paying attention to them,) they were averaging 100-300k. Even just a lithograph of one of his paintings cost more than I’ve spent on my most expensive cel, heh.

Hm, well. Even at surprisingly lower prices I don’t see one of those in my future, haha. But that is certainly something to keep in mind if I somehow magically find myself in a different financial bracket someday… Thanks for the update!
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Miyazaki name turned to be a luxury brand.
Buy some for your kids today and when they'd be old enough to drive a car, they may pay the car, the gas, and the garage :D
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

what!! sweet image, but, i dunno... X|
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Caroline wrote:what!! sweet image, but, i dunno... X|
If my remembers are right, this is the very last scene from the TV series Conan Future Boy. I need to check my DVDs.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime