what are these?

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

what are these?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 7782700001

I've been seeing this recently on YJA as well, are they just..what they look like? or are they bigger? some of them go for quite alot, think I saw one for about 170000yen that's got 6 hours lift.
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

These look like 22mm film cels to me. Always a rare item for collectors.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

What show is that? It's all fuzzy. 8O
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

that's magical girl nanoha the movie, release in japan a few weeks back I think.

and yeah, that's what I thought they were..but, holycrap..I wouldn't be willing to spend much or even collect those tiny little things at all, I mean, how do they even display them? for 2grand it should be an pretty epic cel piece instead.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

so I was just wondering, since I'm interested in getting some, maybe..are they really only 22mm wide? 2.2cms picture part only or including the side lines? I would never collect them but..really saw something I'd love to have, so I would change me mind depending on how big those really are, anyone got some tips?

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 1382700026

and also, noob question but, can those be somehow make into reproduction cels of normal size?

also anyone know if those film cels have line fading problem like normal anime cels?
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

Film cells do not have line fade but they can be easily damaged if not protected. They are cut from the original film print that is shown in cinemas and are the actual images projected on the screen. Each film cell is unique like production cels.

Most dealers who sell them call them 'film cells' rather than 'film cels' because they assume most collectors don't know that 'cel' means celluloid in that sense.

They are usually sold in limited editions and only marketable images are sold.

As for displaying them, they are usually mounted then framed along with a mini movie poster.

Yes each individual cell is 22mm, but if it's a strip of similar cells from the same scene it will obviously be bigger.
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Um, film cells are usually not unique because normally at least hundreds of reels are produced so that the film can be watched across a country.

Getting film cells from the master copy would be rare indeed, but next to impossible because any studio worth its salt will keep its master(s) locked up in a very dark and environmentally controlled vault. Cutting pieces of a master copy would be near sacrilege because it means any future copies made from that master would have to be supplemented with material from less true material.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Somebody sure liked a film strip from Haruhi:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 356000-yen

356,000yen? It's like a BWA price. :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

lol saw that one two days ago and it was at 55000yen ish, guess everyone bidded in the end..anyways, thanks alot for answering guys, but mostly to Strictly-Dragonball :)