General question about shipping etc for Mandarake listings

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
oxypetalus
Otaku - Fanatic

General question about shipping etc for Mandarake listings

Post by oxypetalus »

I have never purchased from Mandarake before but have been watching the auctions for a while. I have a few questions for users who have won cels from them before.

How are the shipping charges and packaging? (Please note what country you were shipping to and what you won)

Do they ever re-list items that don't get bids? (I looked at some past listings and saw a few things I would've liked :/ )
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Shipping depends on what you order (is it a book? cel? poster.. etc)
But in my experience it hovers around $15-25 dollars for cels and posters.
For books and shikishi around $12-18.
<-- in US

Packaging is excellent. They are very professional, and once you
pay they ship a.s.a.p. I've had incidents where I won, paid, and 48hrs later
had the cel in my hand-- and once, just 1 day after I paid. O_O

And no, they never re-list things that end w/o bids.
They typically sell them in their stores after auction or pass
them to another store location. But they don't reappear online
in their everyday or bwa auctions.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Shampoo wrote:
And no, they never re-list things that end w/o bids.
They typically sell them in their stores after auction or pass
them to another store location. But they don't reappear online
I've seen the same background from Pom Poko listed twice, as well as a Lil' Bits cel that didn't sell thefirst time. I don't usually see items reappear but I'm pretty certain I've seen it occasionally.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

've seen the same background from Pom Poko listed twice, as well as a Lil' Bits cel that didn't sell thefirst time. I don't usually see items reappear but I'm pretty certain I've seen it occasionally.
Hmm.. :? dont think I've ever seen or heard them
re-list items that go w/o bids in the past but oh well! I guess they
must on some occasion if you have seen it
w/ some items.

Personally, I cant vouch for all items only what I've
seen from cels/sketch portion bidding on their site, but one of the
Mandy workers who handles the english orders gave me
the exact answer I just typed up after I asked the very same
question that oxypetalus asked in particular about an
item I wanted that ended w/o bids.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Just got my invoice for a huge framed piece. It looks like it will be around $50 for shipping. So if you are looking at something big, keep that in mind. Well worth it for me though!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

pretty much "ditto" to what Shampoo said, about $15-$25 for a cel, I only ever purchased cels /sketches from Mandarake so I can't speak for other types of items, but everything was always packaged very well, and sent very quickly, no probs ever.
jenn-b wrote:Just got my invoice for a huge framed piece. It looks like it will be around $50 for shipping. So if you are looking at something big, keep that in mind. Well worth it for me though!
Jenn-b, that's really not a bad ship quote for a large framed piece, sure beats a deputy!!!
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

I totally agree. I think it's completely fair. Heck, my last deputy parcel from Japan cost me around $200.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

their packaging is decent most of the time, for cel I think its pretty good(only got one cel from them). and the shipping fee is reasonable as I don't think they charge more than what they get charged, unlike some proxy services that I had used, one charges packaging fee and the other charges "box fee", 1000yen per shipping box..

off topic, but I've only ordered about 4 time from them this year and they had already managed to make mistake and shipping me the wrong item while shipping my item to other people..and of course, I got the short end(the much cheaper item) :(
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Shampoo wrote:But they don't reappear online
Art items that don't sell in the BWA tend to pop up at the Nakano store. There's a seperate little store on the 4th(?) floor where the higher end cels & genga can be found. The starting price for items in this store seems to be about 10,000 yen and up. All the items are behind glass and you have to ask a store representative to look/buy the item.

I guess that's good, though. When you see how some of these potential buyers treat the items in the dollar bins, it'll make you cringe. I saw one guy forcefully drop the cels in the dollar bin back. I guess that's why each cel comes packaged in heavy duty cardboard.

As for packaging items, Mandarake does a really good good and the shipping prices are very fair. They ship all their items EMS and that's usually guaranteed for up to $200. Normally, I pay $15-$20 for one cel/sketch item and for an oversized framed cel, I paid $75.
oxypetalus
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by oxypetalus »

Thanks for the info everyone. Soo it seems I'll just assume the worst and expect that the item I was interested in won't be re-listed as re-listing very rarely occurs :(
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I think the items I saw twice were listed the first time corresponding with the last BWA (in the regular auctions.) So they might have been an exception to the norm, the Mandarake figuring they would have sold if people hadn't been so focused on the big auction (and they were right, at least one of the things I was looking at did sell the second time.)

It'd probably be safer to assume what everyone else advised, that they don't relist.