Why do settings on Mandarake sell for so much?

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
daikkenaurora
Anime Geek

Why do settings on Mandarake sell for so much?

Post by daikkenaurora »

I know some series are popular so the prices are high but I've seen settings for the same series go for 2500 yen and up to 25000 yen.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Yeah, I'm still confused as to why settei copies command the prices that they do on Mandarake. I think a lot of it has to do with maybe, two bidders who both want the item. It's not unheard of to see a bidwar item end at 10x the original price.

Original settei, though, I can understand why they would end high. And a lot of people prefer Mandarake since the shipping is reasonable, they allow foriegn bidders & the comission is usually less than most deputies. People trust that Mandarake will only sell original items - if the item is a forgery, unlike YJ, you can always (attempt) to get a refund.

I guess that, in some cases, it boils down to how new the artwork is(recent stuff always seems to end high), how hard to find the artwork is, and interest in the anime.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I never could figure why they've gone for so much either. But I remember copy settei going for a lot of money eight years ago on Yahoo Japan so I guess it's something that's never going to stop.
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Copy settei will occasionally sell high on Mandarake if it's fairly rare and/or the first time that settei has been made available. Oftentimes the winner plans to make additional copies and sell them for profit.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Ah...I see. It's Greed! :D

That doesn't sound good though.
daikkenaurora
Anime Geek

Post by daikkenaurora »

Killua wrote:Copy settei will occasionally sell high on Mandarake if it's fairly rare and/or the first time that settei has been made available. Oftentimes the winner plans to make additional copies and sell them for profit.
Okay, I got it.

I'm glad I asked the question. Seems a few others had the same thought as me.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

I've always wondered this too.

Guess I know the hard truth now :hurt:
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

I believe it is (at least partly) due to a French collector I know, who collects settings from pretty much all series and doesn't mind overpaying them.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Olivier wrote:I believe it is (at least partly) due to a French collector I know, who collects settings from pretty much all series and doesn't mind overpaying them.
Ah,

tell him to get this thing:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b111491462

It's not even listed in it's proper category and i'm tired of seeing it month after month :P:P:P
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Man if only I could list all my Yugioh settei on Mandy. Then they might sell. :rollin I have so many sets from Duel Monsters. :roll:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

kizu

Post by kizu »

I'm one of those people who paid a lot for a settei. Well to be honest I think people get excited for the first artwork they see on certain series. That was certainly my case. Although I really didn't mind paying a lot of a settei that I wanted. Now if it was settei that's been around, copied and sold over and over again... Well I wouldn't pay a lot for it. As I see it, getting the first artwork for a series commands some sort of premium and so I paid it.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

While doing research on a lot I recently got from MKR, I happened on this site:

http://aquantis.tripod.com/settei.html

As I understand, for fifty cents a page or for a set sum ($20 to $120) for an entire set the webmaster will send you scans of the settei he owns. Alternatively, he'll trade scans of what he owns for scans of settei that he does not own and wants.

I don't know how successful this is as an enterprise, but that would be yet another way in which the cost of settei could be recovered by the lucky winner.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Speaking of expensive settei... This one went crazy high I think considering Mandarake has been selling sets several times now (but each one seems to increase in the number of pages)... https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/ite ... 5920100007

For that price I'd go for a nice rilezu instead... http://animecellar.cside.to/Rilezu/Hakuouki/index.htm
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

well i now know who that rilezu went to.

hint being your ava.*points above to kizu's post.*

also, i emailed mandarake thinking you could send you stuff to their company, like you can with celga. nope, the only way mandarake will take and maybe sell your stuff is if you take it directly to one of their store/shops.
Diabolo
Anime Geek

Post by Diabolo »

Olivier wrote:I believe it is (at least partly) due to a French collector I know, who collects settings from pretty much all series and doesn't mind overpaying them.
If Araki's cels are expensive, its because i believe it is (at least partly) due to a French collector i know :D

Anyway the price is expensive when 2 persons bids on the same auction.
And when i have time i put them online, and soon they will be open for trade. This way maybe the price will decrease

http://www.settei.net

Edit : The quality is often better than the quality of the art book, specially because the pictures are bigger.