uh...

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

uh...

Post by kira »

it really shouldnt surprise me but it does.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 6090100001
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Is this a lithograph? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but, I didn't see a description.

If it were the original, then, I could totally justify the price.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

OP collectors are pretty insane when it comes to spending $$$ on items they want. My best guess is that it is a lithograph. Although it appears to be HUGE and contains many of the popular characters, I'm surprised to see it went so high, considering it doesn't appear to be numbered or signed.

*shrugs*

If it were an original, I imagine the price would easily be 4x or 5x this ending price.
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

One of the things I DESPISE about Mandarake is the lack of information that is distributed. It doesn't really confirm anything. They get really tricky, they lead you to believe its real and when you win/receive the item, you learned it is a facsimile art. And you can't really do anything about it because they didn't claim whether it is authentic or not. :roll:
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I wonder if bidders even know what they're bidded on...then again, I've never seen a one piece picture looking like that, at least not the horizontal shape of it. and if its framed, could just be something pretty rare, never know.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

ReiTheJelly wrote:If it were an original, I imagine the price would easily be 4x or 5x this ending price.
On Mandarake, yes. But, if it were sold privately, probably not. With someone like Oda, and the amount of artwork he's personally generated on the One Piece series, I think it would be a safe bet that either he and/or his publishing company have sold original manga pages (and possibly cover artwork) to private collectors. Depending on the title, when these items are sold, there's generally a substantial discount because they're being sold under the agreement that they will never be publically displayed.

If this item is a lithograph, I wonder why it's not signed or numbered. Maybe it's under the framing board?
aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by aethel »

The item is listed in the subcategory "other". Everything else in that category is a lithograph / reproduction. The original sketches (at the moment) are all in the first two categories under original art. Therefore I would infer it is not an original. Just my observation.
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

"reproduction" is written on the japanese page of this auction ... so:

尾田栄一郎カラー複製原画 ONE PIECE
2~3å¹´å‰
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

As Zetsuai just illustrated with her above post, there is sometimes more information in the Japanese-language versions of Mandarake listings. So, when they don't post anything to the english ones, I often go look at the Japanese listing, because it sometimes contains more (or better) details about the item ;).

I was curious about why there's no # on this one, myself, but I think the Japanese description sums it up--it's a printed reproduction. I just hope the bidders realized that when they were bidding! X|
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

that's like I do it too ... (^_^) ... the japanese page has all information ... and if even there is not everything listed what you want to know about a piece, you can always ask someone of the store, who listed it, for more details ... (^___^) ...
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I’m kind of boggled at the current OP auctions up right now. How is the hand drawn settai still so cheap with a print hitting prices like that?? (I’m not shocked by the price of the print, just the disparity.) Even the copy settai is going for a higher price. Did no one like that particular movie or something? (It was kind of a creepy one.) Even if the copy art was cooler, I’d rather have a piece that’s original. Makes me wish I had extra cash right now, ha.
aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by aethel »

How did you guys find the Japanese listing? I tried going over to the Japanese version of the site, but I must have done something wrong- I didn't see any text for that piece on that version either.

Would you mind posting the link to the Japanese page you're viewing? I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by aethel »

oh! That's very helpful. Thank you.