I know it's popular, but damn that's a lot of yen.

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Macron one
Kamisama - God

I know it's popular, but damn that's a lot of yen.

Post by Macron one »

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 7830100003

Over 100 times the starting price 8O

I guess i can forget about bidding on Madoka Magica sketches for the forseeable future. It's a great series, so i was hoping to try my luck by putting a 20000 yen bid on it before going to work this morning, but saw that bidding was already up to 21600 at the time. :( Never thought it would go for more than 30000 yen though, let alone 5 times as much.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Wow...I never went back to see what it ended up going for, but was going to eventually. I knew it was going to go for a lot, but I didn't think it would go for that much.

This is going to be one of the big anime titles to collect from for the immediate future. I wonder if so and so is going to start drawing sketches from this show too. He might make a lot of money selling sketches from it.

Too bad the last two episodes are on indefinite delay.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

I bid about 58,000 yen on it. And I thought that was really way too much....
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

The pan sketch was very nice. Thankfully, it's Lent. But yes, I'll have to watch for this series. Maybe (as with Rozen Maiden) the prices will come back to earth in a couple of years.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

I wouldn't expect a drop so soon.

From what I can tell from more recent popular anime, even computer generated sketches are about gone. All we get now are rough drawings. Think about all the series released in the past....say...3 to 4 years and ask yourself how many sketches you see from those series.

The market is getting to the point where if you don't get it NOW, you may never......
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

Wow. It is getting harder and harder to find things as Chaos pointed out.

No wonder people drop such big amounts :jaw
You've finally fallen to the bloodlust of beasts...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I would have bid on the Mandarake first set if I was still into collecting, but I didn't. I don't anticipate bidding on many things any more. Maybe someday or maybe I'll just bid on those cels that some collectors seem to be selling off on the market in the past 6-10 months. Some of those shows are old time shows like Kakyuusei and Tokimeki Memorial.

Anyone here get that Tokimeki Memorial trumpet pan cel? That was a really nice one.

Yeah, you're right. You have to try to get them when they first come out because you might not see of them for again for awhile if at all. You don't see many dougas any more. Is that because they are done in Korea now?

Sometimes I don't even check YJ any more.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

YHJ gets a good set now and then, but have to search every day.

I got my recent set of "Index" sketches of Misaka and Kuroko about 2 weeks ago off YHJ.

And ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a sketch from the series "Demon King Daimao"? I got lucky. Was searching for some from "Kampfer" and came accross one that didn't seem right. They had it misslabeled and turned out to be Junko from DKD.

So it's just a matter of keeping an eye out. And if you find it don't hesitate.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

How long have you been collecting sketches or have you just got back into the swing of things?

I like this fan created artwork from Madoka:

[removed the URL]

It kinda makes me laugh too because of what they did to it. :D
Last edited by Keropi on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

I've been collecting cels and sketches since 1996.

There were 2 reasons I closed Anime Chaos and focused only on SMJ. First was that SMJ was growing very rapidly and required my full attention. Secondly, everything was going CG and sketches for most series were a dime a dozen....cheap and plentiful. I just saw where the market was going and called it quits on AC to go full-time with SMJ.

I've toyed around with the idea of reopening AC but getting in good stock is hard to do these days without "picking" conventions, collections, and shops non-stop. The good genga/douga for new series are just too difficult to get to warrent a new-age AC.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hmm...it's just that I don't recall you being as much into sketches as you were before. That's why I was curious.

Or I suppose you were just collecting a number of them without me seeing you posting about them so I wasn't able to tell. :)
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Animechaos wrote:Think about all the series released in the past....say...3 to 4 years and ask yourself how many sketches you see from those series.
Yeah, i've definitely noticed the lack of availability of production art from recent series. Many of the more recent series i enjoy have either very few sketches available or nothing at all. Not a lot of stuff seems to survive nowadays :(
Keropi wrote:Anyone here get that Tokimeki Memorial trumpet pan cel? That was a really nice one.
I got that one, along with a few other TokiMemo cels that were on YJ at the same time: http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... esID=42676
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Macron one wrote:Not a lot of stuff seems to survive nowadays
Yeah. Tell me about it.

I've become a fan of a more recent anime and sadly, the majority of what I find looks like it came from the dumpster. It makes me think that dumpster diving is still a big thing in Japan, and something that still makes a legitimate income for certain sellers and their suppliers.

Granted, I can only speak from the CG title I collect from, but it looks like that all layouts are now just copy/paste reprints of finalized sketches, but just on layout paper. When I compare layout artwork from the same studio for non-CG anime to the new CG stuff, sequence numbers for the sketch used on the layout are included. Sequence numbers were largely absent in layouts from non-CG titles.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Very nice! So that was you eh? I see you got Yukari, Yumi-chan, Mio and Megumi as well. I was wondering who that might have been. I thought it might have been a collector of the series because so many went at the same time and not just the Ayako cel. I thought the Ayako cel could have easily been purchased by someone who knew nothing about the series.

EDIT:

Based off the way some of those sketches seem to be coming out, it seems that some of them are more available between collectors in Japan. The ones they don't want leaks out to YJ. With fewer of the newer shows sketches coming out, fewer of them have been coming out on YJ also.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Maybe it's just as well that I snatched up all those roughs and layouts from Powerpuff Girls Z when they were for a short time available. For about nine months it was fairly plentiful, then the market shut down with a snap. That series did use pencil-on-paper gengas and dougas, but I saw only a very few of these show up for auction, and mostly from the same show. That makes me suspect that a Toei employee bootlegged a box of stuff bound for the dumpster out with with him one night.

Similarly, sketches from Princess Tutu, mostly roughs and layouts, never have become widely available, though there too I believe paper gengas and dougas were used. One keeps an eye on Mandarake and YJ for these series and a few others (when it's not Lent) but we don't really know if there really is much more out there to bid on.

If what I hear is true, with newer series much of this work is being done on digital notepads, so that any paper copy of this sketchwork would be a print-out of a digital file rather than an original. Certainly changes the rules of the collecting game, making any art more like settei or storyboards than the one-of-a-kind images we've come to cherish.

Certainly it makes all of the sketches I've managed to acquire appear all the more precious in my eyes. Especially as we have no idea what percentage it represents of the total sum of artwork that survives for certain series.