A new CCS "Top Ten" Record-holder

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

A new CCS "Top Ten" Record-holder

Post by sensei »

The First Opening cels from CCS all went for premium prices, but the star of this year's BWA was this beauty:

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 0350100004

It sold for 309,700 JPY [$4032.54 plus commission], good enough for slot #8 in my little list of record-holding CCS prices, just next to the Kero-chan no Omakase pan cel of Sakura in the Pink Kitty battle costume. Worth noting that all the top ten items now are priced 300,000 yen or higher, six are from OP sequences, and two from the Kero-chan no Omakase segment.

Still unchallenged is the November 10, 2007 auction price (500,000 JPY) paid by an unidentified SMJ user for the episode-ending/TV-series-ending cel of Sakura holding Syaoran’s teddy bear in the last cut of Ep. 70 (with original bg).

Congratulations to the lucky high bidder and condolences to all those who were in the fight but unsuccessful.
Goldknight
RULER

Re: A new CCS "Top Ten" Record-holder

Post by Goldknight »

:jaw :jaw
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

The day I spend 4k on a cel will be the day I win the lottery....or the day I win 4k and blow it all on one epic cel. :P
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

sensei wrote:It sold for 309,700 JPY [$4032.54 plus commission]
So, add another $403.25 for commission. Plus shipping...
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Or... you could pick it up in person to avoid shipping (and possibly customs
charges) but then you'd be stuck paying 15,485 yen in sales tax.
LOL!
:rollin
I guess there's no escaping the extra fees that come from winning
a high ticket BWA item. :bawl
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

90sKid wrote:The day I spend 4k on a cel ...
Gee...I remember when I said something like that. Then you get hit with one of those "OMG! This exists?!" items and you find yourself ready to part with all sorts of crazy cash. I think everyone has an item where they'd consider ponying up serious cash if it appeared, and most of those probably aren't mentioned on any gallery wishlists.

The most I've seen a CCS cel sell for was $7K. If you want me to provide you with some more figures for your list, I'd be happy to do, Sensei.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

CB - I think Sensei only keeps track of auction prices. But you may have seen some that he missed, which I bet he'd love to add to his list. :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

I'd be happy to amend my little list to a "top twenty" or include non-auction prices as an add-on. I've not been constantly vigilant, but it does seem that October and November tend to be times when really nice things pop up.

Certainly it demonstrates that CCS prices can be inconsistent. Some things went for just the opening bid, while others went up and up and up.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

but it does seem that October and November tend to be times when really nice things pop up.
I certainly hope so Sir, it has been very deserty & slim pickings so far for 2011.

Would it be okay if you posted up your CCS list & notes? I am very interested in reading about the past record highs.
May even encourage others to post up a list/s they have kept for series' they ccollect?
I have records of Nadesico & Escaflowne.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

I'd be interested to see the list as well. So far, I've found CCS to be on the cheap side, especially when compared with cels from Rurouni Kenshin and Sailor Moon. Though nice cels of Sakura still have a lot of competition on YAJ.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Subject to revision from Cutiebunny...

Top 10 CCS auction prices as of October 2011(All auctions were on Yahoo Japan unless otherwise noted)

1. 500,000 yen: Episode-ending cel of Sakura holding Syaoran’s teddy bear in the last scene of Ep. 70 (the conclusion of the TV series), with original bg. (11/10/07)

2. 357,600 yen: Kerochan no Omakase Pan cel of Sakura in the “Alice” costume from the “Little” episode. (12/17/03)

3. 351,000 yen: Set of 3 OP 2 cels showing Sakura awakening: two of outline only, the third fully painted. (4/2/06)

4. 343,000 yen: Second Movie Pan cel of Sakura in her Princess outfit with original background. (12/15/03)

5. 322,000: OP2 cel of sleeping Sakura with leaf layer. (5/28/07)

6. 320,000: OP 1 Pan cel of Sakura flying on her staff in the pink frilly costume with Kerochan. (spring 2003)

7. ca. 310,000: Kerochan no Omakase Pan cel of Sakura in the Pink Kitty battle costume. (summer 2003)

8. 309,700 "Ko-i-shi-te-ru" reclining pose of Sakura in the OP1 (Mandarake 10/13/11)

9. 302,000: OP 1 cel of Sakura with her fists clenched deciding (a second too late) to talk to Yukito. (12/22/03)

10. 300,300: OP 1 pan cel of Sakura flying on her staff; stuck to douga, no Kero-chan layer. (1/10/06: Mandarake) [This went to Rallihir's Cel Gallery: http://rallihir.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=149890 and I recall that much of the AB community were on the sideline snarfing popcorn and cheering him on during this very competitive auction.]

I could dig up some of the old record-holders that were in the high 200,000 yen range that were bumped off, one by one. And I have saved some of the scans of the high-ticket items, though not all of them. (I do have scans of #1,#2, and #3 I see.)
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Wow!? The highest recorded price paid is half-million yen!

Hmmmm that was back in 2007 when the USD/JPY exchange rate was a lot more friendlier........if I remember the trade range for that year started around 116-117yen per 1USD, got as high as 124yen but then started to slide as the Sub-Prime Mortgage market collapsed & imploded, triggering off the "GFC" closing around 110yen at the end of the year.
Even with the favourable exchange, still looking at around USD4.2k as a base price, not including any further Commission, third-party fees and shipping costs.

Thank-you for the detailed & comprehensive list Sir. I would love to see any further scans you may to go with your listing, as well as any additional peripheral prices that didn't quite make the 'cut-off'. Tis all fascinating stuff.

Do we know where some of these pieces eventually ended up, or have they been sucked into the dark abyss of 'Private' collections?
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
sensei

Post by sensei »

This is a slightly expanded version of the list, with smaller pictures that I'd saved at the time of the auctions. I was not, alas, very conscientious, but I did get the top three. Also, as I did not record auction prices that didn't affect the top ten, I'm sure there are more recent auctions that would have ended in the 200K range and should be listed. If anyone has record of any of these, I'd be happy to amend this list.

Top 10 CCS auction prices as of October 2011
(All auctions were on Yahoo Japan unless otherwise noted)

1. 500,000 yen: Episode-ending cel of Sakura holding Syaoran’s teddy bear in the last scene of Ep. 70 (the conclusion of the TV series), with original bg. (11/10/07)

2. 357,600 yen: Kerochan no Omakase Pan cel of Sakura in the “Alice” costume from the “Little” episode. (12/17/03)

3. 351,000 yen: Set of 3 OP 2 cels showing Sakura awakening: two of outline only, the third fully painted. (4/2/06)

4. 343,000 yen: Second Movie Pan cel of Sakura in her Princess outfit with original background. (12/15/03)

5. 322,000: OP2 cel of sleeping Sakura with leaf layer. (5/28/07)

6. 320,000: OP 1 Pan cel of Sakura flying on her staff in the pink frilly costume with Kerochan. (spring 2003)

7. ca. 310,000: Kerochan no Omakase Pan cel of Sakura in the Pink Kitty battle costume. (summer 2003)

8. 309,700 Ko-i-shi-te-ru reclining pose of Sakura in the OP1 (Mandarake 10/13/11)

9. 302,000: OP 1 cel of Sakura with her fists clenched deciding (a second too late) to talk to Yukito. (12/22/03)

10. 300,300: OP 1 pan cel of Sakura flying on her staff; stuck to douga, no Kero-chan layer. (1/10/06: Mandarake)
Image Image

Other noteworthy prices

• 286,000: OP 3 cel of Sakura, close-up facial. (12/13/03)

• 286,000: OP 1 cel of Sakura, close-up facial as she wheels around in the sky. (7/21/06)

• 252,000: Second Movie matched set of Sakura and Syaoran cels from the closing scene. (9/4/03)

• 230,000: OP 3 cel of Sakura, close-up facial. (10/24/03)

• 225,100: OP 1 cel of Sakura from the Koishiteru sequence, twirling, eyes shut (Mandarake 10/14/11)

• 225,000: OP 1 cel of Tomoyo from the “Hora catch you catch you catch me catch me matte” sequence. (12/22/03)

• 219,800: OP 1 cel of Sakura from the Koishiteru sequence, twirling, eyes to viewer (Mandarake 10/11/11)

• 203,000 yen: OP 3 cel of a fully-fledged flying Sakura. (12/22/03)

All but #1 were significantly bested by the 470,100 yen paid for this paint-spattered and badly damaged layout from Heidi:
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I could have sworn I had some of those missing images saved, but I can't find them. :(

Anyway, here are the other two CCS 2nd OP cels from the awakening sequence:

Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

I believe this is number 5 based on your description. :) Also liked to keep images of some CCS cels I dreamt of having. :l

Sketches: