BWA Winter 2012

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

BWA Winter 2012

Post by sensei »

Another BWA is history, and I'm sure Betarians will be interested in knowing who was in the action and what spoils got brought home.

I wasn't in the action, except to look in every so often, mostly at closing prices. As in recent auctions, Miyazaki items regularly took premium prices including this not-very-finished Mononoke Hime sketch that began at a pricy but reasonable 35,000 yen and finished nearly ten times higher at 300,000 yen. There was also a background from Marco/10,000 Leagues in Search of Mother that came with a not-very-impressive layout. The description did not guarantee that it was done by Miyazaki (the series' layout supervisor) but enough bidders figured that it might be, so it jumped from 35,000 yen to a stiff 220,600. Even this pretty Marco bg, with no layout or direct Miyazaki association, went for 310,100JPY.

From a quick look-through, it seems the king of the BWA hill was also Miyazaki-based, an original set-up from Lupin III, The Castle of Cagliostro, which topped out at 1,700,100JPY. Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso materials did very well, as did the couple of items from Future Boy Conan.

As always, Saint Seiya, Yamato and Macross attracted bidders. There wasn't the quality of CCS as in previous auctions, but some nice items appeared and went for fair prices (notably the hankenesque pan cel of her "poofy green" battle costume). Overall, DBZ didn't seem to attract the same intensity of bidding, though this itemwent for a good price.

There were (to me) some surprises. This set-up from Ganba's Adventure/Ganba no Bōken with a pretty alpine setting started at just 5000 yen and was bid up to a respectable 80,100 JPY. I only know that it was a very early (1975) series about an mouse who longs to go to sea. Also interesting wasthis cel from Kimagure Orange Road that started at 15,000 JPY and went to 110,100 JPY.

Any adventures or observations worth reporting?
Thanatos
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: BWA Winter 2012

Post by Thanatos »

In the Evangelion items, this cel ended for a high price (with certificate, but cel stuck to the douga. I've seen one from the same scene 4 weeks ago on YA, with no certificate but with the cel not stuck to the douga, who ended at 250000 yens).

This lot of gengas also ended at a quite high price.

It confirms that Evangelion is really an overpriced series.

I noted also this pretty cel from Laputa, who ended at a (quite) reasonable price.
Last edited by Thanatos on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Most of the items I was watching had very limited bid activity, including this CLAMP color shikishi, which only went for its opening bid: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 9140100001

I think the offerings were somewhat sparse and the global economy is down enough that most items went for relatively normal prices, rather than the astronomical prices we usually associate with BWAs.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

This time, I did honestly not follow this event, just checked the 1600 registered items as usual.
Except the Mazinger Z art that had my interest, the Lupin Pilot genga, and some other pleasant layout drawings, I thought that this January reunion got some so-so taste.
Hope to see more exciting items in a coming BWA :)
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 1100100003
It seems this character is very rare to get. The winning result is $3512...

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 1090100003
$22,107

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 0310100005
This is one of my favorites from the catalog. It is a touching scene between Sakura and her father, if I were a CCS collector, I would have snagged it. I think the price result is a real steal, to me, it is worth at least $200.

The highlight is definitely Ayanami Rei, the scene where she smiles is an iconic and superb sequence. Good price, in my opinon.

The "picks" for this BWA is highly disappointing. Here's my hope for the next BWA:

**OPs and key scenes from CCS. Quality Hankens won't hurt either ;)
**OPs and harmony from Sailor Moon.
**Ghibli: More Kiki/Porco/Whisper please! Maybe some art from "The Cat Returns"?

And yeah, that's about it. Can't wait for the next BWA!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

ReiTheJelly wrote: I think the offerings were somewhat sparse and the global economy is down enough that most items went for relatively normal prices..
I think that prices were "low" simply because the offerings were not as good as they have been in recent years. Had there been a better selection, I think prices would have gone for just as much as they have in the past. This is the time of year where many Japanese are flush with their bonus, and I'm sure many of them would have spent it on the BWA had something really caught their eye. I've only been checking BWAs for about 7 years, but this is the first time I can recall being absolutely unimpressed with the Winter selection.

I thought it was interesting that this BWA had a good selection of shikishi done by shoujo artists who were popular in the 1970s. I don't know how high some of them sold for, but, it's good to see that there are still collectors out there that are in the market for artwork that is 30+ years old.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

it seems to me that the Ghibli rough sketches bring downright stupid money, most of them look to be
in not very good condition, tons of tape and some are REALLY rough, regardless of which movie they're from, Laputa, Mononoke or even Porco Rosso, and to bring the kind of insane $$ when there are soooo many showing up all over the place... :? they can have 'em
BUT with that being said, I did find this Laputa cel to be a very sweet set :P
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 0780100006
all in all I havent participated in any BWA for quite a few rounds now...
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

While there may not have been any truly outstanding CCS pieces in this BWA, there were certainly at least a couple of fairly good ones, so i couldn't resist bidding on a couple of them.
I was slightly tempted by the Kero corner cel, but it predictably attracted a lot of bidders and went for considerably more than i was prepared to bid. The episode 66 cel, while nice, was not quite 30.000 yen worth of nice IMO.

The cels i managed to get this time around:

Meiling helping Sakura seal The Cloud card

Sakura hugging her dad

Sakura looking upset as she discovers that Kero has moved into her desk drawer without asking her for permission
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Macron one wrote:While there may not have been any truly outstanding CCS pieces in this BWA, there were certainly at least a couple of fairly good ones, so i couldn't resist bidding on a couple of them.
I was slightly tempted by the Kero corner cel, but it predictably attracted a lot of bidders and went for considerably more than i was prepared to bid. The episode 66 cel, while nice, was not quite 30.000 yen worth of nice IMO.

Sakura hugging her dad

Sakura looking upset as she discovers that Kero has moved into her desk drawer without asking her for permission
congrats on the scores Macron one, while I'm not a CCS enthusiast of any sort I thought that hugging dad cel was really cute
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

Macron one wrote:While there may not have been any truly outstanding CCS pieces in this BWA, there were certainly at least a couple of fairly good ones, so i couldn't resist bidding on a couple of them.

Sakura hugging her dad

WOW! Congrats on getting those grade A CCS cels! :bounce :bounce :bounce
sensei

Post by sensei »

I figured someone from Beta might have been in the running for the CCS items. I'm glad these found good homes. While not as pricy as the Miyazaki-related items, I think they are more eyeworthy. One never knows what will prove a good investment in the long haul. I'm still hoping that Sasami: Magical Girls Club and Powerpuff Girls Z will eventually be seen as neglected masterpieces...
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Congrats, Macron one, they certainly look fantastic. You got them for a good price as well!
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I've always been hesitant to take part in BWA because 1) I'm hesitant to pay money just to have the right to bid 2) I know I won't win and they'll go for crazy amounts of money. As a result I miss out on a lot of neat stuff! Maybe one of these times...
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

This was the biggest eye popper for me. 8O

A beautiful original Miyazaki hand painted image board genga from a non specific show. (sorry, couldn't find the Eng link)

Started at 1,200,000 yen, ending price - 3,820,100 yen ($49,715 without all the fees etc). 8O

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc/itemIn ... 9290100001

Seriously... wow.... :bow
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Promethium wrote:This was the biggest eye popper for me. 8O

A beautiful original Miyazaki hand painted image board genga from a non specific show. (sorry, couldn't find the Eng link)

Started at 1,200,000 yen, ending price - 3,820,100 yen ( without all the fees etc). 8O

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc/itemIn ... 9290100001

Seriously... wow.... :bow
Wow, I didn't see that one before.

By the way, you can change the link into an English link by changing auc to auc_e.
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 9290100001