Question about Kenshin Cel

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Goldknight
RULER

Question about Kenshin Cel

Post by Goldknight »

Has anyone seen this auction? http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 6350100052

The scene comes from the very first episode of the series. The colors are off though aren't they? Is this truly a production cel? I know Mandy has always been reliable, but the colors stood out to me. Does anyone own a cel from this sequence for us to compare?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Re: Question about Kenshin Cel

Post by BuraddoRun »

I probably won't be any help since I don't have any specific knowledge about the cel or show (I saw the episode a LONG time ago and didn't really keep up with the series), but what is off about it exactly? Are the colors grossly different?

Could they have used some sort of after effects in the filming of the cel that made the coloring look different on screen? Are the colors faded on the cel itself that could be consistent with age and lack of care? Maybe Mandarake has an off-color scan for some reason?
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Compare it to this: http://youtu.be/2X1zw9uOz0E
At 2:37.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

Hmm...I see what you mean. If it is a repro or fancel or whatever, they did a good job. I was trying to look at the details like shading, certain lines, etc. The orange reflection in his hair seems slightly different. I don't know.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I can't vouch for Mandarake's reliability but I have seen several and possessed a few episode 1 cels of kenshin in the past. I think the color of this is legit. The shade looks correct to me, episode 1 cels were brownish which might seem odd but when I compare episode 1 episodes versus the later few episodes (which are brighter) it makes sense. The scan though looks slightly dark and colors in Hope that helps.
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

Colors look right to me. I compared it to mine. Episode 1 artwork is a little different than others. Same with all thru-out the series the art does change.