Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Grrrrr........ Shikishi

Post by Gonzai »

So, I haven't gone to Mandarake website for a long time, simply because
most generally they don't have anything I am looking for. So today, on a
whim, I went out and looked. As usual, there was nothing in the cel section
that I would want, so I sauntered on over to the shikishi section.

OMG, there it is!! @_@ The perfect shikishi I could ever want to give Rosemary
as a present. it has a fairly good starting price. Doesn't end till June 2, but
I thought I would test the waters. It has a bid, but shikishi doesn't go that
high, does it??

HOLY CRAP - yes it does!! O_O I am guessing my 25,000 yen bid wasn't even
close to being anywhere in the ballpark. -_- I had no idea. Now I need to watch
the auction just to see how high it ends up going. Sorry Rosemary, not this
time. -_-
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Grrrrr........ Shikishi

Post by rallihir »

Yes, shikishi are like the new cels some high end and some low end. I was in the Mandarake store in Nakano last summer and saw a load of shikishi and some original art for auction. Some of the bids were quite high (over 50,000 yen). The shikishi in the BWA are even higher. Some of the more popular mangaka have gone over 300,000 yen in the BWA.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Holy cow - that's just nuts. With that being said, I am surprised that they
give them to people at signings at some of the cons. maybe I should be buying
shikishi board and standing in lines. @_@
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I do remember Rick at Anime-Link always seems to have some for auction at different con's. Most seem to run in the $1k range
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I do remember Rick at Anime-Link always seems to have some for auction at different con's. Most seem to run in the $1k range
That's about right. The couple really nice shikishi Rick had last year from Nozoi Ito of Shana from Shakugan no Shana went for over $3000.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

OH MY GAWD!! @_@
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't remember Rick having a Shakugan sketch at the auction. He did have a Noizi Ito sketch from Flyable Hearts, though.

3K is more or less the average price for shikishi from well know artists at conventions. Half of the items at convention charity auctions I've attended this year have ended at 3K or higher. The highest price I've seen paid for a shikishi at a convention is 15K, though I've heard that, before the anime market crashed in the mid-2000s, there were some sketches that cleared 20K.

It's a lot harder to get sketches at conventions than it once was. It used to be that, because there were only a handful of people at these cons who would line up for guests, you could get something nice, especially if you were one of the first 10-20 people. But not so anymore. If it's not conventions that clamp down on it, it's their sponsors that do. Aniplex is notorious for this; Guests that they bring over rarely draw, and usually only for charity auction items. Guests rarely have the freedom they once did, and usually their manager or that of the convention has already specified what they can and can not do. More and more, when you line up for an autograph, that's all you'll get.

Lately though, at least in regards to US conventions, if you want something nice from a well known artist, there are two ways to get it - Charity/ Private Dealer auctions and connections/bribery. The latter is something few people want to talk about but it does happen at every convention. It usually involves the higher ups in convention management or various companies hooking up "friends" (either old time friends of management and/or financial backers) with nice sketches. These favors are usually granted to you if a convention or company feels you're a valuable asset to keep around. You often have to pay for the sketches, and you're instructed to not publicly show them.

That being said, I don't anticipate this AX being a good one, as both abec and Sushio are sponsored by Aniplex.