Sailor Moon collectors...

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Sailor Moon collectors...

Post by majinuub »

They're now invading the everyday auctions :P .
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

*dies*
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Jadeduo wrote:*dies*
LOL!

Its very typical of Mandarake, though. Theres always higher-quality stuff listed in the everyday auction section during and after a Big Web auction.
Someone must have dumped quite the Sailor Moon collection recently... probably timed it with the release of Crystal. ;)
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

It looks like a lot of them say "for exhibition," and are lacking sequence numbers...are they more of the exhibition cels produced by the studio for display?

Think I am going to have to sit this round out! I'm poor! :P
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

The "For Exhibition cels" According to Mandarake, are studio produced. The line fading, very typical of Toei is indicative of that.

There was a hugely long thread where we talked about the authenticity of these pieces, they are not production, but they are not fancels. They were produced by the studio is some what because they seem to be made off the production dougas. The Beta thread is linked up from my RS Gallery so I don't have to go hunting for it.

Here is where I kind of break it down the best I can from what I have figured out:

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=369806

A few months later I was able to acquire a Genga set 6 or so months later from the same sequence, checkout the similarities! :vict

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=382110

I am still contemplating the bill for BWA came today and there are moths flying out of my wallet right now. It depends on how high the exhibition cels go, I have seen them go for crazy money because they came from important scenes and some of the international collectors do not pay enough attention to the details driving up the price. However if they go to close to the opening bid they are pretty and decently priced.

JD
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

That makes sense! The cel I have of Neptune battling through mirror parodies was one of these; it went first through Mandarake and then ended up on YJ some time afterward, where I first saw it and purchased it. It's a gorgeous cel, and it doesn't particularly bother me that it wasn't the exact one used in shooting. I compared it to a screenshot and it's very nearly exactly the same, with only one small area of shading difference. If I can get around to it, I'll have to post a side-by-side comparison and expand the commentary on its origins in my gallery.

I'm still undecided on the latest crop, but I'll probably steer clear. (I'm kind of hoping the prices come back down to where they have typically been in the last year or two, and that the BWA prices were just typical for BWA and for cels of that quality, and not more unilaterally representative of SM pricing!) At any rate, I'm still waiting on my final bill from Mandarake. I sent them a friendly reminder after the 3 day-window, and they responded that they would send it soon...they must be very busy sorting out all the winners of the BWA! :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I agree that the origins don't really matter to me if it is a scene I really want something from, but the best thing I think we can do is document in the long run and try to find out as much as possible ^_^;; I mean obviously I don't want a fan cel, but if we are talking a hand produced by the studio cel, that was used in a one off museum show that is almost exactly like piking up a Rilezu from a digital show, so why not? ^_^

I know I will be going after Juppy (obvious) but some of the others I am thinking about as well, I am trying to be cautious of my outside Juppy purchases JIC something like the BWA happens again.

My BWA bill was paid I think Wednesday I still don't have the tracking number but if it is taking them a while to get things sorted then maybe I won't see the hanken until next week. Until then I wait with baited breath ^_^

JD
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I officially don't get why that Jupiter went so high? It isn't production and is not even in that good a shape...

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=312985

IDK...

/?: /?: /?: /?:

Anyone have any ideas @_@

JD
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Hey JD!
Oh wow, that is crazy! 8O I was wondering how the rest of the auctions had gone (I caved and got the Chibiusa/sending-off cel on Sunday, and then banned myself from watching any of the rest of the auctions lest I be tempted. I can't believe Michiru/Haruka only went for 12,500...I am now really mad at myself for walking away!!)

That is a lot higher than I would have thought for a solo senshi, but it's a great image of her so maybe that's why? The Rei-in-the-rain listing went for more than double its selling price in March of last year, and that is surprising, too. Hopefully this is not a sign of an uptick in SM prices. But it's just so volatile and unpredictable! I was really afraid the Michiru was going to climb by closing Monday AM, but it apparently didn't. At all.

(Edited to add--ok, hold up. And why was Chibimoon 27.5K???)

I don't know. After watching every auction for the last year, I still don't understand the cel market. Did you end up getting it (I hope)?
Last edited by lunacels on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Oh, and ps--still don't have my BWA bill! I am starting to get nervous! :?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

No I tapped out, Blah, maybe I am just picky! It's nice but I have better, and paid the same amount for it, that might be why I am so annoyed about it :badass

@Cutiebunny was talking me down yesterday, "Repeat after me, I do not need to own all the things..."

I'm like, "Why not!?" :bawl

I am not sure why that Chibi-moon went so high it doesn't make sense it is super pretty but I don't think she is worth over $200... I am still in the midst of a payment plan for a smattering of Chibi-usa in different incarnations... Maybe I am getting a bargain and don't know it! ^_^;; *started before the BWA*

LOL, I know who got the Rei, she collects Episode 99 and missed that other one last year... Keep in mind though, with the way the yen is right now, 19000 is like $150 US so she got maxed out but it is a wishlist cel so :vict

I still haven't gotten my tracking number from them for my Hanken either! E-mailing them today this is ridiculous and their turn around is usually so good!

JD
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Cutiebunny is very wise. I keep sternly telling myself that, too...yet put up a pretty Michiru/Haruka, and it goes in one ear and out the other! :crackup

That makes sense that Rei went to an episode collector. That will be a nice addition! And I hope you've gotten your tracking numbers (or package, better yet) by now. Can't wait for your next update. :D
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I see someone updated her lovelies!! ^_^ I am so jealous!

Mine is still in transit supposedly... :/

*sighs*

Oh wellsies ^_^;; I still have plenty in the to be posted folder, I am planning on working on Loveless and some Saiyuki pieces tonight! Wish me luck!

JD
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Ha, I tore into that package the second I got home!! I hope yours comes this week. Looking forward to all your updates...that was a lovely R movie Jupiter you just updated! :D
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks! I love her too! I also hope I gets my package soon! ^_^