Question on placing bids

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Question on placing bids

Post by tarakatsuki »

I was wondering something about placing bids on Mandarake auctions since I went through this earlier this week. Just to use some random numbers for example:
Say an item is currently at 5000 yen. It says bid increments are 500 yen.

I want to bid high and am willing to go up to 20000 yen. So I try and bid for that particular amount. It doesn't accept my bid and the item remains at 5000 yen.

I then try to bid for 5500 yen and that one goes through, but says that somebody else is the highest bidder and I'm automatically outbid. The price of the item goes up and then again it will only let me place a bid if I put it for 6000 yen. So if I want to work towards the amount that's my max, I have to do it multiple times and work my way there only in increments of 500 yen.

So how come somebody else was able to put in one high amount and have their bid take, but I am not able to just do the same and put in the max amount I want to do? Because if they were higher than mine, it should just raise the auction to the amount I just put in for my max.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Re: Question on placing bids

Post by teggacat »

in my experience with this is if you are the first bidder you can bid as high an amount as you want, every bid on that auction afterwards is done in 500 increments
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: Question on placing bids

Post by tarakatsuki »

teggacat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 am in my experience with this is if you are the first bidder you can bid as high an amount as you want, every bid on that auction afterwards is done in 500 increments
Perhaps the site glitches differentl a bit for different people? The last auction I won, I did place a bid that was a good bit higher than the previous bids, and I didn't have to slowly go up in increments of 500 yen. There were at least a couple of bids on it by the time I put mine in. I had also looked at the FAQ regarding how to place bids on Mandarake first to double check in case I was missing something, but it only verified that what I was trying to do, should work.

I've sent an email to their support, so just waiting to hear back. Hopefully they will be able to help.