Tempted to go for Naruto Genga | BWA

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
PhantomWolf

Re: Tempted to go for Naruto Genga | BWA

Post by PhantomWolf »

cutiebunny wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:06 pm I use PayPal to pay the registration fees and it is instantaneous. If you have your PayPal account linked to Mandarake, it'll take you to the PayPal page once you've selected to pay the 500 yen participation fee.

I would recommend paying that route. It's a lot easier than trying to pay with a credit card.
i don't have a paypal :x
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I also just use PayPal to pay for Mandarake now.

However, when I did use a regular credit card, the CC would would just decline any charge from Mandarake.

The steps I would go through were:

1. I would pay with the card.
2. It would be declined.
3. I'd call the card's fraud department.
4. Sometimes the fraud department would tell me that 'I shouldn't trust this merchant, but they would let the charge through this time.'
5. I would then pay with the card again, and it would work.

It was annoying, and I would have to do it every time... so, I wish you luck.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I did once get a phone call from my credit card about a Mandarake charge. The contact person was not at all pushy or discourteous, but actually interested in my experience bidding on a Japanside auction site, which he'd never run into before. I looked up the two wins and worked out a rough guess at what the price (in yen) would amount to in dollars. They matched the two charges that the company had gotten from Mandarake, and so they let them go through without any further ado.

But yeah, lately I pay through PayPal and that is no trouble at all.
PhantomWolf

Post by PhantomWolf »

well the bid just went up to 12,000 yen so i'm gonna have to pass on this unfortunately

thank you all for the advice; here's to next time! :cheers
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yes, better to have a limit and stick to it rather than get caught in a bidwar and be tempted to go way beyond what your finances can bear.

Bad news: you don't get to own that cel or sketch.

Good news: you get to keep your money. And I've had many experiences where I unsuccessfully bid on an item and then, later on, obtained a sequence buddy (sometimes a nicer one) for a much more reasonable price.

But yeah, I feel for you. Losing an auction is never a pleasant experience. :flushie :bawl :bwall
PhantomWolf

Post by PhantomWolf »

welp the auction has come and past and the final price ended up at 69,000 yen after 73 bids

yeah....there was no way i was gonna get it even if i tried :flushie
sensei

Post by sensei »

That's realistic: but stay alert. There was one CCS cel that I wanted badly, but the price (on eBay) went up and up so steeply that all I could do was watch and congratulate myself for having good taste. Then a sequence-mate showed up on a dealer's page for one-tenth the amount of the cel I'd coveted. Generate cel-collectors' good karma and in their own time the celga-no-kami (or genga-no-kami) will be kind to you.
PhantomWolf

Post by PhantomWolf »

what's a sequence mate?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

A sequence mate refers to another image from the same scene in question.
Depending on the scene cut length (which is the screen time that image is animated before changing) you can have many images all slightly changed from the one before creating the "animated" image. They are all marked from the A layer A1-A2-A3 ect. Same with the B & C layers if the scene requires them.

You find that Cel sequences tend to be broken up and sold so many times you might find another of the sequence in another collection or up for sale on Ebay or YJ.

I have found that the later non cel based anime that sellers tend to sell the sequences of the cut complete and not broken up so you end up getting the rough , genga , correction sheets as well as the douga in an envelope with the timing sheet which is great.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei

Post by sensei »

Some popular series also have the genga/douga sequences broken up and sold separately. I don't know about Naruto, but this item-by-item sale was done with Fruits Basket, Wolf's Rain, Yamibou, Kino's Journey, and Rozen Maiden. It's better for collectors if these sketches are sold as a unit, but alas what's done is done.