Question about the Rei Movie cel on Mandarake

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
sakura
Otaku - Fanatic

Question about the Rei Movie cel on Mandarake

Post by sakura »

Hi

first sorry to post again about this cel but I really would like to have advice on it .
It is about the Rei Evangelion Movie cel from Mandarake Big Web Auctions.
Here is the link :
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 9540100001

Absolutely gorgeous cel but... it looks a lot like the new reproduction hand painted cels from Gainax.
I have contacted mandarake about it, and here is their reply :

"The anime cel is in fact the real one and if you have the limited reproduction cel, you can see the difference of the two.
The hand tracing and coloring of the real one we are currently listing are all done on the back of the cel while the reproduction cel are done on the front since the procedure is done by a machine.

In addition, we do provide a certificare of authenticity for the anime cel but please note that the certificate is from Mandarake, not Gainax."

I thought the first reproduction series cels were done by a machine but as I can remember these particular ones were completely handpainted. Am I wrong?
Morever I am not sure a certificate from Mandarake is a real good proof, as I read the bad story with Kuruma reproduction cel a few months ago. :?

This cel catches my eye but I think 200000 yens is really tooooo expensive for a reproduction. 8O
Any idea around here?
Many thanks :)
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

I know what you mean when you say that a certificate from Mandarake isnt any *real* proof, but it does mean that if indeed the cel is a repro then they would be obliged to refund your money. Also this is the Big Web Auction so they had to have prepared it for quite some time, the cel did appear in the catalogue ect, so I think they did their research well so the chance for such a foulup is rather small. I would lean towards trusting Mandarake, I dont think that they would try to cheat anyone, espeically on their Big Web Auction when their reputation is on the line, with repro cels.

Oh and about the repro, I think that what they meant was that the trace lines were put on by machine which is a different process then the way they are put on in the studio... but dont hold me to this as my knowlage of repro cels is rather limited.

Hope that helps ^_^

Pomidor
Marauder
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Marauder »

This is the best image of the reproduction that I could find:

http://www.gainax.co.jp/special/top100/

If you look closely, the sequence numbers appear differently. Also, IMO, the shadows look slightly different between the two cels. I'd say that it's pretty likely the one on Mandarake is real. I want it soooo badly....
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

me too ^_^

I dont collect EVA.. but it would be very very cool to have a cel that a repro was made of... I wonder how high it will go.. I reckon 400,000 at least.

Pomidor