Hi?

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Hi?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Tsunami3k wrote:Hmmm, well there are lots of shows that I like well enough to get production art for but many are post-cel era properties sadly.

[Cel Era]
A/OMG, Galaxy Angel, Cowboy Bebop, City Hunter, Video Girl Ai, Kare Kano, Nadesico, Macross Plus, Magnetic Rose, Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Perfect Blue, Kiki's Delivery Service...
[Post-Cel Era]
Haibane Renmei, Simoun, Last-Exile, Twelve Kingdoms, Princess Tutu, Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, FLCL, Gunbuster 2, Black Heaven(Cels?), Gunslinger Girl, Spice and Wolf, Millennium Actress, Kamichu!...
that's is quite a diverse list. any plan on making a collection from post-cel era? I remember around a year ago there was a member here liquidating all of his sketch collection from twelve kingdoms. it was quite a big collection of it with over 1000 sketches. not sure if its sold, maybe you'd still be able to contact the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... true&rt=nc
Tsunami3k
Anime Geek

Re: Hi?

Post by Tsunami3k »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:that's is quite a diverse list. any plan on making a collection from post-cel era? I remember around a year ago there was a member here liquidating all of his sketch collection from twelve kingdoms. it was quite a big collection of it with over 1000 sketches. not sure if its sold, maybe you'd still be able to contact the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... true&rt=nc
If something catches my eye then I'm open to post-cel era material. I've got a few Azumanga (Chiyo-chan, Miss Sakaki) and a few Genshiken (Ogiue, Saki, the gang playing video games) sketches but I'm not get convinced that I can find something truly monumental within this particular slice of the production medium. For post-era art, I'd say the deciding factor is price. I have been very impressed by the detail of some art but the lot of it seems to lack the emotional punch of a top-tier cel. Obviously this is where things are headed (and may arguably be as short-lived as the cel era) but, for what flips my switches, the price must be much more reasonable than that of a similar grade of cel. That said, I'm very open to production sketches for just about any property that moves me (e.g. Simoun).

For whatever reason (and I accept that mine may not match the majority opinion) rilezu do not inspire anywhere close to the same zeal that cels do for me.

Thanks Mr. Lee for pointing me to that Twelve Kindgoms seller. I haven't seen much from this franchise other than a steady stream of marginal "noise" items so I'll bet an actual collector would have some nice material up for grabs.

Thank you Sensei for your multiple insights. It's interesting to hear an explanation as to why I have seen next to nothing regarding Haibane material. What a terrible shame as very, very few things have shaken me at my very foundations. It's a mixed blessing that, as you pointed out, my tastes are fairly eclectic. I've taken on a very "it's the journey stupid!" tack to my consumption of anime such that an incongruous ending, a few rough episodes passed off to the "b-team", an iffy score, etc. don't necessarily mean doom for a series. Rather, I might fall for the character designs, a particularly complex or well-portrayed character and/or relationship, an exceptional soundtrack or whatever. There are so many talented people typically involved in any production that I try not to be so arrogant as to dismiss something too quickly for a flaw or two so long as I can leave with some morsel or, better yet, a gem! And somehow, after over a decade of watching anime, I've still managed to retain this peculiar, starry-eyed approach to my favorite medium.

But then I suppose this is hardly a revelation to any of my fellow omnivores. ;D Viva la omnivores!!!