So you're new to the cel community (help thread)

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: So you're new to the cel community (help thread)

Post by JWR »

duotrouble wrote:I'd like to add that I think it's a great idea that you want to help out the newbies of the community. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked questions regarding some of your topics. Nice work! :^^:

However, I would like to point this out.
JWR wrote:This works both ways , If you say you will make the payment by a set date do so just as the seller should ship the item once it’s paid for when they say the should and provide scanned proof of shipment by an agreed upon date.
As I seller, I am NOT required to scan you a copy of the receipt nor do I. I keep the communication lines open during my entire selling periods. There are plenty of people here who can vouch for that. I'm not against scanning this information and will should there become an issue of some kind. But please don't tell people it's expected. Those are sellers going above and beyond what they need to do as many dealers don't do this unless requested also.
I put that part in due to the fact that there are some out there unlike trusted sellers like yourself and others here, who have lead on and strung out newbies with assurances that the item has been shipped when in truth it has not. We have all seen posts where an item never arrived and the person had "being trusting" found that the date to file a dispute with paypal had passed. It just eliminates problems and can be something that can be part of the negotiations for the sale.

Maybe it's just the way I do business but I routinely send a scan of the post office shipping documents to the person I'm selling to for it does relieve any apprehension for the buyer that I might not uphold my part of the bargain.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I figured it was part of your selling routine. My routine is to email/pm the buyer to let them know it's been mailed. By the time they could ask me for a copy of the receipt and I get around to scanning it, they would already have their package. :^^: Scanning too much hurts my back due to how I have everything setup currently. That second car accident did a number to it so I scan as little as possible right now.

I was basically just asking you to reword your statement to "ask for a scanned copy". That way they are no expectations of it and the buyer will be pleasantly surprised and excited when you do send one. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

duotrouble wrote:I figured it was part of your selling routine. My routine is to email/pm the buyer to let them know it's been mailed.

I was basically just asking you to reword your statement to "ask for a scanned copy". That way they are no expectations of it and the buyer will be pleasantly surprised and excited when you do send one. :)
I've never gotten a scanned copy of the PO documents.
I appreciate that the seller will usually email me stating that the package is sent, and in the message they will copy down the numbers from the Delivery Confirmation and/or Insurance.

The few times that I have sold, I have put the shipping info in the email notifying the buyer that the package is on its way, but never have I scanned them.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

miz ducky wrote:
duotrouble wrote:I figured it was part of your selling routine. My routine is to email/pm the buyer to let them know it's been mailed.

I've never gotten a scanned copy of the PO documents.
I appreciate that the seller will usually email me stating that the package is sent, and in the message they will copy down the numbers from the Delivery Confirmation and/or Insurance.

The few times that I have sold, I have put the shipping info in the email notifying the buyer that the package is on its way, but never have I scanned them.
I agree. I have bought a lot from private sellers and from ebay and have never received a scan. I have received emails stating it's been sent with the Delivery Confirmation or insurance tracking numbers.

Like DT said, when I have sold items I send a email stating it's been sent and haven't always sent the tracking numbers b/c I'm too lazy to get them out of my purse. Since I have always sent priority mail, the package is there quickly and I haven't been asked for the numbers if not provided.

If I have sold or bought from a beta member I usually follow up with a pm or email making sure they received it/saying I did and making sure everything was ok.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Ok I edited that part to read

"This works both ways , If you say you will make the payment by a set date do so just as the seller should ship the item once it’s paid for and provide proof of shipment by emailing the tracking information by an agreed upon date. "
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Perfect! :) Thank you very much! Sorry for being a pain about it.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Yes, the ALICE series has a perfect operational record. :-) You are quite welcome.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
JWR

Post by JWR »

duotrouble wrote:Perfect! :) Thank you very much! Sorry for being a pain about it.
Yours and others help is very welcome :D
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

Also....Ship the thing out the second you receive payment....
If you sell more then one thing and are waiting for payment for the other, just send out the first package...since the other payer maybe late with paying you...

Ex:

I've waited to mail out packages together, but then time escapes me and then one packages is sent out early while the other late....
Yes It's happened like 2 times, and I'm sorry if I've sent out a package late, but when I do I usually add something extra "like a sketch" to make up for it......

I also buy on impulse too
:hurt: Yeah.....FREEZE your credit card, so when you get the urge, you have to wait until it warms up and by then you should have calmed down....

ON Sketch sets:
If you want a large sketch set (and it's on auction) and the price is on the high side, ask other members if they will pitch in, then you can split the sketches up. (unless you want a pile of sketches)

No Mean NO, and then maybe YES:
If you like something in another person's gallery...try to not send too many requests their way. If they say they are not selling it, don't email them every day nagging them......Maybe email them....Let's say....TWICE a year? Or what sounds more reasonable????

Never-ending quest:
Realize that's it's impossible to OWN every single cel/sketch of "INSERT NAME". I've heared how people get mad, and recently the whole thing with that chick and her like for a certain character. So don't get mad/upset if you see a gallery full of your fave character and the person won't sell you their piece. Imagine it was you, would you like someone being mean to you because you don't sell something????
You are better of trying to TRADE for something than buying it....
So....you can't own everything....
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

moonrabitt wrote:Also....Ship the thing out the second you receive payment....
If you sell more then one thing and are waiting for payment for the other, just send out the first package...since the other payer maybe late with paying you...
You should let the buyer know when you plan on shipping, yes definitely, but it's not neccessarily going to be the next day or so. I think buyers need to realize too that next day shipping isn't a guarantee. It's nice, but shouldn't be assumed. If you, the seller, know you can only make it to the post office on a certain day, let the buyer know you can only ship then, and that payment needs to be made x amount of time before hand so you can ready the package. When there's multiple sales, having a set shipping date is convenient as it minimizes the number of trips to the post office.

I work full time and can't always make it to the post office during it's normal hours. I also don't trust leaving a cel in the 24/7 bin for fear of something bigger and heavier being dropped on it if the cel doesn't fall into the bin flat, so while I do usually pay postage online, I'll hand the package to an actual postal employee.

Also, paying postage online via Paypal or USPS.com is a good record of shipments too - plus there's a discount for using it.
lcatino

Post by lcatino »

Ex:

I've waited to mail out packages together, but then time escapes me and then one packages is sent out early while the other late....
Yes It's happened like 2 times, and I'm sorry if I've sent out a package late, but when I do I usually add something extra "like a sketch" to make up for it......

I also buy on impulse too
:hurt: Yeah.....FREEZE your credit card, so when you get the urge, you have to wait until it warms up and by then you should have calmed down....

ON Sketch sets:
If you want a large sketch set (and it's on auction) and the price is on the high side, ask other members if they will pitch in, then you can split the sketches up. (unless you want a pile of sketches)

No Mean NO, and then maybe YES:
If you like something in another person's gallery...try to not send too many requests their way. If they say they are not selling it, don't email them every day nagging them......Maybe email them....Let's say....TWICE a year? Or what sounds more reasonable????

Never-ending quest:
Realize that's it's impossible to OWN every single cel/sketch of "INSERT NAME". I've heared how people get mad, and recently the whole thing with that chick and her like for a certain character. So don't get mad/upset if you see a gallery full of your fave character and the person won't sell you their piece. Imagine it was you, would you like someone being mean to you because you don't sell something????
You are better of trying to TRADE for something than buying it....
So....you can't own everything....
All excellent suggestions Moonrabitt!

Gah, if I knew half of what I know now when I first started.....

Well, I'm not going to dwell on it. ^^

I do agree with Syan. Making a million trips to the post office isn't necessary (and a waste of gas!). Just letting the buyer know when their items will be mailed should be good enough. I've had sellers let me know they could only mail my package a week after my payment was received, and I was fine with that. Communication is key! :D
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

[add to community]
..and if you have mystery cels that you can't tell what series they are from, email Zag (zagadgita-AT-gmail.com).
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

syan wrote:
You should let the buyer know when you plan on shipping, yes definitely, but it's not neccessarily going to be the next day or so. I think buyers need to realize too that next day shipping isn't a guarantee. It's nice, but shouldn't be assumed. If you, the seller, know you can only make it to the post office on a certain day, let the buyer know you can only ship then, and that payment needs to be made x amount of time before hand so you can ready the package. When there's multiple sales, having a set shipping date is convenient as it minimizes the number of trips to the post office.
Yes! The statement should read don't expect shipment the next day. Communication is the key. If I'm only selling one item, I try to get to the post office as soon as possible. However, as I've stated a million times, my schedule clashes with the post office so it's hard to get there on some days. If I'm selling multiple items, I usually ship in two waves. The first wave is the first half of my buyers who paid first. Second wave is the rest. When I have 20 auctions and all 20 sell, it's hard for me to carry 20 items. And while carrying 10 isn't that easy either, I do it. :^^:

I laughed at the no means no and then sometimes yes. So true! As long as people don't harass you about your cel, I don't think there will be a problem. I've sold a few cels I told people originally that I wasn't interested in selling. Tastes change. But that being said, you will run into those cels in people's galleries that won't be leaving them. I have a few with such special memories for me that if I were to leave collecting completely I still wouldn't get rid of them. Those are no means no. But on ones I could see maybe in the future I might sell, I will always tell my potential buyer that I will mark the cel to ask them about it. :wink:

I find it very interesting to read this thread being an old timer and not a newbie. It opens my eyes to how other people view sellers. I can also tell those who have sold a lot verus those who haven't. Very interesting. :)
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

Ya...reading it again I'll re-phrase it....
Ship it at least 7 days after they pay...???
Well the ones you guys say sounds better :wink:
I laughed at the no means no and then sometimes yes. So true! As long as people don't harass you about your cel, I don't think there will be a problem.
Yep No means no and than maybe yes XD
The thing is that I have heared of people that want the cel and take it too far, call people names, and then spam their Rb gallery or give them really LO W scores...I think it mostly happened to people with SM accounts....So A TIP;
If you REALLY want something, harassing the person will lower your chances of getting the piece.

I've sold a few cels I told people originally that I wasn't interested in selling. Tastes change.
...I think the best suggestion under a cel in the Rb private comment section, who is interested in it, their email and when they emailed you, so when you do want to sell it you can contact them...or else you will forget and they will be mad at you since you said you would sell them to them. This happened to me once, forgot who wanted to buy the item, and now I'm sure the person is mad at me :l
But that being said, you will run into those cels in people's galleries that won't be leaving them. I have a few with such special memories for me that if I were to leave collecting completely I still wouldn't get rid of them. Those are no means no. But on ones I could see maybe in the future I might sell, I will always tell my potential buyer that I will mark the cel to ask them about it. Wink
Yeah, there are some people that say they will be buried with their cels, so getting those will be almost impossible to get....The best chance to get an item is to wait for the person to have a sale, but even then, they may not want to part with it.....

Or additional tips for NEWBIES:

1).Don't try to be a dealer (Don't buy stuff to later re-sell it)
Because the economy seems to be slow as of late, so unless the piece is from a very liked anime, then chances of re-selling it is low...Just check the 4 sale sections, there are great deals but almost no one is buying them....

2).Don't expect to resell your item for as much as you bought it for...
Chances are, you will probably resell the item for lower than what you got it for, maybe half as much, depending on the series....

3). Don't vent about another collector unless you have time to calm down....
I'm sure you probably have seen the angry posts at Animanga...
Try to not make ENEMIES....have time to calm down and think about it carefully...

4). Don't think that just because you sent an offer first that it will accepted....
The point of a sale is to make money....Yes you may have a friend that offers something, but if someone else offers 2 times as much, and you REALLY need the money, then don't expect the seller to take your lower offer. The seller should tell you what the offer of the other person is, and then maybe you could raise it....But don't be mad....Don't mix friendship and business (like said before)

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
*Don't be angry at people that have a larger collection than you
*or people that have stuff that you want....
*Ask for help if you don't know how to do something...

Try not to sell with ebay...since know they require Paypal, and you will loss out with fees, so READ their site and their fees before you use the site....
GFunk

Re:

Post by GFunk »

A lot of good information in this thread, thank you. As a n00b I am trying to learn the ropes and this helped :cheers
sensei wrote:I would add something to the effect that collectors should recognize that the things they collect are unique, one-of-a-kind art objects, and as such they demand an extra level of long-term commitment to preservation. If you allow a rare comic book or baseball card to deteriorate or be damaged due to sloppy storage or exposure to the elements, well then you can always buy another. But once the cel or sketch that you own has been damaged, then that image is defaced for eternity. For that reason, anyone who collects should should be prepared to carry out regular maintenance needed to ensure that the items you collect remain in at least the condition in which they were bought. Understand the issues of line fading and adhesive tape burning (the two biggest threats to animation art), know the proper way to store cels and sketches, have archival-quality bags (the ones they come in are often not sufficient), cel books, and/or acid-free storage boxes, and check the condition of your collection regularly.
this pertains to my interest. Are there any good articles you know of that can educate a n00b on proper storage, I framed all my pieces and put them on the wall, now you have me all freaked out I am going to ruin my cels