So you're new to the cel community (help thread)

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: So you're new to the cel community (help thread)

Post by ReiTheJelly »

If you frame your cels, you'll need to make sure that they are behind UV-protected glass (like Museum Glass), and have been matted using acid-free materials. Once framed, they should be hung on a wall with no direct sunlight so as to minimize any long-term damage.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Re:

Post by sensei »

GFunk wrote: Are there any good articles you know of that can educate a n00b on proper storage, I framed all my pieces and put them on the wall, now you have me all freaked out I am going to ruin my cels
Gomenasai: while I wanted to stress the need to take on the long-term responsibility of maintaining a collection, I certainly did not mean to freak anyone out. I stand on the substance of what I said: we collect unique objects, and so we need to accept that responsibility. We own our cels more absolutely than a sports memorabilist "owns" a rare baseball card. So it's essential to learn the challenges of maintaining our art in the condition in which we obtained them.

But your cels likely are in a better home now than they've been in the past. You can give them a stable environment, protect them from careless handling, and inspect them regularly, which doesn't happen when they're in a dealer's stock. I've kept my cels for over ten years now, and with a few exceptions I've not seen them deteriorate appreciably.

One of the few was a cel that I framed and carelessly displayed in a bright room (though not in direct sunlight). So in reaction I tend to be a "keep 'em in the dark" person.

However, other collectors have successfully framed and displayed their work. I'd say do a global search on the site for "frame" or "framing," and you'll find a number of threads (some with grumpy remarks from this source) in which other collectors found ways of displaying their possessions and enjoying them on a daily basis without damage.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Yes I agree with Sensei, do use the seach funtion and I'm sure you will find a lot of threads that pertain to a lot of your questions on cel care as well as framing. One thing I can add is to even if you use uv treated glass or plastic do make sure of where you display your cels because even if you protect against UV they still can be damaged by heat from sunlight or lamps.

I do have a few items framed but most are kept in books in a cool place. It's one of the main reasons I have an online gallery so I can view my cels with out needing to handle them.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GFunk

Post by GFunk »

thank you for your replies, I have them all hung in a room where no outside light shines in, so I feel a little better. I didnt get the museum glass but I always mount on acid free mat :bounce
JWR

Post by JWR »

GFunk wrote:thank you for your replies, I have them all hung in a room where no outside light shines in, so I feel a little better. I didnt get the museum glass but I always mount on acid free mat :bounce
For some reason light from flourecent (sp) lights does do more damage to cels especially causing line fading. you may want to look into replacing the glass in the frames with UV protected plastic or glass.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GFunk

Post by GFunk »

JWR wrote: For some reason light from flourecent (sp) lights does do more damage to cels especially causing line fading. you may want to look into replacing the glass in the frames with UV protected plastic or glass.
I will look into it, where they are the only light that even hits them would be the kitchen light that has a frosted piece of glass covering the bulbs, so it probably does a decent job diffusing the light
1hellofabutler

Post by 1hellofabutler »

Hello,

I don't know if this is where it goes but I'm new to this forum. Hello! I know a few of you already and was recommended to get a rubberslug site and come on here so here I am :3

I was into clamp for a while but I'm getting into more I guess obscure animes...I've always liked Loki Ragnarok, Vegeta...just Vegeta..there should be a Vegeta show, where he just crabs at everyone on the show and he wears ridiculous colored shirts everyday, I want to see him in a bright orange Hawaiian shirt for some reason lol!

I'm still working on the rubberslug stuff, but feel free to view what I have, I think it's on the little link side right?
Oh I love Black Butler...is that odd for a guy? I think it's funny, I like Sebs style. 8)
I also like fairy tail and Loke has awesome glasses. Fruits basket is big in my house hold so it's all over the place.
I like many types of characters and if I can buy an odd shot those are the most fun to get. I collect signed posters as well, that will come after all the cels are put up.

Um, I think that's it, if your interested in anything, go ahead and ask and hope to make some friends here :D

thanks!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Image ImageImage Image ImageImage Image Image Image

Welcome to Beta! I already see some CCS (a nice Spinel true form), an MKR OVA (a terrific series to watch with some serious brand of craft beer in your hand) and some frightfully scarce Tsubasa Chronicle sketches. You're well begun and ready for madness to descend.