Hi?

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
Tsunami3k
Anime Geek

Hi?

Post by Tsunami3k »

It seems disingenuous to harbor an unshakable resistance to posting an "about me" thread when I also run a phpBB board with a comparable introduction topic that I always look forward to seeing traffic on. But I've flirted with derailing enough threads at this point that it seems like I should quarantine [some of] my indulgences to a dedicated thread.

Anyhow, as stated on another thread, I'm somewhat of an anime omnivore. I've collected DVDs (and now BDs) for ages now so I've got a decent anime collection at this point. Since my first anime purchase was the Cowboy Bebop perfect collection box (which included the first OST), I can also say that I've collected OSTs for just as long. Likewise it's a pretty solid collection but has grown at a much slower pace given the cost of import CDs. I've also got a fair amount of art books and dojin. Oh, and figures...lots of figures.

The weakest part of my lineup is that which is most relevant here: cels and production sketches. I have a couple of Azumanga Daioh sketches and a few Genshiken sketches. Cel-wise I have a nice Jubei-Chan cel of a nice closeup of her with her eyepatch containing a small image of what I'm tempted to say is the creator. Another is a cute Galaxy Angel cel of Milfeulle dressed up as a flower. I've also go an El Hazard cel of Miz Mishtal. It's a multi-layered OP cel but she's pretty tiny. And, finally, I have a couple of AMG:Movie cels: one of Peorth sitting at an unseen console and, the prize of my modest collection, a tight closeup of Morrigan in fairy form blushing with a slight smile and looking towards the "camera" over her shoulder.

Perhaps I should post some images once I come up with a good way to caputre them (I don't have a scanner) but making a solid wishlist seems more conducive to building a photo-worthy collection.

Anyway, cheers everyone! My limited expsoure has thus far given me the impression that this is a very friendly and inviting place and it's been neat to see a couple of familiar names here as well.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Hi?

Post by Keropi »

Welcome to Anime Beta! It's good to see new members here. :jump
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

I was real happy to see a new face posting here lately, it has been rather quiet
this summer, we can always use new voices and comments!!
consider this your official Welcome to AB!
:cheers :cheers :cheers

yes and while i do have the cabinet with figures and the bookcase
full of dvds, random artbooks, and some manga,
cels are my weakness X|
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Welcome! Don't be shy about posting here on A-B. :cheers
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

You got the traditional 12-banana welcome in my update thread so you just get one more here.

Looking forward to getting a glimpse of your beauties.
Tsunami3k
Anime Geek

Post by Tsunami3k »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I don't have a scanner but I did manage to dig up a photo I took the day I bought the cels. Here is 80% of my cel collection:

It just now occurred to me that 40% of my collection is AMG yet I don't have a single one of the goddesses. I think a top-notch Urd cel should be my next #1 priority.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Tsunami3k wrote:It just now occurred to me that 40% of my collection is AMG yet I don't have a single one of the goddesses.
Peorth is a goddess, and an extraordinarily collectable one! I've thought from time to time about adding one to my goddesses but never yet bitten on one. But, yes, Urd was my first goddess. My daughter remembers that the first time I heard "Megamisama to oyobi" (Urd's image song sung by Touma Yumi) I spent the whole next week looking for an office to sign up to be an Urd-worshiper.

Thanks for the peek. The Morrigan/Morgan le Fey is especially lovely in its gentle, unstable expression.
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Welcome to Beta! Your cels are quite lovely, and I hope you're able to get images of the rest of your collection. I would love to see them. I hope you have fun on the board, and good luck in all your future cel and sketch hunting endeavors. :)
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

Welcome to AB!

don't be shy and show us some pics of your DVD collection too :wink:
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

love the morgan cel, very pretty :) what are your other favor series besides ah my goddess?
Tsunami3k
Anime Geek

Post by Tsunami3k »

Wow, a new crush of welcomes. Thank you all!
sensei wrote:Peorth is a goddess, and an extraordinarily collectable one! I've thought from time to time about adding one to my goddesses but never yet bitten on one. But, yes, Urd was my first goddess. My daughter remembers that the first time I heard "Megamisama to oyobi" (Urd's image song sung by Touma Yumi) I spent the whole next week looking for an office to sign up to be an Urd-worshiper.
Yeah, I'll have to make it a point to hit Curt up for a look at his Urd cels next time I get a trip together. I'm so smitten by my one relatively upper-tier Morrigan cel that I'm really wanting to go all out on a special one of Urd so hopefully he's got a gem or two on hand. And, of course, a beautiful Belldandy cel would be fantastic as well.
sensei wrote:Thanks for the peek. The Morrigan/Morgan le Fey is especially lovely in its gentle, unstable expression.
Ephemeral indeed! I've seen several cels from the neighboring frames and not one captures that perfect, fleeting glimpse of her tenuous expression. This to me is the perfect example of the medium's beauty and power.
tex-chan wrote:Welcome to Beta! Your cels are quite lovely, and I hope you're able to get images of the rest of your collection. I would love to see them. I hope you have fun on the board, and good luck in all your future cel and sketch hunting endeavors. :)
Haha, well here's a quick photo I took tonight of the remaining 20% of my collection:
Tsunami3k wrote:Image
I need to take some more serious photos to put up on RS.
Joost wrote:Welcome to AB!

don't be shy and show us some pics of your DVD collection too :wink:

This is actually a really old picture, approaching 3 years ago now. Subsequent pictures (not posted) show the steady devolution into a wall of figure boxes obscuring the shelves and floor. A reboot last fall cleared the room substantially but has re-grown to a similarly. Had I thought things through beforehand, I should have gotten into cels far earlier as they're far easier to store than this stuff! ;D
theultimatebrucelee wrote:love the morgan cel, very pretty :) what are your other favor series besides ah my goddess?
Hmmm, well there are lots of shows that I like well enough to get production art for but many are post-cel era properties sadly.

[Cel Era]
A/OMG, Galaxy Angel, Cowboy Bebop, City Hunter, Video Girl Ai, Kare Kano, Nadesico, Macross Plus, Magnetic Rose, Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Perfect Blue, Kiki's Delivery Service...
[Post-Cel Era]
Haibane Renmei, Simoun, Last-Exile, Twelve Kingdoms, Princess Tutu, Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, FLCL, Gunbuster 2, Black Heaven(Cels?), Gunslinger Girl, Spice and Wolf, Millennium Actress, Kamichu!...

This rapid brain-dump is hardly a comprehensive list but, now that I can see many of my picks altogether, I'm actually a bit surprised at how widely they vary. Hardly all are masterpieces but at the very least I do have fond memories from them all and/or there is some aspect of the art and/or character designs that just work for me. Even if I don't want to collect multiple cels from a given series, there are heaps of shows that I'd love to find a so-called "perfect" representation of the show. For example, Burn-Up isn't a high-class show by any measure but if I found a cel of Rio with the AI tank that fell in love with her, I'd be all over it. The same thing would go for a GTO cel with Onizuka making one of his characteriscally freakish faces or a Slayer cel that makes me chuckle to look at (and many do so I'm destined to have several I'm sure of it).

Now to track down some cels!!
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Hi?

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

I already spoke to you on another topic but welcome! Hope you enjoy the forums! It's been a lot more active this week :D

Also, I believe millennium actress was cel animated so you can hunt those down now too ;)
Tsunami3k
Anime Geek

Post by Tsunami3k »

KuroiTsubasa4 wrote:Also, I believe millennium actress was cel animated so you can hunt those down now too ;)
Ooh, thank you for that tidbit. That's my favorite Satoshi Kon movie so that's very welcome news!
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Welcome to anime beta. I love the Jubei-chan cel. The expression on her face is great.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Haibane Renmei, Simoun, Last-Exile, Twelve Kingdoms, Princess Tutu, Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, FLCL, Gunbuster 2, Black Heaven(Cels?), Gunslinger Girl, Spice and Wolf, Millennium Actress, Kamichu!...
I don't know all of these, but Twelve Kingdoms and Spice and Wolf are pretty available, though the market is competitive. Wolf's Rain seems tougher to score and even more competitive.

Princess Tutu is nearly but not quite impossible to get. Some years ago batches of backgrounds were coming on the market pretty often but the shark fights over these were astonishing. I got away with two batches of these but counted my fingers and toes for days afterwards. (I still come up with different counts depending on the weather.) Since then bits and pieces of art dribble onto the market at unexpected times, mostly from the battle scenes in the last episode.

I've never seen anything original from Haibane Renmei, other than photocopied settei sheets. I've been told that the art was deliberately destroyed by the studio. There was a limited series of rilezu cels, but all based on one of four sources: the OP, Eyecatch, and ED animation plus a trailer used to promote the series. These were alleged to come with the original dougas but the one I have did not have a douga but came with a clean-up drawing by the rilezu artist.

Good luck, though. It's encouraging that your list is broad and eclectic, rather than a narrow enthusiasm for a few series.