Hurricane Sandy

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Hurricane Sandy

Post by JWR »

To those friends and community members in the Northeast area that are in the path of this big storm,

STAY SAFE!!!! :ghug:
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by 90sKid »

Many thanks for your well wishes JWR! I too wish those in the path luck. Right now in upstate NY it's just very windy and the sky is a big sheet of gray. It rained earlier but has seemed to calm down on that front.

I have to say, it's kind of an eerie feeling outside knowing something that big is coming. I really hope this storm doesn't hurt as many people as they predict. :( I'm worried for those on the coast.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Thanks so much for the well wishes JWR!
so far its not been too bad here [eastern PA], some bands of heavy rain, not much now,
but the wind is relentless, hoping power doesnt go out, not sure how many hours of
this pounding wind we can stand though, the walls are vibrating and the windows sound very strained at times,
the trees are really creaking....
and we've got quite a few hours to go yet,
but many thanks again for the thoughts, you guys are great :ghug:
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

All is well here in Cephiro, on the coast south of where the center just passed onshore. Winds are still very fresh (the airport recorded a 55 mph gust) but have shifted now from NW to SW, indicating that the storm has gone past. I've heard stories of major flooding and damage nearby (the local fishing pier, for instance, is no more) but thankfully none visible outside or inside my home. The mother of all leaf rakes, however, awaits me tomorrow. :hurt:

But my thoughts go with other Betarians who will be affected by this messy, huge storm in the next hours.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I spoke to Rosemary on the phone tonight, and they were without power and
running on generators. She is located on Long Island, and sounds like they are
getting hit pretty hard. I hope all is well with her and Jenn too. She is in PA
as well, so it was nice to hear that PA wasn't getting hit too hard yet. ^_^
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Seconding JWR sentiments, stay safe & please do not attempt anything stupid!

The local News & Financial channels has been running coverage on the storm, now dubbed "Frankenstorm" for the majority of the afternoon here, once 'Sandy' made landfall. The pictures & reports look absolutely Brutal!!
News has been filtering through about how badly buildings have been hit & the damage caused by the winds, flooding.

I have few mates & associates who work for the Investment Banks; due to the hours they have to work, most were unable to get back home before authorities closed the roads & the public transport system stopped and are now staying in the local hotels (courtesy of their employers). But since the US markets are closed & not having access to their own trading terminals, there is little work that can actually be done, so that leaves room for only worrying...supporting each other as some have not been able to reach their family & loved ones because of power outages.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

We are fine here! We lucky though, because some places around us here in PA were hit and people were and are without power. Not even 10 minutes away from my house was power out and they are flooded and damages. For some reason in PA it got to some places, but not others, even though the storm was going that way. I guess living in a valley kinda helped us here. I know that Harrisburg had no power yesterday and today, not sure if it was all Harrisburg or certain places, but I had customers call me all morning at work asking if places were open in my town where I live, which is about 20 minutes via Highway from Harrisburg.
All this rain I hope is going to stop, but I know it gotten really cold overnight and I even seen some snowflakes.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

The downtown of my city flooded, but I was very lucky and not personally effected. It looks like my sister will be dealing with the headache of NYC's MTA mess for a long time though unfortunately. The devastation of this storm was really astounding, I've been very sad watching the news coverage.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

just got power back today, its been off for about three days, lots of wind damage all around me [eastern PA], my work place will be closed til at least Monday due to power outages, most of the damage around here was all from horrific very incredible downright scary powerful winds, it just kept on blowing hour after hour, really un-nerving to say the least, my house has some pretty severe roof damage [ie:needs a completely new roof] and our water pump seems blown [ie:no water] but seeing what some nearby friends/neighbors are dealing with, I was quite lucky, but 3 days w/o power really sucks!
My most sincere well wishes to all others dealing with this mess.
Please Be Safe.
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Teggacat- Seems like we had the same experience. :P Here it was dark and the wind was howling non stop too. The trees were creaking and moaning like it was something straight out of a Dr. Seuss Halloween special. I was half expecting the Grinch to show up at my door. :P I just got the power back yesterday and the internet today but the cable is still down. Luckily the only damage we had to deal with was a bunch of trees down on our property and the outage. Fortunately for us nothing hit the house, which could have easily happened since we live in the woods.

My condolences for those who have to deal with this as well, especially those families who lost someone. :(