Richard J. Self (1955-Feb. 17, 2016)

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Richard J. Self (1955-Feb. 17, 2016)

Post by sensei »

I regret to announce to the Beta community the passing of Richard J. Self, the news of which has only now been forwarded to me by a fellow collector/dealer. He died in San Diego in February, and a condolences page has been posted online here. I do not know the circumstances of his death, but I understand that had been experiencing health problems for some time.

Most of us knew him as the proprietor of the online sales site Anime Gambit. He also used to make regular trips to Japan, carrying wishlists that collectors had forwarded to him, and so he negotiated the private sale of a number of high-end items. And he was also willing to keep an eye out for lesser items and set them aside for regular customers. A large part of my Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 1 collection, including many cels of Sakura capturing The Fly Card, came to me this way.

I did not know him in any other capacity, but I see from the condolences page that he was a former member of the US Navy, in which capacity he supported amphibious operations of the Marines.

Memories of Richard can be added to this thread or, if you wish, posted on the condolences page for the family to view.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Richard J. Self (1955-Feb. 17, 2016)

Post by Keropi »

I'm sad to hear about this. :|

I had bought Maison Ikkoku and Tenkousei cels from him 14-16 years ago. He was still posting on Animanaga's Cel Forum too even after all this time. I appreciate being able to acquire those cels from him.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Starfighter »

This is a shock to me. A few months wanted to order something from him but the e-mail never arrived. Richard was an awesome person, never wanting to rip anyone off . The last cel I bought from him was a sailor moon cel. This cel was worth more then he wanted for it. I told him before I bought it , Would have paid more for it. I had a lot of respect for him. I feel bad that such a person is no longer here with us. Richard rest in peace . I will treasure the cels I have bought from him and his friendship. Gone but never forgotten
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

I am deeply saddened by this news. I first "met" Richard in the mid nineties. I was brand new to cel collecting and had lots of questions. Questions such as "Tell me why I have to pay extra for this Pay Pal thing" or "Why don't you put the miscellaneous cels in their respected categories?" He was always very kind and responded to everyone one of my emails. Often times when I couldn't afford any cels, I would scan Gambit checking all images in all the sections. I often wrote him with a list of any links that were broken or misdirected. He always said Thank you and fixed the link. Never once did he say, "Thanks but why don't you buy something" lol But when I had money I surely did. Some have come and gone but I still have a couple of my first cels that I purchased from Anime-Gambit.. Thank you Richard. I will always remember your patience and your kindness.. Rest In Peace buddy...

- Matt
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Oh, this is a sad day for the cel community. His online store was known to many in the community as an excellent location to pick up great cels at equally great prices.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

Sad news indeed. :(

I've met Richard several times at cons, he let me peruse through his cel bins behind the tables, just picking out whatever I want (since it's impossible to actually put everything in books). Not all cel dealers are willing to do that for their customers. And during the height of cel collecting, when I seems like every other cel store are jacking up their prices, Richard's shop remained the same. The best cel I got from his shop was this Kouryuu cel from Wish:

http://ix.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_in ... mID=355259

It remains one of my all time favorite cels.

RIP Richard, thanks for the memories.
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
floralys77
Anime Geek

Post by floralys77 »

wow very sad news, i was wondering why he didn't replied my mails anymore... RIP
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

I only just saw this now, what a shock!

He was the one that got me into cel collecting in the first place, and helped me overcome that first step (the fear of not being a good caregiver). He was so kind and actually asked me for a wishlist when we first met! I'll never forget his kindness, and I hope his loved ones are doing alright.

Thank you for being such a kind and thoughtful person, Richard, and for introducing me to such an amazing hobby.