Hello~

Are you new to the forum?
Introductions, goodbyes, vacations, reunions...people stuff.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Hello~

Post by Fiore »

Whoa it’s been so looong since I used a forum! XD

Just wanted to say hi! I am new to this hobby.
I always knew about cels because I would see them on eBay long time ago, but never knew that much about them. Thus forgot about them all this time until recently.

I’ve been a huge fan of anime since I was a toddler. After rewatching some of my favorite older anime series from the 80s-90s, I recently fell in love again with the golden age of anime. Really miss the look and style of older anime. It would be neat to see Cel animation come back, but I understand why it won’t.

While looking around on eBay I came across a nice looking Cel from a series I know called Gal Force. The scene would look so nice framed and I became curious, so I brought it. Received it last week and thus the collecting begins. (I was looking to frame it, but now I don’t know. Since I’m trying to educate myself more on cels, I read about the vinegar syndrome and stuff. This forum so far has been a big help in educating new collector like me.) I recently ended up buying two more cels.;; one from the series Hajime no Ippo, and one from Giant Gorg.

It’s so neat to be holding in my hands something created from that time. Back then I didn’t know much about animation and the hard work put into it. I’m glad I can appreciate it now. It’s really cool to be holding a piece that’s from a favorite show, of a favorite character, or a drawing from an admired artist.

I look forward to trying to collect from my favorite series if I can afford them. I’m a big fan of Yas, and love his works, Arion, Venus wars, Giant Gorg and Crusher Joe. Would love to get my hands on a Robot carnivals Deprive hero and a Escaflowne movie Van too (love Nobuteru). ;-;

Currently I have become very interested in making my own fancels and trying to research about the tools needed. Anyone know any awesome Cel artists sites, feel free to hit me up!

(Epp, this was too long sorry!XD)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Hello~

Post by JWR »

Welcome and congrats on getting your 1st cels.

It has always been special to be able to hold a cel/sketch from a series you remember enjoying.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Welcome! :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

@JWR @Jiangdc: Thanks for the Welcome! :D
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Hi!! Welcome!!
jeez, I remember my very 1st cel years ago, out of curiosity I bought Lalaru from Now&Then Here&There, when I actually got it in my hands it was instant fascination. It was the coolest thing ever! Enjoy! And yes, there are still some of us old school cel collectors out there! Again, Welcome!
:cheers :cheers :cheers
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

@Teggacat: Thanks!<3 the feeling never gets old either XD I still get so excited and jumpy when ever I get one in my hands.Ah!;
Btw I love your Arslan cels! So cute! I love that series.

@JWR: Wanted to say I was so shocked to see your collection of Bernie Wrightson! That’s so amazing! His ink works has been inspiration to me when I discovered him years back. His Frankenstein works will always be my favorite.<3

@Jiangdc: love your collection of signed manga and cels! Lots of nice scenes! (*o*)/
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

A newbie! A newbie!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Welcome to the hobby and welcome to Anime-Beta. Please feel free to ask questions: the older hands will be happy to get you started, and it will encourage some of us who have been dormant to get back into posting links to relevant old posts. The place is full of collectors' experience and hints, which can seem a little overwhelming at times. But it's been put together, one post at a time, for nearly 20 years, so there's a lot to explore.

For the moment, the advice is simple: air out old cels, store them out of the light, and in a way that allows fumes to vent freely (I slit my cel bags down two sides --not with the cel inside!). Consider getting a starter pack of Microchamber paper to help with the fumes. And (though this isn't necessary to say for a newbie) inspect your cels often. They reward being treated like the treasures they are. (Probably far more have simply been incinerated or buried in a landfill than you'll ever see in collections.)

And happy hunting!
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Hello and welcome.

I'm mostly an old skool, 80s-90s, collector myself. I started my collection with cels from The Guyver OVA. Also, I just watched Giant Gorg a couple months ago... right before I added a few cels from it to my Rubberslug gallery.

In addition to eBay, you should also get a deputy service and check out Yahoo Japan Auctions, keep an eye on Mandarake's daily and big web auctions, and you could take a look at Madoka Japan.

Good hunting.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

@Sensei :Thanks for the welcome and tips! Will try to get some Microchamber paper soon! :) Love your gallery! I’m surprised to see Yousei Florence, and The Sea Prince and Fire Child cels! Love those movies! :love:

@GuyvarIII :Thanks for welcome and site recommendations! Never heard of Madoka Japan. Giant Gorg was such a nice anime. It would be nice if it came on blue-ray someday.(Yasuhiko’ s works are always a great watch. Very happy he decided to release Venus Wars on Blue-Ray recently.)
Big fan of your gallery! You have a lot of the best series and great collection! :love: !
sensei

Post by sensei »

Fiore wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:16 pm @Sensei :Thanks for the welcome and tips! Will try to get some Microchamber paper soon! :) Love your gallery! I’m surprised to see Yousei Florence, and The Sea Prince and Fire Child cels! Love those movies! :love:
Thank you for visiting these -- though I noticed today when I checked my list of "most popular" items that one of my Sea Prince cels has all of a sudden rocketed into the #5 most-visited slot (behind three CCS cels and a sketch of a minor Inuyasha oni-character that has somehow won the love of some demon-worshiping cult out in cyberland). It is a beautifully conceived film, and the cels (with their airbrushing on the front) are stunners.

My best Yousei Florence cel actually came as part of a Sea Prince grab-bag lot, and for a while I didn't actually know who or what it was. Not such a dim error, though, as the character designer worked on Sea Prince just before. Cels from this project are evidently very, very scarce, and I was fortunate to have this one come to me in a clandestine way.

Feel free to ask questions. Betarians used to love to talk, and I bet there are still quite a few conversationalists still lurking.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

@sensei: Lol @ the demon worshiping cult in cyberland.

That is really neat, and lucky you got that in a grab lot! 8O <3

You've been so nice! Thanks! See you around the Forums~
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I just wanted to congratulate you on adding your items to your RS gallery. Those Crusher Joe drawings are awesome! Alfin falling back while reaching forward towards Joe is particularly pretty.

Also, thank you for the link to my gallery on your links page.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

GuyvarIII wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 am I just wanted to congratulate you on adding your items to your RS gallery. Those Crusher Joe drawings are awesome! Alfin falling back while reaching forward towards Joe is particularly pretty.

Also, thank you for the link to my gallery on your links page.
Thank you!<3 ;v;)/
When I get a chance i'll try to put up all the sequences since I could only add two to main post.

Your gallery rocks! 8)