Would anyone have a problem with a Flash Cel Gallery?

Show off your stuff!

Would you have a problem with a Flash cel gallery?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 27

Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Would anyone have a problem with a Flash Cel Gallery?

Post by Golden Boy »

I'm 90% done with my new gallery re-design which does include Flash. It's been brought to my attention, that everyone hates Flash and it's never installed.

All my previous galleries have been HTML only because I wanted all viewers to see all the cels without hindering their viewing experience regardless of connection speed. But since 99% of the computers out there are faster than mine with faster Internet, I thought I would spruce the old gallery up with some action.

Anyway, I would appreciate a vote and a reason.

Thanks in advance,

GB :)
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

I think that sounds like fun, GB! My computer has whatever newest Flash player is out, only because the boys use it a lot on Nick.com or CN.com or some other site like that. So no problems here! :)
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

...wait for it....

...wait...

Okay, now!

"You have Flash cels?" :flasher: "Can I see?" "Any cute guys?"

:run
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

I love flash. all the funnest goofy japanese toons on the net are flash.
And Strongbad... TROGDOOOOR!
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Maybe provide the option of both? So visitors can choose whether or not
they want to see the flash. It's more work but it shows you care. :wink: :P :x
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Maybe provide the option of both? So visitors can choose whether or not
they want to see the flash. It's more work but it shows you care. :wink: :P :x
I completely agree here. There are still tons of folks without high-speed Internet and/or slow computers who might want to view your site. If you're going to use something as intensive as Flash, I'd say you should make an HTML version too. Just my 0.02.

That being said, I've been playing with Flash myself lately, and I must say it is rather fun. :D
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

At present, viewing Flash sites isn't a problem but a while ago I couldn't view the plugins at all.
Despite DLing the latest Flash player and Shockwave from Macromedia, I was unable to view Flash sites properly and thoese little online games wouldn't work for me.

After reformatting my computer and starting again it then worked.

For most people, I don't think the problem would be internet speed- just how Flashy would a cel site be? The problems might simply be accessibility ones.

I like Flash sites, as long as everything works and there aren't tedious sound effects. Functionality is most important so I understand why you went with HTML for a long time, GB.

Note for Mozilla users: don't automatically DL plugins when the browser says you need them, especially if this browser isn't set to be your default one. It's easier to visit the official sites, DL and install them yourself.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Krafty wrote:Note for Mozilla users: don't automatically DL plugins when the browser says you need them, especially if this browser isn't set to be your default one. It's easier to visit the official sites, DL and install them yourself.
Never had an issue with that myself, Krafty, but I know someone else with a strange shockwave/flash issue with Mozilla. Interesting, indeed.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

*cough* Whoops. I voted for the wrong one. I have no problem with Flash, so move one of those votes over. :emb

As long as you have it so far done, just finish it and let us take a look. :) Then we can let you know if there are any problems.
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

I guess I am minor here, heehee :P

I have always problems with flash plugin etc etc so I prefer not to have flash :(
Cats rule!
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

I generally prefer them without Flash, mostly because I've seen too many sites that overdo it or do it poorly.

My firm conviction, though, is that it is your site and your cels, and you should be able to present them in a way that you like! :) While it shows a great deal of respect to the community for you to even ask the question, in the end you should do what makes you feel good about your stuff.

So I voted "no problem here." Flash works fine for me, but I do like the option to skip intros and so forth if possible.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

Flash is just another tool, use whatever works best for you. In some projects I've been forced to use flash. I try then to use it only as necessary. I try to keep as much content as possible out of it, rather choosing to use it in a modular sense.
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

I'm for it. I think it's cool that you can do one (yes, I'm one of those losers that have no computer skills, except surfing the web & emailing :emb )

I'm not a bad girl......

I'm just a good girl being bad for you
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

Ashura wrote:(yes, I'm one of those losers that have no computer skills, except surfing the web & emailing :emb )
:D Put me in that category too!!! :D