For the first time since the year 2000, I am organized

Show off your stuff!
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

For the first time since the year 2000, I am organized

Post by jcaliff »

I spent my entire day today reorganizing my collection. For the first time ever, I consolidated all my cels: those bought before I went to Japan, those I bought in Japan, and those bought since returning to the US. It took HOURS. However, I'm proud to say that it's done. Now hopefully it'll be easier to figure out what hasn't been scanned so I can eventually update my gallery.

Here's the result of my efforts:

http://www.jcaliff.net/cels/IMAG0276.jpg

The scary part is that I have five FULL Itoya portfolios of Ryu Knight. Three each of LoGH and Nintama cels (plus one small binder each of genga). Also two full books of Dragon Ball. I need one more portfolio for The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. I have one full one that you can see, and then the rest of the regular size Teddy Ruxpin cels are in the smaller of the two oversize binders behind the boxes. I have one Nintama cel that is so long it doesn't even fit properly in the biggest Itoya I have. I just let it curl over the edge since there's no paint on that part of the plastic. It was sold to me rolled up like a scroll.

Even the unlabeled portfolios are organized. The unlabeled one between boxes is all singletons, unknown series, and backgrounds. The unlabeled rightmost four are shounen miscellany, and the two just left of them (clear and yellow) are miscellaneous shoujo and kids shows. The one with the label you can't see easily between Hunter x Hunter and Romeo's Blue Skies is CLAMP stuff. If you look at the bottom shelf of the bookshelf to the left, you can see some of the many (now empty) smaller plastic files I consolidated from.

I think I'm getting too old to marathon organization like this. My back is killing me. I need to go lie down now. :D
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: For the first time since the year 2000, I am organized

Post by sensei »

Congratulations! By happy accident I have a bunch of my Tenshi ni Narumon cels sitting out on a surface, because I'm just starting to reorganize this part of my collection. I know it takes hours, and while I feel confident that most of my sketches are now well organized (by series, episode, and cut), I still go through a panic when I need to put my hands on a particular cel. If I'd just left them in the order I'd gotten them, I'd have a chance, and if I had a consistent pattern of organizing them, I'd be in better shape. But, alas, they are just where I had an empty sleeve at the time they arrived... Maybe by New Year's ...

I miss your cute Teddy Ruxpin avatar...
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

sensei wrote:I miss your cute Teddy Ruxpin avatar...
I just felt like a change. Manmaru is cute too. :) I just put my old icon in my sig.
Image Image
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

oh man now that's impressive!!
nice work :cheers
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Way to go that looks great :D I’ve got to do that with my books! I think it’s about time for me to do some re-organizing soon.

Btw do you plan to clean out those books, I can think of a cel I could take off your hands for you :P
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

You inspire me! :D I've been working on a re-organization just like that for the past... uhh.. year X|. I got about halfway through our collection and quit because I ran out of Itoyas. I've been meaning to order more, but I just haven't gotten that far.

So... congrats on the huge accomplishment!! Maybe I'll go order those books now ... :^^:
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

D123 wrote: Btw do you plan to clean out those books, I can think of a cel I could take off your hands for you :P

Hmmmm. . . No. :D :P
Image Image
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. :D

And zerospace - I've been playing with your gallery software. It's pretty fun! I think I'll be migrating my stuff eventually. I've got the bare-bones layout started at http://www.jcaliff.net/celgallery/index.php. I still have a lot of editing to do though. I think what I'll end up doing once I get everything uploaded to the new software is put a redirect on the old http://www.jcaliff.net/cels directory so I don't have to update links.

I'm also thinking that I might create a couple of secondary databases for LoGH, Nintama, and Teddy Ruxpin and just link to those from the main page. That way I can have a different style sheet for those three subdivisions. Unless there's a way to edit that for individual catagory pages?
Image Image
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

jcaliff wrote:
D123 wrote: Btw do you plan to clean out those books, I can think of a cel I could take off your hands for you :P

Hmmmm. . . No. :D :P
:P