Sensei's May Madness 4: Focus on Tennimon, KKJ, and Palme

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Thanks, syan. Whatever you think about the show (it's undeniably slight compared to just about any recent series except for maybe "Bottle Fairies"), the animators obviously had all kinds of fun drawing it, and that exuberence shows up in just about every scrap of paper I get from the series.

I forgot to mention above that, while the cel itself is not new (it's currently #6 on my list of most visited items), you can now see a very happy Clow Card with a brand new watercolor BG (from Bleach no less!)
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

I saw your lateste update on the RS front page. Fabulous, as always. I particularly liked the cel of Umi crying. Very emotional and powerful. Congrats on your new additions.
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

keeper
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by keeper »

Wow, what an awesome collection!! I rank MKR with the likes of Sailor Moon - not really my cup of tea as far as story and style, but the girls are so gorgeous that they make for some lovely cel artwork! And I have to agree with tex-chan; the crying Umi cel is especially lovely!

Ahh~!! Mojo Jojo! (LOL) It's been quite some years since I sat down to watch Power Puff Girls (are they even still on TV?) but dangit, did I love that evil little Monkey Man!! He was hysterical :rollin
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Oh, wow. That cel of Nova is absolutely stunning! I love the fear in her eyes, and the overall feel of the cel. Just gorgeous.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Sensei, you have such an impressive collection of cels. It seems every series you collect, you go all out. Certainly the serious collector, with awesome results. I love your descriptions and the time you take with your update threads is obvious and much appreciated. The PPG and CCS items are amazing. Keep up the good work! :wink:
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks all who are sticking with this very gradual update. You should see the stack of work that I graded during the last three weeks: papers, reaction journals, revisions, exams ... I'm still exhausted.

Thanks for your comments, Tex-chan, both here and on my RS blog (which likewise has been slow in recovering from exams). You and keeper are right on about the Umi, which is a lovely, emotional image. And thanks, klet, for calling attention to Nova, which is another image that captures the feel of that climactic scene. Yes, keeper, the plot of MKR doesn't resonate with me the same way either like other series, but I have to admit that the art is, on its own terms, some of the finest that I've seen come out of 90s anime. Watch for a couple more Rayearths that are moving through the pipeline.

Welcome Consumer, thanks especially for the comments on my approach. Sometimes I think it's obsessive (usually my wife knows it's obsessive). But I find collecting a learning process, and my teacher side can't help wanting to pass on what I've found out to others.

A quick note (though RS watchers will know this): I've gotten up the new gallery devoted to the Mushishi Art Boards that I got last week, and also super-sized the PPGZ “Targeted Fashion Show” gallery. With well over a hundred rough gengas and outlines, plus original settei sheets, I now come close to owning this little episode. Yes, it's hardly great anime art, even for a kiddy show, but the animators clearly had a ball doing it, and it's interesting to see such a concentrated bunch of art for the same relatively short adventure.

For dirty old men (and women), there’s also a naked Noelle from Episode 1 (ecchi rather than hentai -- still, think before you click).

Thanks again for stopping by.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Wow - not having a working computer has really put me behind! I *love* the new Umi cel. Such a wonderful image.

The new Mushishi art boards are really interesting. I only lasted about 10 episodes into that series, but the artwork is quite beautiful.
sensei

Post by sensei »

New Mad May additions:

1. A very sweet Tennimon cel of Yuusuke finally giving Noelle a kiss at the end of the series.

2. Some lovely and dramatic KKJ sketches of Kaitou Jeanne at a moment of hard-won victory over a demon and her detective adversary Miyako.

3. Two very impressive oversized Tree of Palme cels: a touching image of Popo and an intimidating Koram.

There’s more on my scanning desk, including more PPGZ and KKJ, plus a whole stack of Slayers gengas (including a nice Gourry and a fierce Zelgadis, both pans). But as I now have to prepare for a conference, the rest of my “May Madness” will need to wait until after Memorial Day. Meantime, get on some comfortable walking shoes and start beating those new galleries.