Controversial items for an update; add or no?

Show off your stuff!

Would you add a potentially controversial item to your gallery?

yes
70%
no
5%
maybe...depends
25%

Total votes: 20

Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

Controversial items for an update; add or no?

Post by Dustie »

Ok, I was prepping some items for a site update and one particular item got me thinking. It really has the potential to cause me some major grief.. meaning it might be misunderstood and offend people. (and possibly get me banned if enough complaints were to arise) So my question is.. would you put it up anyway or keep it off? Sorry for being vague.. but I would like people's input on this. :emb

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Is it really that important to you that everyone see this controversial cel? Did you buy it for your own enjoyment or the enjoyment of others? If I was worried about others being offended by one of mine, I wouldn't post it but I'd just hang it somewhere where I could enjoy it.

I know some people really enjoy controversy, so unless you're one of those people who just enjoys causing a ruckus, I think you should just keep it to yourself, Dustie. :) (Just my nickel's worth!)
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

I can't imagine what sort of grief an item could cause you.

If it's controversial because of the show, like a really disgusting rape scene from a hentai show or something, I'd just name the category something with a big warning like 'Hentai Cels Warning: Nudity, Violence.' That leaves it up to the gallery visitor if they want to see it or not, and the easily offended could just avoid it.

If it's controversial because of how you acquired it, that's a bit different. I never heard of a controversial cel in this sense until this week, so I can only imagine what that could mean, but I don't see how it could get you banned from anywhere. I mean unless this is a cel that was stolen from someone's house or something, it's nobody's business what methods you use to buy your cels.

That's my opinion anyway. Oh, and I voted yes, if no other reason than that you have really sparked my curiosity and I am now dying to see said cel!
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

The only other thing I could think of as controversial would be in certain older series there are un-PC depictions of ethnic characters. But I think most people are mature enough (I hope) to understand times have changed.

I voted "go for it!"
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

well..

Post by Dustie »

Thank you for your opinions, thus far. :)

As a general rule, no I don't like to push the envelope. I bought them for me. However, I do like to promote a series I think is worth seeing and enjoy. (don't we all?!) That might not get seen by others as much as say something that's been shown on the Cartoon Network.

Let me explain a little more. The item in question is part of a set. (settei, data) There are some other pieces with nudity which I am putting little censor symbols on. That isn't a problem. The particular piece has a character that wears an eyepatch with a sauvastika on it. For those who don't know what that is, it basically looks like a swastika symbol; only the legs go counter clockwise. X| I could see a lot of potential problems with putting it up. I dont mind explaining the difference to people.. but some people once they see might not go to me, they might complain elsewhere. Being the stubborn person I can be, I wouldn't be so willing to take it off. Just for the principle of it. Thus the potential for getting banned. :evil:

Now you can see the dilema, that I was talking about. Please continue to voice your opinions. I have enjoyed the different points of view.
Remi

Post by Remi »

Ah, I know this series, and I wouldn't sweat it! I've seen lots of stuff from this show displayed and I've never heard of anyone getting a complaint, even from stuff with the symbol on it.
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

really?

Post by Dustie »

Really? Hmm.. I haven't seen much art for this series put up. Are we talking about the same one?! :o :wink: We probably are though.
Kujaku

Post by Kujaku »

At least tell us what anime it is from?

To answer your question, since you have a rubberslug account, just mention the meaning of the sauvastika (counterclockwise swastika) which in Japanese Buddhism symbolizes night and is associated with magical properties. That this symbol is 1000's of years old and around 1910 was later perverted by Hitler.

People who know this symbol will not say anything. Ignorant people will. If people give you crap, then tell them to PM or email me. I really do not like ignorant people who spout a lot of garbage when it comes to this subject.

Kujaku
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

For heaven's sake, Dustie, now that you've explained a little better, I dont get the same feeling at all. If it is a symbol "that isn't a swastika but might be confused for a swastika", I don't think you should worry about posting it. I uderstand that some people have good reason for hating a swastika, but that isn't even what yours is. So I think you may get some questions about it, but if you don't mind answering the same question over and over about what the symbol really is, I don't see why you shouldn't show it.

My husband is a WWII collector, and I tried to sell one of his SS daggers on ebay last year. I very carefully edited out all the swastika images on the dagger, but I had the word swastika (or Nazi, can't remember which now) in my description and my auction was pulled within 10 minutes. So even though it is a historical fact discussed in a very non-glorifying way, it is still too touchy of a subject to be mentioned/viewed by some.
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Dustie »

At least tell us what anime it is from?

To answer your question, since you have a rubberslug account, just mention the meaning of the sauvastika (counterclockwise swastika) which in Japanese Buddhism symbolizes night and is associated with magical properties. That this symbol is 1000's of years old and around 1910 was later perverted by Hitler.

People who know this symbol will not say anything. Ignorant people will. If people give you crap, then tell them to PM or email me. I really do not like ignorant people who spout a lot of garbage when it comes to this subject.

Kujaku
The series is called Tenjou Tenge. It's a high school/ martial arts series. It was later in the series, that this character was wearing it. Thank you for the suggestion Kujaku, I was leaning towards doing that, but it's nice to hear someone else say it. :)
I don't know if the image will show up or not but, here's a try.
Last edited by Dustie on Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladyhipoo

Post by ladyhipoo »

I don't really see any problem with it. I looked at the picture and it's does really JUMP out at you. I mean it's not like you plan to use the symbol for you banner or anything like that is it?
Dustie
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Dustie »

For heaven's sake, Dustie, now that you've explained a little better, I dont get the same feeling at all. If it is a symbol "that isn't a swastika but might be confused for a swastika", I don't think you should worry about posting it. I uderstand that some people have good reason for hating a swastika, but that isn't even what yours is. So I think you may get some questions about it, but if you don't mind answering the same question over and over about what the symbol really is, I don't see why you shouldn't show it.

My husband is a WWII collector, and I tried to sell one of his SS daggers on ebay last year. I very carefully edited out all the swastika images on the dagger, but I had the word swastika (or Nazi, can't remember which now) in my description and my auction was pulled within 10 minutes. So even though it is a historical fact discussed in a very non-glorifying way, it is still too touchy of a subject to be mentioned/viewed by some.
Sorry.. X| I am a little too conservative sometimes. :bwall But I felt it was better to ask here first before I posted it. :)
I don't really see any problem with it. I looked at the picture and it's does really JUMP out at you. I mean it's not like you plan to use the symbol for you banner or anything like that is it?
Oh, no Im not that in your face with things. (unless I get ticked off! /heh )

thanks everyone,

Dustie
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

I agree with shellie and kujaku on this one. That's a perfectly legitimate, meaningful symbol that isn't even the one that Hitler used.

Maybe you could put some little explanation about it on your gallery. It's a fabulous settei, display it with pride!
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: well..

Post by kisara »

Dustie wrote:Thank you for your opinions, thus far. :)

As a general rule, no I don't like to push the envelope. I bought them for me. However, I do like to promote a series I think is worth seeing and enjoy. (don't we all?!) That might not get seen by others as much as say something that's been shown on the Cartoon Network.

Let me explain a little more. The item in question is part of a set. (settei, data) There are some other pieces with nudity which I am putting little censor symbols on. That isn't a problem. The particular piece has a character that wears an eyepatch with a sauvastika on it. For those who don't know what that is, it basically looks like a swastika symbol; only the legs go counter clockwise. X| I could see a lot of potential problems with putting it up. I dont mind explaining the difference to people.. but some people once they see might not go to me, they might complain elsewhere. Being the stubborn person I can be, I wouldn't be so willing to take it off. Just for the principle of it. Thus the potential for getting banned. :evil:

Now you can see the dilema, that I was talking about. Please continue to voice your opinions. I have enjoyed the different points of view.
It's a norse pagan symbol, representative of stars and heaven. (I haven't seen it used in Buddahism, but then, haven't studied Buddist symbols either :). I know that, but doubt many other people will. I agree with Baakay. I'd maybe put something in the text to explain.
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

Aw hell, Dustie!!! Put it up!!! Don't let a fear of stupid people keep you from fully enjoying something (and letting us enjoy it too! :D ). It's not really BLATANT and as long as you explain what it is I think it's fine.

Jeez, it's not like having a picture of something that might be confused with a swastika means you like nazis or are promoting their aims. Especially if the character is wearing it for non-nazi reasons!

Go on! Put it up! We'll back you if it causes any weirdness! :D
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.