Question and poll

Show off your stuff!

How do you feel about music and animated gifs on galleries?

I hate them both, take 'em off!!!
35%
Animated gifs can stay, but music needs to go!
48%
Music's fine, but get rid of the gifs!
No votes
Love 'em both!
No votes
Don't care one way or another.
17%

Total votes: 23

Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Question and poll

Post by Wolfette »

Ok, this came about from a post in another section of the forum but now I'm curious.

How do people feel about "extra" things on a cel gallery? I'm talking about things like music files in particular - but also animated gifs.

Personally, the way I look at them is this:

Music files - whether it be .wav or .midi or ANYTHING - I hate them. Absolutely, without question or exception. I don't want to be forced to listen to music on someone's site. (I've long held this pet peeve, to the point that I won't link anyone who has them ... :P )

Animated gifs - they're usually *very* large files, and take forever for us poor saps on dialup (thankfully I should be back on DSL within 2 weeks) and I feel they actually take away from the cels themselves. You've got this moving picture on the page, after all.. it's hard for the eye not to be drawn to that instead of the cels. I'm not as harsh on this as music files as far as going to the extreme of not linking, but I will very seldom visit a site I know has them.

Anyway... I'm just curious if other people agree or if it's just me. :P

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

LOL - Well I know there will be at least one person who won't dig my next update - I've got about 12 cels coming. I'm still trying to pay one more off - and I have animated gif's for ALL OF THEM! I figure, if whoever is looking at my page just wants to see the still shot of the cel - the cel picture loads first - and while the gif is loading, they can bug out - If they want to stick around a few seconds to see the gif clip of where the cel appears in the show - they can (my gif files are in the range of 100-200 kb) - In terms of music, the only pet peeve I have with that is if it's late at night and I have my speakers on high (kind of shoots me out of the seat!!) LOL
Cracker
Kamisama - God

Post by Cracker »

I don't mind the music so much, only if as soon as you enter the site it is a gradual fade from low to high sound and you are not all of a sudden barraded with music. I like how on some sites how you can have the option of turning the music on or off. As for animated gifs, I like them but I don't. I like them because sometimes they are something new that I have never seen before, like when I first started collecting I saw a gif that went through the whole sequence from a Dragonball commercial for a video game. I don't remember whos site I saw it on, but it is DBZfan291's avatar right now. So it was helpful for me because there would have been no other way for me to have seen that commercial. I also like it when it is your choice to watch the gif or not. They have the image of the cel or sketch and then a red button telling you if you want to see it animated then click here. I don't like when they are big gifs and take to much time to load. If it does not load with in a certain time frame for me I will leave the site, then like Saiyanwolf I might avoid that site in the future. I REALLY hate when people have Flash intro's that take FOREVER to load and have the stupid little percentage at the bottom of the screen telling me how much longer until it is fully loaded, but takes a long time to view on a cable modem and there is no way to just skip the intro. That just irritates me the most. *whipes sweat off of brow and takes a deep breath* done :)
Cracker is the Genga Kahn of DBZ!- Soda
Sith-Krillin
Kaioshin - Diety
Kaioshin - Diety

Post by Sith-Krillin »

i used to have both on my page, and got to the point where i didn't want to visit my own page anymore...
so i took them off.

i voted no go on both. i get tired of seeing the same .gif files on everyone's sites... always of goku or vegeta blasting nothing...

as far as my animated genga .gif files, i'll link to them so you have the option of seeing them...
but not putting them on the main page.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " - Frank Sinatra
Juunana_Gou
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Juunana_Gou »

I have two gifs, and one music file on my gallery, one gif for my counter, and everyone who has a BoingDragon Counter has a animated gif, I personally, Iike to make my own counter with my own gif, because it can be more "me" looking instead of the average look of 1000's of peeps with the same little dragon... the other gif, I allready took out, because it was pretty annoying and I just never noticed. :laugh
And my music file I have Kim's music for his stage on my Kim wishlist, I delayed it Three seconds, so if you dont want to hear it you can very easily hit *Stop*, but, guess that can go to, I can say I havent heard anything positive about it yet, haha.
So now my gallery contains One Gif, for my Counter, and I will never get rid of that because I like to personalize my counter and I change it every so often...Other than that, I dont really mind either, but if gifs and EVERYWHERE on a page, I just hit the stop loading button, the just click "show picture" On the cel so the gifs dont hold my Dial up Conection back...
"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, With a bullet called life, yeah called life,
You know that every time I try to go Where I really want to be, It's already where I am, Cause I'm already there."
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Ok, obviously a counter is a different matter ;) They're small enough that even on dialup they won't take very long to load.

Also, an animated gif on a genga set is different too, it's nice to be able to see the genga "in motion" - I just don't have the motivation to make one for my own genga set for the Gohan OP. ;)

What I am mostly refering to are the ones that have, as Sith mentioned, Goku, Vejita or whoever blasting something or clips from the show. They just take an eternity to load. When I have to sit there forever waiting for all these "bells and whistles" to load I just back out very quickly. And forget it if there's music. If I see a music file loading I'll just close the browser.

Anyway... just more on my pet peeves ;)

Sheri

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

Arrgh.......I can't STAND music files!!! Grrr.... (I never enjoy going ACW's main page when I check to see what cels were uploaded). Normally I have headphones on listening to some music of my own...and then the BLING BLING PING PING TING TING of MIDI music starts up and overpowers mine :l ...why people even like those things are beyond me! I would be sick of my own site if I had MIDI's playing (like Sith did).
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I voted for getting rid of music files. 99.9% of the time, the music is gritty, whining, it skips, and it just drives me insane! When I have my speakers way up, man my heart stops when that song comes up! I have dial up, and sometimes it's the damn song that hold up everything. X|

As for gifs, they're okay, as long as there aren't too many, and they're not HUGE. I have a few on my site, but they're small. I have dialup, so if it loads quick for me, it should for everyone else. I think if it's done nicely, gifs/animated gifs make a site more pleasing to look at. :wink:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Well I'm a huge culprit of this. I have a ton of gifs on my site. I really enjoy looking at them, but realize that it takes time to load them. That's why I've been thinking about removing them. I just can't decide. I voted that I like gifs, but not music. My speakers are always turned up and the music scares the shit out of me when it comes on. Plus the music is usually lame. I enjoy seeing everyone's collection of gifs. But that's just me. I have dial up, but I'm pretty patient so that I can see the gifs. :wink:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

I for the most part HATE music on the sites cause its always crap like boo booo boo whatever, if its good then I dont mind, but no one would want to come to my gallery if I am pumping Disturbed on it so I dont bother, as for animated gifs, if they are pointless crap then I dotn like them, but I do like seeing cels in a sequence as an animated gif, but I think there should be a section to click on to see it
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

GK - I enjoy your gifs - The time it takes for your gif files to load are MINIMAL - a file that's 100-200 kb takes about 20-25 seconds to load on dialup - That's extremely reasonable in my humble opinion (some still pictures I've seen don't even load that quickly) - I hope you decide not to take them off - Personally, I think animated gif's really add to the presentation - depending on how you do it - Anyways, the owner of the site should do what they think is appealing to them.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I voted that I hate them both, but I don't mind maybe ONE gif. No music please. I hate being forced to listen to some of that canned stuff.

Whenever I visit RAXA, I hold my breath. There's a twirling welcome, dancing penguins, crawl messages, flashing words and a realtime clock — about 25% of the time it crashes my system. Just too damn much.

I have some clips on my site that you may download if you like, but I don't force them on anyone.
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
Allison
Kamisama - God

Post by Allison »

I despise gif's (especially the dbz gifs because they look so fugly) and music too. Also fancy page load effects(remember aaron murphys site?) and mouse effects. (like comet cursor *shudder*)
DBZ291's page completly froze my comp even though he already took off the music XD

Cracker- your avatar is making me hungry. I think I need to get something to eat :P
Sith-Krillin
Kaioshin - Diety
Kaioshin - Diety

Post by Sith-Krillin »

the worst case is when you get an EBAY auction with loads of .GIFs and music...
WFT is up with that?!?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " - Frank Sinatra
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

LOL Sith!! I remember a dew of those! Or the one with BRIGHT OBNOXIOUS color combos! Tomato red with neon green font! 8O X|
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com