Shadows on White Gallery Updates

Show off your stuff!
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Re: Shadows on White Gallery Updates

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I'm slowly working on migrating my RS site over to my own domain once again. It's been about 10 years since I've hosted my gallery on my own site...but I've found a relatively decent gallery to help with organization. I haven't figured out how to customize the design like you can with RS, but at I certainly have more ability to organize things the way I want it. It is very nice to be able to automatically upload multiple images at once and then enter more details about each item later.

Nevertheless, it's going to take a LONG time to fully migrate over there, so I'm starting with my top series and then followed by everything else. Right now I'm trying to get everything from B't X uploaded and displayed right. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how I might be able to keep my original comments on some cels w/o it being displayed on the thumbnails of each cel. It should be possible to only have the longer text displayed on each individual image page... but I don't know how to do it yet. haha Wish me luck!

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's the new site: http://cels.firesanctuary.com
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I've had many cels lingering around my room, having gone without scanning them for a long time... but I finally got around to making some new scans. I haven't uploaded everything to the site yet, but I will gradually throughout the next couple of days.

In the meantime, here are a couple cels that I'm extremely stoked to add!!

B't X Neo - Opening
This is the A16 cel that matches the A17 cel that I purchased almost exactly 10 years ago. It is not possible to love these any more. <3 <3 <3

B't X Neo - Episode 5
Now this was a miracle get. This cel was actually up on auction at Mandarake NEO auctions, but I missed out on it simply because I was stupid. I didn't understand what the NEO auctions were, so I pretty much ignored and forgot all about it. Until I found old auction pages months after the fact. I was horrorstruck when I saw that there was not only one cel from B't X Neo but actually TWO. Both auctions ended with a bidder, so I was bummed but we've all been there before. I was even more shocked to find the very sell up on YJ a month or so later. *GASP* It was priced a bit high for me (I really haven't had the finances to collect as voraciously as I had in the past), but it needed to be mine. <3

I have some more from B't X to add later, including one that I'm also pretty happy to have accurately ID'ed it in less than five minutes. xD Obsessed, perhaps? There are a couple others, however, that are eluding me. :P

Anyway, I've uploaded these to both of my cel sites. Please feel free to have a look at them there as well! :D

http://rekka.rubberslug.com
http://cels.firesanctuary.com
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

The past couple days I've made several updates! Here's a quick sample of what's new!

B't X Neo - Teppei & X (Unsorted)

B't X Neo - Hokuto (Unsorted)

B't X Neo - Metal Face - Episode 9

Twin Signal - Signal - Episode 1

Twin Signal - Elara - Episode 3

Escaflowne - Van (anyone know what episode #??)

Silent Mobius - Ganossa Maximilian - Episode 26 (thanks for the ID!!)

Tenchi Muyo - Nagi & Ken-Ohki - Episode 20

Yakumo Tatsu - Kuraki (Unsorted)

Okay, well that's it for now! I have a couple more things to add sometime soon, too. Thanks for looking! :D
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Awesome update! /no1

I haven’t seen too many cels from Twin Signal.
I think I have a VHS of it somewhere... maybe.
I remember it being a fun OVA, he turned into a munchkin, and his brother, Pulse, was incredibly nearsighted.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

GuyvarIII wrote:Awesome update! /no1

I haven’t seen too many cels from Twin Signal.
I think I have a VHS of it somewhere... maybe.
I remember it being a fun OVA, he turned into a munchkin, and his brother, Pulse, was incredibly nearsighted.
Ooh, thanks! :D

Yeah, I always liked Twin Signal ever since I saw it way back in college, probably. I miss this style of silly shows. Maybe I just haven't watched many series lately or something, but I feel like there aren't many like this any more. Plus, you can't beat those classic seiyuu like Yuki HIro & Koyasu Takehito, either. <3

Cels from the series are incredibly rare, which is weird how two of them from completely two different locations popped up. The last one I found was almost 10 years ago, in Nagoya. 8O

Thanks for stopping by! :D
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Ooooh! I've been able to get some amazing additions lately! Please have a look! <3

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Really like the one with the flying robot unicorn! Something unashamedly over-the-top about that image. The background of the tree with the lens flares is also very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

sensei wrote:Really like the one with the flying robot unicorn! Something unashamedly over-the-top about that image. The background of the tree with the lens flares is also very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Ah, thanks, Sensei!! Actually, the "unicorn" you're talking about is X, a Pegasus type mecha and the namesake for the whole series. It's just a optical illusion that makes him seem like one. That's actually part of his wing. <3

Many of these I ended up forking out a ton for...probably more than I should have, but I couldn't help it. The same cel you were talking about is actually from the end of the 2nd episode, not such a huge point in the series, but sort of the first time the two characters actually worked together rather than fighting each other. The BG is completely unmatching, but it still looks great. A shot of the sun should be at the center of those lens flares. <3

The BG of the tree is also not from a very pivotal scene, but it depicts a "character" that, although immobile, I think has a profound presence throughout. It's the largest tree on Kamui Island, which miraculously appeared out of nowhere after a meterorite stuck there, burying a "piece of the sun" fragment deep below in the surrounding ocean water. The tree represents the life that was given off from this fragment, and parallels Teppei's own existence as one who harnesses his own "piece of the sun" within him. Ahh, don't mind me, just an uber fan geeking out...!!

The cel w/ the sunset background, however, is from a pretty profound moment in the series, as it's one of the very final scenes in the TV series, where they go on a bit of a narrative saying how infinite human potential is compared to mechanical beings. It's quite a shout-out to the whole show as it closes out the TV series and leads way into the dramatic OVA. <3
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:Ah, thanks, Sensei!! Actually, the "unicorn" you're talking about is X, a Pegasus type mecha and the namesake for the whole series. It's just a optical illusion that makes him seem like one. That's actually part of his wing. <3
Dang. I was going to ask for a flying unicorn mecha for Christmas this year. Maybe I still will. That's what is nice about viewing art from a series you don't know: the fan knows all the subtle plot resonances that go with the image, but random browsers like me just know it's a neat image. Thanks for passing on all the subtle BtX background!
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

heehee! Thanks, sensei, always for your comments! It's more than a pleasure to share my geeky B't X love with somebody!! <3

I'm kinda being an emotional idiot tonight...and indirectly saw a post by my ex where he mentioned getting married, having a kid, and getting divorced. This all had to have been within the 4 years that we've been apart--and I cut off ties with him. I seriously don't know why this affects me so much, after all this time. I thought maybe deleting him from my life would make it easier to forget him and move on, but he's always out there, lingering close enough to remind me how much I really miss him. I'm just an idiot. He's the one who broke up with me, albeit suddenly; I'm just a moron for missing somebody who hurt me so much.

So, in a pathetic attempt to cheer myself up, let me share this latest beauty with you:

This is the Angel Breed from Nightwalker that only makes a brief appearance in episode 10. I fell in love with this character after visiting another RS member's site and have casually looked for cels of him since. I've been pretty lucky with the previous two finds, but for this one to appear...!? Beautiful. <3 I actually had a background that pretty well matched the original, too! Very happy!! <3
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Oh, man. I'm a bit late with updates...and every time I think "Oh, I should scan some stuff!", something else grabs my attention. *sigh* And then there's the RS issues. :P

Anyway, I wanted to share this nice find. I haven't found a vertical pan from my top series in a long time. <3 And let me know what you think of the background. I've been on a kick with making my own backgrounds lately, so I'm not sure if I'm doing an OK job or not. This is not a matching background to the scene, but it is inspired by it, using many similar colors. :D

http://cels.firesanctuary.com/displayim ... play_media
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:And then there's the RS issues.
New RS issues? Or the same old RS issues that we've been hacking around for the past couple of years?
Anyway, I wanted to share this nice find. I haven't found a vertical pan from my top series in a long time. <3 And let me know what you think of the background. I've been on a kick with making my own backgrounds lately, so I'm not sure if I'm doing an OK job or not. This is not a matching background to the scene, but it is inspired by it, using many similar colors.
Not knowing the original, I can only say that it looks handsome behind the dramatic cel. It's easy to get a generic unmatching BG with dramatic stripes or starbursts or polka dots, etc. Your strikes me as unassuming but accenting the colors of the battling mechas. (Design reminds me of the stage version of "War Horse" with the mecha-style puppet horses and their onstage puppetmasters.)

And congratulations on your find!
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

sensei wrote:
Rekka Alexiel wrote:And then there's the RS issues.
New RS issues? Or the same old RS issues that we've been hacking around for the past couple of years?
The same issues, I think. Can't upload images. :P
Not knowing the original, I can only say that it looks handsome behind the dramatic cel. It's easy to get a generic unmatching BG with dramatic stripes or starbursts or polka dots, etc. Your strikes me as unassuming but accenting the colors of the battling mechas. (Design reminds me of the stage version of "War Horse" with the mecha-style puppet horses and their onstage puppetmasters.)
Okay, cool! Actually I believe the A2 cel has the dramatic stripes on it that you mentioned. It sort of covers up much of the pretty cel, so I'm kinda glad I found this one instead! Image
sensei

Post by sensei »

Darn. The RS cache is probably full again. I PM'ed Jason on Facebook, and if it's just that, he can get the place back in business pretty quickly.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jason reports that the RS problem is now fixed. If this occurs in future, simply bring it to his attention ASAP as it is an easy short-term fix (but, alas, based on an underlying bug that is not so easy to fix).