Shadows on White Gallery Updates

Show off your stuff!
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Re: Shadows on White Gallery Updates

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

sensei wrote:Jason reports that the RS problem is now fixed. If this occurs in future, simply bring it to his attention ASAP as it is an easy short-term fix (but, alas, based on an underlying bug that is not so easy to fix).
Oh, great! Thanks!!

I keep forgetting how I contacted him the last time. What's the best way to let him know of these problems? Maybe we ought to put up a sticky or something for people to contact him if a problem arises like this? I'd feel bad if a billion people send him messages all at once, though. :P
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:I keep forgetting how I contacted him the last time. What's the best way to let him know of these problems? Maybe we ought to put up a sticky or something for people to contact him if a problem arises like this?
He and I are friends on Facebook, so I send him a message on that service. He seems to spend a good share of time there, so I get a pretty prompt reply. He's also noisywalruforgothislogin but I know that it takes longer to raise him by sending him PMs that way.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

It's been a while since I've posted an update here, although I've made some more updates to my gallery.

These are a couple of my newest additions:

Thanks for looking! :D
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Those are some intense shots, very striking. Congratulations on your updates! :)
Katrina
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Katrina »

Wow, they look awesome. Those are the types of frames that I point to when I'm watching older anime and go, "And that's done with cels! How cool is that?" ^_^
Book + Baby
http://katrinasforest.blogspot.com My adventure of trying to write a novel with a newborn.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

KinoLRB wrote:Those are some intense shots, very striking. Congratulations on your updates! :)
Thanks for looking!! These new ones are joined by other sequence mates that I managed to pick up about ten years ago. <3 I know some people don't like to collect more than one item from a particular sequence...but I really think the subtile differences between each frame is awesome. Plus, I can't help myself. lol
Katrina wrote:Wow, they look awesome. Those are the types of frames that I point to when I'm watching older anime and go, "And that's done with cels! How cool is that?" ^_^
I know, right!? It is amazing what they were able to do with the medium. Sometimes CG effects these days go overboard. ^^;
sensei

Post by sensei »

The b't mecha design is really very impressive -- one wonders if it influenced CLAMP with its "mashin" ("rune god") entities in MKR (or vice versa, I'm vague about the chronology). It's great that you've been able to recover so much of these important cuts.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Ugh, I've been getting "Your message timed out" error messages a lot lately. Anyone else? I just wrote this message and lost the whole thing... starting over from scratch. *sigh*
sensei wrote:The b't mecha design is really very impressive -- one wonders if it influenced CLAMP with its "mashin" ("rune god") entities in MKR (or vice versa, I'm vague about the chronology). It's great that you've been able to recover so much of these important cuts.
These past couple of years have been very lucky with B't X goodies. <3 It's very difficult for me to be selective when so many items tend to pop up at once...and then nothing for a couple months...and then booom! haha

I'm not sure if there is an connection between the designs in MKR and B't X, though. I don't think there are any shared staff members, so maybe any similarities are unintentional or purely coincidental. Still, the manga for both series came out around the same time, MRK in November '93 and B't X in December '94. Kurumada Masami also has a huge love of Greek mythology and mythological creatures, so they often make their way into his stories. I'm not sure if the mechs in MRK have any major mythological allusions, although my MKR knowledge is pretty limited. :P

Well, I've got a couple other new additions!! :D

This was a pretty nice--and cheap--fancel of Takuto and Sugata from Star Driver. Cannot resist the red-haired main characters... <3

And this was a random find. The seller didn't know what it was from, but I recognized it pretty quickly. This is Gawl from the final episode of General Gawl when he's stuck in a nightmare. He attempts to generate...but just explodes into a dripping pile of flesh because Ryuko ripped his generator core from his chest...leaving a giant hole...owww...
sensei

Post by sensei »

This was a pretty nice--and cheap--fancel of Takuto and Sugata from Star Driver.
Heh. "Save this waltz for me."
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

sensei wrote:[Heh. "Save this waltz for me."
heehee, yeah! xD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I haven't made any updates here in a while, so there's a bit of a back log. Also, for anyone concerned about spoilers, my descriptions below get pretty spoilery... so please beware!

Also, I've edited the majority of these in Photoshop, adding in some backgrounds rather than scanning them with real cel backgrounds *cough*lazy*cough*

This is a shot of a young Teppei getting slashed by MetalFace. This one is particularly nice because it's the first pan cel of the following sequence.

This is one of the final shots of B't Mirage, shortly after X's attack.

This is another shot from Kotaro's nightmare sequence from Eps. 21 of the TV series. He dreams that Teppei has come to rescue him...but ends up getting sliced into multiple pieces right in front of him. Of course, nothing graphic is shown on screen. xD

This is another sequence mate from the end of the TV series after the one-on-one battle with Ron. Teppei pretty much gets his armor destroyed and only has his black undergear showing. What can I say--he looks good in black. <3

I actually forgot I had this. x0 I should really rescan this with the original background from the following pan cel. The colors are just really great. I couldn't reproduce the colors as nicely in Photoshop. :P

Image Image
These two are sequence mates from the first episode of the OVA. Nothing particularly spectacular about them, but... xD

This was a pleasant find as well. This is the first time Shadow X "meets" X and instantly recognizes him as her older brother. I call this the "Onii-chan" scene. It's very cute.

This is a nice shot of Teppei shortly after discovering that Shadow X is the little sister of X. This cel was a nice find at Mandarake, but it's got the most peculiar paint chipping that I've ever seen. It seems like whoever did it must have completely destroyed the sketch in a failed attempt to remove it, taking a huge chunk out of the multilayered paint in the process. The most damage is on the right side of Teppei's armor and even extends to part of his face, too. It's very sad. There's also some of the same weird displaced paint chips on the lower left as well. :( Oh well, unfortunate, but it's still a nice shot.

This is a nice one mostly because of it's place in the story. This is from the 6th episode of the OVA when B't Madonna flies off on her own as she's about to die/explode, saving her donor MetalFace in the process. This is him calling after her to come back...to basically take him with her... :(

This is another sequence mate of MetalFace as he's holding up the capsule with a fragment of the sun that he excavated with his still-human hand...which ends up killing him in the process due to it's massive power. What's really nice in this dramatic scene is...throughout his encounters with Teppei, he's learned a lot from him and realized how special Teppei really is--how he's able to "shine by himself". In the end, MetalFace's body disintegrates into light, showing that even he was able to shine in the end. MetalFace is a really great dynamic antagonist who ultimately ends up redeeming himself. Really great.

This is another sequence mate of Teppei, concerned over Hokuto's uncontrollable coughing fits. What Teppei doesn't know is that Hokuto is actually suffering from the final stages of cancer caused by a nuclear bomb attack on his village when he was a child. He was the only survivor.

Image Image Image
These are all really great shots of Naasha toward the end of the OVA series.

I still need to ID which episode this is from, but I'm pretty sure it's from relatively early on in the TV series.

I still need to ID this, but I believe it's from Phoe & Ron's battle from the 25th episode of the TV series. This addition tickles me silly because I’ve been passive-aggressively following a couple auctions on eBay that are so HORRIBLY overpriced, it makes me insane. I saw the original auction on YJ before and it was a set of maybe 5 cels that went for cheap and he wants to sell them separately for over $100 each? Haha. No. I got this one for about $15, which is pretty accurate for a shot like this.

I haven't ID'ed this specifically yet, but it's probably from episode 23. This is a closeup shot of Mislim, one of the Check Point guardians of the Area.

I've ID'd this in the past, but I don't remember where my notes went. I think it's from around episode 10 or so of the OVA series.

Not exactly sure which episode this is from yet, either. If I were to guess, I'd say it's from somewhere toward the end of the TV series, but I could be wrong. xP I also went very crazy on the editing of this cel. Sorry. But I think the edits I made complement the cel well enough that maybe it doesn't matter...?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

WOW Rekka, that's a huge update! And look at all the painted lovelies! I myself have never seen B'tx but after spending sometime in you gallery who wouldn't want to you have amassed quite an amazing collection!

I'm going to have to say the Teppei in black is one of my favorites!

JD ^_^
:multi
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Jadeduo wrote:I'm going to have to say the Teppei in black is one of my favorites!
heehee Yes!! Teppei is, of course, my favorite character, so that particular shot is one of my favs, too!! <3

Thanks for taking a look, JD. :D
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

This is my recent GET. <3 Lovely Teppei pan. <3

Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Oh SO PRETTY! I'm sorry I missed it when you first posted!

No more new series for me, despite your evil temptations!

JD