Sensei's May Madness 4: Focus on Tennimon, KKJ, and Palme

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Sensei's May Madness 4: Focus on Tennimon, KKJ, and Palme

Post by sensei »

One of the nice things about giving up cels for Lent is that, for a brief while, you can indulge in a few purchases that you'd otherwise pass on during the year. So my "May Madness" updates are always times for (relatively speaking) a little spontaneous, unpredictable indulgence.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

This year, when Lent came to an end, there were an unusual number of very pretty Magic Knight Rayearth cels on the market. I've never seen a MKR cel that wasn't just plain lovely in color and design, and the artistic work in the sketches gets me in the solar plexus every time. (No, not there ... 2 inches higher, right in the hara, or "belly," the source of spiritual energy in Eastern mystic traditions.)

So ... better and better ... when Lent ended there were four nice cels that went with genga sets I'd already acquired:

1. From the opening moments of Episode 49, the adventure that brings all the threads of the story to climax, a terrified Nova being confronted by Hikaru for the last time.

2. Also from the concluding episode, Alcyone sealing her doom by revealing Debonaire’s secret.

3. A powerful A1 cel of Hikaru starting to cast Fire Arrow, as well as

4. the incredibly intense A7 cel (second key) from the same sequence.

These last two were especially important to me, as my "Fire Arrow" gengas were a hard-fought win on YJ two summers ago, during which I did the absolute maddest thing I've ever done in my life: I bid using both SMJ and Rinkya, confusing two stubborn (and well-heeled) Japanese bidders into thinking two absolutely mad American bidders were engaging in a price war. ("Yesssss ... my preciousssss ... the lot will be oursssss .... do not be crossss with me ...)

I was sure I'd been bizarrely, irrecoverably foolish when I won the lot (for more than I'd ever paid for gengas, by a long shot). This sheepish feeling lasted nearly a month ... until I opened the plastic case from Rinkya and saw what I'd won.

And now two cels from the same cut ... hitsuzen ... in honor of the occasion I've changed my avatar ... AIR fans will recognize the allusion.

The rest of the mad May update will take some time as it's peak paper-grading time now at my college. But watch for more MKR, TnN, CCS, Slayers, KKJ, Palme, and, of course, lots and lots of PPGZ (soon appearing in the US on Cartoon Network! Mahou Shoujo Rule!)

Back to the papers ... "Yesss preciousss ... must earn money ... for celsssss"
Last edited by sensei on Thu May 17, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Sensei's May Madness Update: focus on MKR

Post by otakusin »

sensei wrote:from the concluding episode, Alcyone sealing her doom by revealing Debonaire’s secret.
Sensei you have no idea how happy I am to see that you had won that one. I had actually planned on bidding on that exact one but mixed the ending days up in my mind so I missed out. I was so depressed thinking it may had went blackhole on me. It's definitely nice to know I can still ogle it anytime I want. Kudos on such great finds!!
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

very nice mkr update, sensei.
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

GORGEOUS new additions! Seems like you cel-ebrated the ending of Lent in grand style, as it should be. I'm so happy to see these beautiful pieces going into your gallery, particularly since it allowed you to reunite the sketches with these cels.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next update, too!

Congrats!!
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Lovely MKR cels, Sensei! I cannot wait to see the other items that you'll be adding later. :)
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

Beautiful MKR cels! The Hikaru's are great! :^^:
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

The expression on Hikaru's face on the first fire arrow cel is so amazing! Congrats on your win!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Sensei's May Madness Update: focus on MKR

Post by cutiebunny »

sensei wrote:..during which I did the absolute maddest thing I've ever done in my life: I bid using both SMJ and Rinkya..
(chuckle...snort) I knew I wasn't the only one who has done this. :vict

Those are some nice MKR cels. I'm looking forward to your next update as always.
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

As usual, I already wrote you about these beauties, but I wanted to add my congrats on your great finds here as well.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Sensei,

What a wonderful update! The MKR cel and sketch compilations from episode 49 are incredible and give the viewer an excellent impression of the time and effort both on and behind the cel required to create the episode. I'm looking forward to your PPGZ drawings. Your Fire Arrow casting cels are particularly viewsome. I have part of that sequence with Hikaru casting with trailing spirals of flame. Congratulations!
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
sensei

Post by sensei »

A very quick thank-you to all who visited and posted nice things about my
Rayearth foursome. I'm cruel busy now with end-of-semester grading and paperwork, so the rest of the update will have to wait. I will, however, be back with some very nice PPGZ, including (yay!) more entrance bank sketches, two of which weren't shown on the dealer's photos of the lot and so came as delightful surprises.

But for now /kis and a quick dash back to the paper stack (if you don't watch them, they miscegenate and create even more papers to grade...)
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

Very nice and bright MKR cels. The dougas look especially detailed and beautiful :^^: Hope looking at the cels will spur u on with the marking of papers! :wink:
sensei

Post by sensei »

May madness continues with

some cute layout sketches from CCS Episode One,

plus the first of some major additions to the Powerpuff Girls Z galleries, including

more original hand-drawn settei sheets and
new and improved entrance bank sketches.

But don’t miss the two exquisite new cels from Magic Knight Rayearth:

a vulnerable-looking Hikaru and,
from Episode 49, a powerful cel of Umi mourning the passing of Alcyone.

Up soonish (one more set of papers and exams to cross): lots and lots of PPGZ, the Mushishi art boards, some neat Slayers gengas, and some major additions to TnN (nudity!) and Palme (cue the wind machine!)
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

The settei sheets are really neat! I watched maybe a minute of PPGZ before deciding I prefer the original, but I did get a major giggle from your Mojo Jojo sheet. It might not be new to this update, but definitely worth looking at. :crackup