Useful Cels

Show off your stuff!
Makoto

Useful Cels

Post by Makoto »

Hi everyone,

I wonder, what do you do with your cels? Do you stash them away or do you use them as decoration for you rooms like I do?

At the moment there are most of my Idol-Project-cels ( http://www.jasms.de/galerie/g_idol_project.html ) which look very nice in this place, but I change it from time to time.

Bye,

Makoto
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

Mine are hidden...My family does not take kindly to my stuff...My collectivles always seem to get "hurt" my precious barbie got her head torn...my Egyptian statue (sent to me by my aunt that went there) is now broken in 5 parts......My window drapes got blue paint spilled on them...by a paint twirling sister....so......
I don't think I'll risk it.....
Maybe when I get my own room..then they will be all over the place ^_^

p.s= they look so pretty on your walls!
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I keep mine pretty securely upright in cel books, protected from light and humidity.

The genga sets are all stored inside separate archival bags and stacked in the black boxes to the left. There are more boxes in my closet for the huge items, all leaning against the back wall to minimize weight on the bottom cel. At least once a year I go through the whole collection to air out fumes, change cel bags if necessary, and watch for condition changes such as celotape damage.

It's not very splashy, but I haven't seen visible changes in trace lines since I initially took possession and scanned them. I guess I'm more fixated on keeping the items I obtain at least in the same condition I got them, rather than seeing them visibly damaged because of my use of them. I'm more apt to do creative things with prints of scans than with the cels themselves, due to their fragility.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Sensei. The only exception is my Seiya and ESM douga that I purchased from Ginga. Thats framed, but waiting for the purchase of UV glass. It was too large to have in a normal sized cel book.
Most of my genga and douga collection are in those clear plastic boxes that Rinkya likes to use. Ultimately, I'd like to get mylar bags for some of them.
I've been using one of my genga sets to create a background/banner, and probably planning to hang that up for display once I've got it finished in photoshop.

Your Idol Project cels are pretty neat btw.

Moonrabitt -that really and truly sucks! I'm sorry that your family doesn't seem to respect your belongings.
ashenfairy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ashenfairy »

Most of them are stored safely in cel books. The miyuki chan storyboards are split between two just for them. And most of the sketches are in plastic file boxses. We have a few oversized cels that really aren't stored well at all (basically bagged and laying a a pile) but, I have yet to find something good for the giants. We have three of the miyuki chan cels and the wish cel of adult kouyruu framed in our living room (they don't get any direct light at that room doesn't even have an overhead light).

I'd like to get more cels safely framed as I really like being able to enjoy them all the time as that's why I spent so much on painted plastic in the first place. But, I totally understand people who like to keep them absolutely safe as they are fragile. I did have to take one of our previously framed cels down due to fading. Though as it turns out it's still fading just as fast sitting in a book for the last 3 years. :(

http://www.avaneshop.com/ Our anime, games and geekery webshop
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

I store what I have left in cel books, which are in turn stored in large reseal able plastic bags (made for clothes I guess) which are then placed under the bed. It is neither glamorous nor worthy or such great art. In short, I suck. But I'm too busy to do anything about it.
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Silverdove

Post by Silverdove »

All of my cels, except for the two signed Don Bluth cels, are stored in a cel book. The two Don Bluth cels are covered in protective plastic at the moment. I hope to get a larger cel book soon so I can put them in. Maybe in the future I'll get a couple of the cels framed. I want to have all of my cels in excellent condition. Kept safe and away from the pets. ;)
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

wow, Makoto, how do you hang them? i see that they are matted but are they framed in glass too? that's a very neat idea. :)

myself im pathetic. i have two itoyas and more cels than room in the itoyas so i put some cels inbetween the pages (not actually slipped in the plastic sheets but between them loosely).
i broke and cant afford another book for awhile. :hurt:
im hoping to someday get separate itoyas for each series i own ... someday
*crosses fingers*
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by toonybabe »

I have all of mine in Itoyas. I have a large one for my oversized cels and a smaller one for my regular sized cels. Recently, though, I've aquired a lot of Unico cels so they now have their own Itoya book! I have 11 pages of comic art too and those are sitting in their mylar sheets upright in a box leaning against my wall (away from sunlight though). I do have some douga sheets loose sitting in a file box - as soon as I get some time over break I am planning on getting mylar and a cel book for them too.

In a perfect world I would love to display my cels but I am just too worried about damaging them. I've bought a lot of cels that have arrived framed. I take them out of the frame ASAP and get them in the cel bag and cel book.

I often have fantasies about becoming a billionare and having all of my cel art professionally framed and filling every inch of my huge mansion walls. Or maybe I would build a climate controlled cel vault and put them there - you know, like the kind Disney has where you have to dodge the lasers, key in the right code and activate the retina scanner before you can get inside.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

I'm with the majority on this one; much as I'd love to plaster my cels on every wall in the house, it's not really conducive to their longevity. I keep them safe and sound in their Itoyas, and use scans (well, of the ones that I've gotten around to scanning, anyway) for ogling purposes. :^^:

Yours do make a lovely display, though! :)
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

[quote="Belldandy16"]wow, Makoto, how do you hang them? i see that they are matted but are they framed in glass too? that's a very neat idea. :)

They actually are glass-framed. The frames measure 30*30 cm and fit quite well to cels (at least the regular sized ones). The glass is not UV proof but there is not much sun in my living room anyway.

By the way, since Idol-Project cels never come with backgrounds I added some fake backgrounds myself. I did this by taking screen shots from the DVD, doing some (in fact a lot of) editing and finally printed them in suitable size. And with these the cels look much nicer, so it was worth the effort.
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Like most people here I keep mine safely tucked into their cel books. And the books carefully placed in my closet. Probably the safest place in my whole room. :)

Makoto your cels do look gorgeous on your wall. :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

My cels are nearly all in Itoya folders or in my drawer. The small Itoya folders are over the top of my closet between comic book boxes so that they stand more upright:

I have three larger Itoya folders for the larger background cels that are in a zipped art portfolio to keep them out of the light:
Most of my more worthless cels are stacked in my drawer. (I forgot to take a picture of it).

On top of my desk are several dozen sketch sets (and a few cels on top):

...which look like this on closer inspection:
It's stacked so well that I never want to go through this pile looking for a specific set to scan. It would take forever to properly put this stack back together again. :emb

I have some deputy/dealer boxes stacked here:
The bottom big box contains storage boxes I bought a few months ago to put my sketches in. :wow: The long skinny box is the Fate/stay night Sakura figure box.

Another unopened package plus more sketches and that really long Sentimental Journey pan opening cel/douga sketch is sitting on top of the chair:

There's some more cels and sketches here:

What a mess eh? :( :hurt:
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Keropi, those look surprisingly similar to my stacks.
Isn't this a fun hobby?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

miz ducky wrote:Keropi, those look surprisingly similar to my stacks.
Isn't this a fun hobby?
Yeah...tell me about it. That's one of the reasons I don't want to get as much as I used to (there isn't room). :hurt:

It's a lot easier viewing seller's scans on the computer HD than it is finding the actual sketches.