Phoenix Gallery Update

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Phoenix Gallery Update

Post by sensei »

That's quite an update, Quacker, with really desirable and eyeworthy stuff included. Some of it I caught during my visits to the gallery updates on RS, but here's a few comments.

Your Naked Tessa relizu from FMP is certainly worth several hundred more hits. As you say, the quality of the light is unusual and impressive, making her look indeed like a goddess rather than a girl who's slipped on the soap. The rubber duckie is genius.

The Rahxephon sketches of Quon are very emotive, a great view of this character in a characteristic pose and expression. But there seems a problem with the terminology: as I see it, the featured image is the douga, the first thumb is the genga, and the second thumb is the layout.

Sara from School Rumble is a very pretty character design that reminds me of Ai Yori Aoshi. The smile is especially cute.

Not being an EVA fan, I was intrigued by the notes on your cel of Rei in the "normal" world. Hyper Police also has a "normal" world scene, in which the characters appear as normal high schoolers in an unmagical world. And the "world without Yukito" scene in CCS's "final judgment" seems to have a similar function. As one who is starting to write about what anime is really saying about the "normal" world, putting these together is giving me new ideas. (Oh, and a rare and funny cel btw -- congratulations!)

And your Escaflowne additions are, as always, phenomenal. The Van/Merle master set-up is a monster addition. But in my perverse way, the eyeball zoom cel of Hitomi interests me most, as this too is a frequent technique in anime. (Interesting that it's Hitomi's right eye, rather than the left one which is more common.)

And thanks, as always, for your careful presentation, with background and context notes, which really help a visitor like me appreciate these fully.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Grandiose update as usual, James! Perhaps even more so with the new Rei cel. As you mentioned, this is the first one of its rare sequence that I've seen on rubberslug galley in public display. Now, I'm not a EVA fan myself but, even I remember the sudden change of pace lighthearted scene nearly leading to the final congratulation moment, truly impressive!

Also really like your Chidori eyecatch cel, never thought I'd see it, its quite the beauty. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I'm already grinding through ch 1 of Bravely Default and finding the classic FF style system with many caught up to date improvements to be quite enjoyable. Only thing I didn't like was that its got quite a few elements of multiplayer in it(rebuild village, learn higher lv moves early etc.) and I don't know anyone else thats playing this right now lol
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

What an amazing cel of Rei. I am a huge NGE fan, and it's exciting to see a super-rare cel from this much debated yet iconic sequence from the final episode. Congratulations on your fantastic find. :D
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Thank-you, Sensei, K-LRB and UB Lee for the kind words & comments.

There was about six months worth of auction wins & purchases combined to make up that update, I wanted to have some 'breathing space' on some of the more expensive & unique items. (I initially received a few email inquiries from some collectors asking/demanding if that was me Bidding on Rei/Quon/Megumi Hanken). So it is probably double the usual amount of Cels/items I would normally upload.

From other PMs & gallery feedback emails received, there are some definite clear "favorites" already popping out.
sensei wrote:Your Naked Tessa relizu from FMP is certainly worth several hundred more hits. As you say, the quality of the light is unusual and impressive, making her look indeed like a goddess rather than a girl who's slipped on the soap. The rubber duckie is genius.
Originally I was unsure whether to censor or leave as is - in the end, I left as it was because this particular Rilezu, the exact image, was also used on the back-cover of local DVD release along with an episode synopsis and figured if the DVD-cover could use it, then so could I!? Though I am surprised about the number of views/hits this item has already gathered. The "rubber-duckie" is kinda an inside joke with family & friends as that was just one of numerous nicknames I was called whilst going through high-school. I even received an email request late last week asking if it would possible to remove the Duckie layer - ahhhh no!!
sensei wrote:And your Escaflowne additions are, as always, phenomenal. The Van/Merle master set-up is a monster addition. But in my perverse way, the eyeball zoom cel of Hitomi interests me most, as this too is a frequent technique in anime. (Interesting that it's Hitomi's right eye, rather than the left one which is more common.)
I was really ecstatic to have won the 'Van/Merle' cel - this really is one of my favorite episodes; I remember while first watching the series I found myself wishing/hoping that Hitomi would make it back to Gaea, enthralled watching Van struggle to find a way to get to Earth & bring her back.
Interestingly, the Original planned story where the production & series-length was slated to be 36-38 episodes before budget-cuts & a sudden change in TV scheduling reduced the series to its 26 episodes - Hitomi was to spend a much longer time separated away from Van.
theultimatebrucelee wrote:Also really like your Chidori eyecatch cel, never thought I'd see it, its quite the beauty. Thanks for sharing!
Not a problem dude! Both Fumoffu Eyecatches look amazing side-by-side together, I cannot thank AnimeJewell enough for allowing me to purchase both from her.
KinoLRB wrote:What an amazing cel of Rei. I am a huge NGE fan, and it's exciting to see a super-rare cel from this much debated yet iconic sequence from the final episode. Congratulations on your fantastic find. :D
As you can imagine, the 'Rei' cel has also garnered quite a bit of attention & interest too - way more than I ever anticipated. I am still in the process of researching & gathering notes in order to write a more in-depth, detailed discussion, which is proving to be quite a neat little challenge as there are so many different theories and speculations as to what this last episode and its individual segments all meant and how they should be interpreted. Reading through all of these separate interpretations and webpages finds me keen to hunt down other such Cels from these elusive scenes.
theultimatebrucelee wrote:BTW, I'm already grinding through ch 1 of Bravely Default and finding the classic FF style system with many caught up to date improvements to be quite enjoyable. Only thing I didn't like was that its got quite a few elements of multiplayer in it(rebuild village, learn higher lv moves early etc.) and I don't know anyone else thats playing this right now lol
Glad to hear that you are enjoying "B-D" mate, I wouldn't lead you astray. Currently I am half-way through Chapter 5 with Lvl.99 Nemesis' in my village. These multiplayer features were added to the basic game for the Western release, I am actually enjoying these new features. Switch your "Street Pass" on and if you pass anyone on the street who happens to also be playing 'B-D' - they will be added to your village. Let me know when you are playing and I shall attempt to contact you when I go to "Update Data".
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
jmannpv
Anime Geek

Post by jmannpv »

Hi I really like your two new cels...I would definitely be happy to have those two in my collection...look forward to the next update!
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Quacker wrote:Glad to hear that you are enjoying "B-D" mate, I wouldn't lead you astray. Currently I am half-way through Chapter 5 with Lvl.99 Nemesis' in my village. These multiplayer features were added to the basic game for the Western release, I am actually enjoying these new features. Switch your "Street Pass" on and if you pass anyone on the street who happens to also be playing 'B-D' - they will be added to your village. Let me know when you are playing and I shall attempt to contact you when I go to "Update Data".
So the other day when I was restoring the crushed browser, the side quest part of game guide I was following somehow landed 1/4 of a page higher and ended up at the final boss section...I was so horribly pissed glancing at the name of the final boss...what an awesome twist...that's going to become for me in 5 more chapters lol

It'd be nice if we could exchange friend's code, I tend to play it whenever I can sneak in some time. Finally begin to like the street pass feature because after one week of passing by different areas, I've gathered 17 workers in the village, surprisingly.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

G'Day mate! Apologies for my late reply - not much of an excuse but for the past fortnight I have been exceptionally busy with work, training, managing my own Businesses & projects which ultimately left precious little time for anything else unfortunately. There are also some PMs I have received too in which I have not even had the opportunity to read, I promise by week's end I will properly reply to each.
theultimatebrucelee wrote:So the other day when I was restoring the crushed browser, the side quest part of game guide I was following somehow landed 1/4 of a page higher and ended up at the final boss section...I was so horribly pissed glancing at the name of the final boss...what an awesome twist...that's going to become for me in 5 more chapters lol

It'd be nice if we could exchange friend's code, I tend to play it whenever I can sneak in some time. Finally begin to like the street pass feature because after one week of passing by different areas, I've gathered 17 workers in the village, surprisingly.
Oh Dude! What a way & shame to find out!! (I will try to keep names out of this in case anyone decides to play "B-D". It is massive, massive twist in the entire story:
Having someone your character is meant to have completely trusted & lead you through the game's adventure, really provides an emotional impact
To be fair though, the game & dialogue starts to provide clues as to the nature and who the true villain is as early as Chapter 4 (Vampire sub-quest - the final painting) continuing through Chapter 5 (Yulyana's & Braev's discussions) becoming more pronounced in the later chapters as well as little snippets pushing you in only certain directions. But they are not the 'final' Big, end of game boss - they are just their 'emissary'. Currently I am just starting Chapter Seven, with one more Chapter to go until the big revel & massive fights.
That would be good David, let me know when you are on & will attempt to contact you, my ID = "DuckiePhoenix" using Agne's with 'Meteor'.

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Will definitely try to invite/add you James. Just need to figure out how to do it when I get the chance lol but yeah, just got to chapter 6 the other day and broke a crystal, and...all hell breaks loose, I was expecting the character to have slightly more appealing appearance-_- Great twist though that reminded me of Blue Dragon and Ys 7. And didn't know there was multiple endings to the game either, quite sophisticated for a handheld title and as expected of the great SquareEnix.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

I do hope everyone I sent 'Phantom' Open House comments through to, received them & was not upset by any of the comments/suggestions made?

I only had time for a 'small' update unfortunately before I had to jet off for a well-deserved Holiday away with the family.

Original Artworks:
The new section to this minor update. I have always been an avid art collector, even long before deciding to purchase into Anime Cels; thus I decided I would help support promising local, upcoming anime artists. The three items attached below are all from the same artist, unfortunately though she was a bit shy in signing her artworks for me knowing I would be uploading them onto my RS Gallery site as well as her details have not been received in which I was allowed to write-up & promote has been received as yet:

Sword Art Online:
http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=378961

Yuko - Gureen Lagaan:
http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=378962

Mikasa - Attack on Titan:
http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=378963

One new 'Evangelion' Cel, following on from last update's Rei last episode cel, I was fortunate enough to acquire a gorgeous Misato Katsuragi Opening Credit Cel. My 'Evangelion' section is slowly starting to come together & take shape I am pleased to report, though there are still a few more pieces I would like to add. As an added Bonus I was also able to have the Seiyuu who portrays Misato, Kotono Mitsuishi, sign the Cel for me at a recent local convention. (Unfortunately, for the first time a "one item per person" rule was introduced & enforced so I was quite upset I was not able to get any further signed, especially for fellow A-B members):

Signed Misato OP 'Evangelion' Cel:
http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=378964

Lastly, but certainly not least, this represents another "Ultimate" Dream Cel for me:

Yurika END 'Nadesico' Cel:
http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=378966

I have been after a Cel from this particular sequence for well over 5years, since one first appeared but mistakenly let it go thinking another would list up - how wrong I was. After I received the confirmation from the SELLER I had to pinch myself, make sure that I was not dreaming!
These new Cels are indicative of the direction I now would like to take my Gallery in, rather than spend on 'many' cels I much rather concentrate on those single 'high-end' items. There are still many more items sitting back at home waiting to be scanned & uploaded, in the mean time, I hope you enjoy these.

sensei

Post by sensei »

Congratulations, James, on your two new super-high-end items. You really are developing into a discerning "art collector" rather than an "enthusiast" as many of us in the hobby remain.

The production quality of the Nadeshiko cel is visibly excellent: the hair becomes in itself almost a mode of communication in cels like these, nearly as important as the eyes (also beautifully done). And the Misato Evangelion cel is also an important addition, this one visibly nervous and "in motion" contrasting with the Yurika is still and at rest. Congratulations on meeting Mitsuishi Kotono, who also did lots of other minor roles in unforgettable ways. I remember the huge impact of her monologue as Miki-san, the toyshop owner, in Ep. 5 of CCS. Watching it long ago on fansub (on a VHS tape, with pterodactyls buzzing the windows and sabre-tooth tigers howling outside the cave entrance), I was immediately fixated by the performance and was not surprised later to find the seiyuu was a major player. (She also did Fonne in Hyper Police, another minor character who delivers a big emotional punch whenever she appears.)

Your fanart watercolors are also very eyeworthy. I like the "manga-style" approach, which gives the characters a more complex, three-dimensional feel, contrasting with the "superflat" look of most production cels and sketches. Thanks for encouraging young artists: I hope that your friend does share her contact information.

And have a restful and pleasant holiday with your family!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

That Yurika is quite stunning. Congrats on the additions
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Nice update and I'm glad you were able to meet Mitsuishi-san. I'm amazed that she can still do a great Usagi, 20 years after she first recorded her.

And welcome to the slippery slope that is original artwork. I'm glad to see more people on the board are collecting them :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks for sharing the Yurika ending cel James! Its the most beautiful and memorable Yurika cel I've seen to date and I'm sure its a dream cel for every Nadesico collector/Yurika fan out there, truly a gorgeous masterpiece and purchasing it is certainly no walk in the park. Think you'll be expecting a lot of residual hits on the piece from now on :D

Really look forward to the rest of your update and wish you a pleasant vacation!
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Thank-you everyone for all of your positive comments. I apologize in taking so long to properly reply, as lame as an excuse it sounds - things have been quite busy since arriving back.
I arrived back home early on the Thursday morning with plans to spend the the following week 'recuperating' from all of the traveling dashed when I received a call on the following Monday from a mate asking if I was available to come into the city for an interview the next day. Back into the city on the Tuesday for an interview with the MD of a new start-up Firm then getting informed that could have the job if I wanted & if I could start straight-away on the Thrusday! No more than a week after getting back from my first proper holiday in about two decades, I was due to start a wholly new job assisting the MD himself.
theultimatebrucelee wrote:Thanks for sharing the Yurika ending cel James! Its the most beautiful and memorable Yurika cel I've seen to date and I'm sure its a dream cel for every Nadesico collector/Yurika fan out there, truly a gorgeous masterpiece and purchasing it is certainly no walk in the park. Think you'll be expecting a lot of residual hits on the piece from now on :D

Really look forward to the rest of your update and wish you a pleasant vacation!
The 'Nadesico' Yurika END Credit cel has certainly garnered quite a bit of additional attention & notoriety, during the break I received an Offer from a collector via the RS Feedback to the equivalent of USD7,000.00!? Of course I respectfully declined stating that the cel was now firmly entrenched within my collection as well as followers of the series like that they are able to visit anytime & view a cel from that particular sequence.
cutiebunny wrote:Nice update and I'm glad you were able to meet Mitsuishi-san. I'm amazed that she can still do a great Usagi, 20 years after she first recorded her.

And welcome to the slippery slope that is original artwork. I'm glad to see more people on the board are collecting them :)
Thanks C-B, getting to see & meet Mitsuishi-san was a positive experience; she was extremely courteous & professional both during her panels and whilst greeting fans. Wearing a traditional Kimono, dare I say she carried herself with a poise & elegance that is sadly lacking from most other 'celebrities' nowadays. I believe she was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people turning-up for her panels & her single signing-session. During the signing session, when I produced the Misato Cel for her to sign she again expressed surprise and through her interpreter asked where I had gotten the cel from, how long had I owned it, was Misato my favourite 'Evangelion' character (answer 'yes', beating out Rei who comes in at second) and that I should watch 'Sailor Moon' (both old & new series).
I am sorry that I was not able to have your Usagi cel signed by Mitsuishi-san too, once back in your possession you may notice a single lonely black dot on the highest layer - she was literally just starting the motion to sign your cel when a Rep. dressed in black suit emerged from the shadows and promptly stopped her claiming that it was only "one signed item per person only". Naturally I was quite upset with the introduction of this new 'rule' as I had planned on picking-up Mitsuishi-san's autograph for UBLee, Sensei & other A-B members whom I know enjoyed & collect from her shows as a surprise.

The holiday itself......was interesting. All up, we were going away for a little over 4weeks with one week in Waikiki & then staying 23nights onboard a cruise ship, boarding @ Waikik then slowly making our way back to Sydney.
Due to various built-up reasons (chief among them not being properly paid my Brokerage, Bonus & Commissions earned over the prevailing 12months) I had resigned from the Firm I had been working for only two weeks prior so it would be a good time to unwind & relax. Unfortunately nobody informed madame Fate of my desired plans as they did not eventuate. No sooner had I started to settle in & enjoy myself, I got food poisoning and was 'knocked-out' for 3days. By the time I got better, it was our last day in Waikiki and due to board the cruise ship for out next adventure.

We had the misfortune of being booked into a stateroom that was directly above the main lobby of the ship..........and there was a gap between the flooring & door itself which defeated the sound-proofing of the room. Suffice to say that with the ship hosting a different themed party for the first 2weeks of the cruise & each party finishing-up anywhere between 01:00-03:00 in the morning - sleep was scarce. During that time I became quite intimately knowledgeable of the ship's inner workings & surroundings as I would go on late night walks because it was too noisy to sleep; I got about 16hrs in the first week and then a total of 26hrs in the second.
By the end of the 2nd week I looked like a rejected extra from "The Walking Dead" and was so desperate for a decent night of sleep that I had started going to the onboard gym 2/3 times throughout the day in an effort to tire myself. In the third week I got a migraine (sun-reflection & lack of sleep) and started getting 'back-aches' - so stopped going to the gym.
Over the next couple of days, these 'back-aches' intensified and by the weekend shifted across to my left side such that I could not sit still or lean on my left side due to the pain. On the Monday in our final week the pain suddenly flared up on my right side which is when I hobbled myself down to the medical facility, the doctor diagnosing me 'appendicitis'. Being ruled as a "surgical" procedure and the ship currently docked in Vanuatu, the ship's doctor authorized my Father (acting as caretaker) & I to be disembarked & picked up by an emergency ambulance and delivered to the Vanuatu 'hospital'. The ambulance was late in reaching the ship - so much so that by the time I was stretched-off into the awaiting ambulance - the ship was late to depart from its berth and every single passenger & crew must have gathered on the starboard side looking down at this young man getting taking off by an ambulance (I have a vivid memory of looking up & seeing the ship's side crowded with people all looking down at me and since I was strapped in I could not look away!). The ambulance driver, who was a fellow Aussie, loved the situation & started back at the crowd, with poor Father hopping into the front cabin with him. The Aussie paramedic elected to drive me to an urgency medical centre rather than the local hospital where a French doctor diagnosed me suffering from Kidney Stones. Rather "large" kidney stones. He treated me for the stones, all the while amazed that I had held off for 4/5days without any prior medication before succumbing to the pain, then Father I spent the next 3nights in Porta Villa, Vanuatu awaiting the first flight back home to Sydney. Ironically, this part of the vacay was the most enjoyable (once the pain diminished).
There was no Internet/WiFi available on our cruise ship - well there was, but I refused to pay USD60.00per hour or USD265per day for the privilege of access - so spent the entire time internet-free. This of course very nearly drove me nuts as I still had trading & market news to keep abreast of. Thank goodness for Travel Insurance as the combined medical bill came to around AUD8,000!! I will not get all of that back, but at least a majority of it.

Looking back over it, I laugh about it and at least the parentals + my niece enjoyed themselves.

I still have a massive update to finalize, still in the process of researching & drafting notes but will hopefully start uploading some new items into the gallery over the weekend; there is a heap of Nadesico, Garden of Sinners, Fate/Stay Night & of course Escaflowne.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Sorry to hear that your "cruise of the walking dead" turned out to be such an ordeal, but at least you survived and now have a wonderfully baroque tale to tell at family occasions. I'm sure it will entertain your family for years to come, and the hilarious bits will remain memorable to the younger generation long after the last telling. The kidney stones, sadly, sound familiar. My father served in Trinidad during WWII (a naval detachment combatting German subs, which preyed on ship traffic heading to and from the Panama Canal). It was brutal hot, and with lots of sweaty work to do (I have photos of him and his fellow officers at work seemingly dressed only in their underclothes). He eventually had an attack much like yours, had to be flown back to the states, and unfortunately lost one of his kidneys as a result. It seems as if your doctors were prudent in having you checked out, and it was fortunate that your stones could be reduced without permanent damage.

Looking forward to your next update, especially the Esca and Nadeshiko beauties to come! And congratulations on the good news on the job front!