Small addition to my gallery.

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Small addition to my gallery.

Post by sensei »

Congratulations on getting the second of the CCS Ep. 49 "unique battle costume" set! If #3 shows up, it certainly will be an auction worth watching (just to munch popcorn, of course...) And your other additions show interesting new directions in your collecting. I find Yamibou art very interesting and well done, though the storyline gives me multiple cooties, and so I'm always happy to be able to look at new additions in your gallery. The new pouting Lilith is especially nice. Oniisama-E seems to be a series with an interesting artistic look, much more genga-like than anime-like. The harmony cels are especially "super-flat" in a style that resembles book illustrations rather than moving animation. That's one that I'll have to keep on my radar (not at auction time...).

The Moon Phase hanken sketches are delightful. I have a soft spot in my aesthetic feelings toward cats and cat-girls. And, on the far other end of my quirky artistic likes, the Hell Girl sketches are disturbing in an enjoyable way. (I once knew a graduate student in English who suddenly started looking like this when she read some feminism and the scales fell from her eyes.)

Thanks for sharing your adventurous journeys through animation art!
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Yay!
another Hell Girl collector!
your new additions are wonderful
:cheers
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:also that's a lot of bid war fee there on the nice CCS cel, I'm very carious, do you by chance know how their bid war fee is calculated?
If i recall correctly,the bidwar fee SMJ charges is 20% of the difference between the top bid as shown on the YJ auction and the actual amount at which the winning SMJ bidder has overtaken the other SMJ user's bid. In the case of this ep.49 CCS cel, the price the auction ended at was 50000 yen, while my final bid was actually 170000 yen, said bid having overtaken the other SMJ user's bid at the 168000 yen mark. Bidwar fee included, this cel thus cost me about 70000 yen.

EDIT: Oops! On closer inspection, i definitely did not remember correctly. The bidwar fee is 2 dollars for every 1000 yen that the internal SMJ bidding goes above the ending price of the auction. It is not actually a set percentage, though when i first encountered a bidwar fee, the exchange rate was such that 1 dollar equalled 100 yen almost exactly, which i guess got me in the habit of using 20% as a mental shortcut.
sensei wrote:Congratulations on getting the second of the CCS Ep. 49 "unique battle costume" set! If #3 shows up, it certainly will be an auction worth watching (just to munch popcorn, of course...)
Thanks, sensei! After i got the first cel from this particular scene, i thought there was no way i'd be lucky enough to encounter either of the other two, so i didn't entertain any real hope of re-uniting the set. With two of the three cels now in my possession though, i can't help but be just a tiny bit excited and hopeful, even though the chances are still extremely slim at best.
sensei wrote: Oniisama-E seems to be a series with an interesting artistic look, much more genga-like than anime-like. The harmony cels are especially "super-flat" in a style that resembles book illustrations rather than moving animation. That's one that I'll have to keep on my radar (not at auction time...).
The character designs of Oniisama E are definitely not something you see a whole lot of in anime, which is one of the things i find particularly interesting about it. The look is very similar to that of 70's shoujo manga and anime. The closest anime comparisons would probably be Rose of Versailles and Ace wo Nerae!, which i think shared many of the same staff, most notably Osamu Dezaki. Oniisama E (AKA Dear Brother or Brother, dear Brother) is a series i would very strongly recommend if you're in the mood for an entertaining drama, though a high tolerance for occasional completely over-the-top melodramatic scenes may be required.
Last edited by Macron one on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I love your updated items, Macron! :cheers
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Now that RS is back up & running, I am finally able to check out your latest additions (which I have been hanging nearly all week to see)!

The CCS, Moonphase & Oniisama-E items are all definitely noteworthy & I am sure will be visited many times over by fellow collectors & general browsers alike.

But for me, the pick/s of your latest batch would have to be the FMP gengas! I am glad you have been able to acquire some of the better gengas that this Seller has released-out over the past couple of weeks.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Thanks, ReiTheJelly and Quacker!
Quacker wrote:But for me, the pick/s of your latest batch would have to be the FMP gengas! I am glad you have been able to acquire some of the better gengas that this Seller has released-out over the past couple of weeks.
Ýeah, i'm pretty pleased to have been fortunate enough to have come across these by pure luck, as i was actually originally eyeing a few Kannazuki no Miko genga sets that were being auctioned by same seller. Full Metal Panic is a series from which i've long wanted to pick up a few nice sketches, but which i never had any luck with prior to getting these. Whenever i would look for some, there either never seemed to be anything available or the sketches i would find were mediocre or too expensive for my taste. I recall once bidding on a set about two years ago, and then being outbid on it almost immediately. I count myself lucky that the YJ seller that's currently putting up FMP sketches on a weekly basis is listing so many at once that the competition gets spread out enough to ensure that many sets end up going for an affordable price. Still, the very best of these FMP genga sets have eluded me, as there are several other collectors willing to bid considerably more for them. Speaking of which, would you happen to be the rinkya bidder who picked up that really nice Kaname salute set and the impressive Kaname/Sousuke splitscreen sketches?
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Speaking of which, would you happen to be the rinkya bidder who picked up that really nice Kaname salute set and the impressive Kaname/Sousuke splitscreen sketches?
Aye! That was me picking up both of those Genga sets.

I had been waiting eagerly for the auction with the "Kaname salute" to pop up.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

This one is very impressive, nice catch
http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=352567
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Finally had time to add my recent cel and sketch purchases to my gallery today. Unfortunately no CCS additions this time, but certainly some nice things from other series. The Full Metal Panic section sees the largest number of additions this time, thanks to the recent flood of FMP sketches on Yahoo Japan. From Mandarake, i picked up a small set of handdrawn rough settei from the Shiki anime, which is an anime i recently watched, having become curious about the series after seeing some of the sketches from it that Yupa owns. Other additions include 4 hanken cels, three of which were used for cover/poster art in AIC comic LOVE magazine (the one from Battle Athletes was recently purchased from Nick). The fourth hanken is a bit of a mystery, as i don't know exactly where it's from (The seller's description mentioned something about a doujin anthology cover).
sensei

Post by sensei »

This Pretty Sammy hanken is really spectacular. Yes, some fan service, but I find the most impressive part is the way that Sasami's hair is made dynamic, almost as if it's turned into some kind of bat wings that are carrying her off into the air. Great find!

Interesting Strike Witches roughs, expressive in spite of their early stages. I like this pinky-swear scene.

Wait! That's from Yamibou! No, it's not. Pretty whatever its context.

Fascinating, far-ranging update, as usual. Proves that all the good animation art isn't dried up yet.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Another Awesome update Macron!

It goes without saying; of course I enjoyed the latest additions to your Full Metal Panic collection the most. Pleased to see you were able to attain Douga/gengas representing some of the more funnier & memorable moments from each series - a fully camouflaged Sousuke hiding from a girl who has a crush on him, Kaname & Tessa signing together and Bonta-Kun!!!

The Strike Witch rough layouts/gengas are quite fascinating; being able to view the very beginnings of each of those scenes, seeing how the studio planned, developed & created each scene.

And Wow those Shiki settei! Happy to see another collector for this fantastic slow-burning horror/thriller series.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Macron one wrote:The bidwar fee is 2 dollars for every 1000 yen that the internal SMJ bidding goes above the ending price of the auction. It is not actually a set percentage, though when i first encountered a bidwar fee, the exchange rate was such that 1 dollar equalled 100 yen almost exactly, which i guess got me in the habit of using 20% as a mental shortcut.
I do remember something about 2 dolllar per 1000yen difference. but I didn't knew it was the difference between final maximum bid and final winning price...that totally explains the extra fee there.

and awesome update as usual. many more cool looking FMP sketches and other hankens. and my favor item is...the unknown hanken cel :D
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

That Pretty Sammy hanken is amazing! I don't really know much about this series, but I like the way the hanken looks threedimensional because of the pointing 'staff', right foot and hair. Very dynamic pose.

Yay for more Strike Witches roughs! It just happens that I watched the new movie yesterday, I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. I love to see roughs just as much as genga and douga, and it sure is interesting to see how they used helplines to form the perspective of that cut. Many of the sketches are already detailed enough, like this one.

Full Metal Panic... where to start? You have so many interesting cuts from both the original series and Fumoffu, it's hard to pick my favorites!
I really like the older Kaname. The old trick to leave out Sousuke's eyes to show his embarrassment is effective. Kaname looks a bit like Chihaya from last years Chihayafuru!
Also the one where Sousuke is carrying Kaname is fun to look at. I like Sousuke's determination and Kaname's surprise in their eyes.
Finally I love this panshot where you even have the matching background!

Wow, you have a very good sketch of Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates! Certainly one of my favorite shows of this year. Unfortunately I didn't win any of the five sketch sets that showed up on Mandarake so far, but I'm very happy to see you got one (yeah I checked on Mandarake. :P). Could you please upload the other 18 sketches from that set? *puppy eyes* /eyes: I'd love to see them!

Of course I can't end without mentioning your Shiki original settei. I'm happy to hear you also got interested in this show. Many people are put off by the character designs, but I really like them. Although the show has a large cast, you're never confused between any of the characters.
Great sketches of Natsuno and the Kirishiki's. I also like the creepy look of Masao. And wow, I don't remember this dude, but he looks an awful lot like a certain character from the movie Saw (haven't seen that movie, so I might be wrong).
Looking at how many of those sets Mandarake is releasing over the last couple months, I really suspect them having a full settei set and cutting them up in smaller sets of 10 sheets. Well you can't blame them, they sell very well, especially the latest one. There already is a new set up.

Thanks for sharing with us!
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone! :D
sensei wrote:This Pretty Sammy hanken is really spectacular. Yes, some fan service, but I find the most impressive part is the way that Sasami's hair is made dynamic, almost as if it's turned into some kind of bat wings that are carrying her off into the air. Great find!
Yupa wrote:That Pretty Sammy hanken is amazing! I don't really know much about this series, but I like the way the hanken looks threedimensional because of the pointing 'staff', right foot and hair. Very dynamic pose.
Sasami's pose and the detail in the cel was indeed what most attracted me to that cel. That and i didn't really have a good shot of the character in full Mahou Shoujo splendour prior to this. The same YJ seller that had these two Pretty Sammy hanken was also selling two Tenchi Muyo hanken cels at the same time, which i'm now seriously regretting not placing a bid on, as they were likewise very impressive and went for only about half of what i paid for the Pretty Sammy ones.
sensei wrote:Wait! That's from Yamibou! No, it's not. Pretty whatever its context.
Yamibou and Touka Gettan are a bit like sister series, both being based on games by the Orbit/Root studio and having character designs by Carnelian.
Episode 14 of Touka Gettan sees Lilith, Hatsuki, Hatsumi and Ken-Chan making an extended cameo appearance in the distant past of the Touka Gettan world, when Nene and Kaya were still small children (they have an extremely long lifespan).
Each series has a somewhat weird and confusing way of telling its story, which i actually find rather charming, despite it being quite difficult to follow at times. Both series also have an unusual, quirky sense of comedy, which is another aspect of them i find really appealing. Overall, Touka Gettan is easily the better series, and also is my favourite of the two. Despite the story being told in reverse order,it has a better sense of a cohesive story througout. It also uses the romance aspect more effectively than Yamibou, Yamibou's ending in particular being less than satisfying. It's a great pity that Touka Gettan seems to have been almost totally forgotten about in the 5 years since its airing (no doubt partially due to the reverse order storytelling and the quasi-incest scene in ep.3). Yamibou at least is somewhat better known, thanks to it being one of the few yuri-themed anime series.
Yupa wrote:Wow, you have a very good sketch of Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates! Certainly one of my favorite shows of this year. Unfortunately I didn't win any of the five sketch sets that showed up on Mandarake so far, but I'm very happy to see you got one (yeah I checked on Mandarake. ). Could you please upload the other 18 sketches from that set? *puppy eyes* I'd love to see them!
I only have that one sketch, actually. I purchased it from Animechaos (Nick), who obtained 4 of the Bodacious Space Pirates sets from Mandarake. He has pictures of them here. If you're interested in any of those, you could make an him an offer on a few or wait until he puts them on E-bay.
Yupa wrote:Of course I can't end without mentioning your Shiki original settei. I'm happy to hear you also got interested in this show. Many people are put off by the character designs, but I really like them. Although the show has a large cast, you're never confused between any of the characters.
Great sketches of Natsuno and the Kirishiki's. I also like the creepy look of Masao. And wow, I don't remember this dude, but he looks an awful lot like a certain character from the movie Saw (haven't seen that movie, so I might be wrong).
Looking at how many of those sets Mandarake is releasing over the last couple months, I really suspect them having a full settei set and cutting them up in smaller sets of 10 sheets. Well you can't blame them, they sell very well, especially the latest one. There already is a new set up.
Shiki is certainly one of only a very few series i've seen that was able to effectively make use of a truly large cast of characters. There must be 60 or more named characters, which is quite impressive. The Shiki settei set i acquired is not the only one i've bid on, but was the only one that i was able to get for an amount i was prepared to bid (14000 yen or less). As you said, they often go for quite a bit of money, so i'll have to wait and see if i'm able to get any other sets.
Last edited by Macron one on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

double-post X|