Kamisama - God

Re: Small addition to my gallery.

Post by Yupa »

Thanks for the link! /no1
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Time for a gallery update! There's additions from a variety of series this time, including CCS, Marimite, Precure, Bodacious Space Pirates and several others. There's also a new section for original sketches by doujin circles. Most of the items in said section are somewhat non-worksafe. My favourite additions this time are 3 Cardcaptor Sakura rough hanken genga purchased from the Winter and Spring 2013 BWAs.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Lovely update. This is my favorite: http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=365427
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

A very wide-ranging update! Of course I gravitated directly to the CCS hanken sketches, which are lovely, but found myself looking around the variety of CGI sketchwork you've added. Your gallery would make a good resource for people wondering which recent shows are still using old-fashioned pencil-on-paper sketching.

I'd heard a lot about Bodacious Space Pirates, as a bunch of people who did animation direction for shows I collect later gravitated to this project. The art does seem attractive, fine-lined and strong on personalities. This set (featured image and thumbnails) made a good case for its quirky character development.

Precure is another franchise that I'm aware of but hadn't seen art from. Congratulations on nabbing some original settei sketches. They really show a very precise and careful touch, even if they are marked "rough." The second one is especially nice. Character designer for Heartcatch Precure was Yoshihiko Umakoshi, also chief animation director for Mushishi and a bunch of other high-profile series, so these are likely this artist's work. But whoever did these sketches, the way the pages are covered with notes shows that he or she wanted these characters (guests in ep. 16 I assume) to be exactly right.

Thanks for sharing!
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

ReiTheJelly wrote:Lovely update. This is my favorite: http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=365427
Thanks! That sketch is also my favourite of the new additions. It's a really eye-catching, colorful piece. I was quite surprised to have won it at the auction's starting price of 15000 yen, as i was expecting the price to go much higher. There was another, even better rough hanken genga in that same BWA (of Sakura and Tomoyo) that i was also targetting, but i did not have any luck with that one. I went as high as 125000 yen, which is one of the highest bids i've ever placed, but that still proved to be insufficient. Having acquired the very nice Sakura and Kero rough hanken sketch fortunately meant that i at least did not leave the Winter BWA empty-handed.
sensei wrote:Precure is another franchise that I'm aware of but hadn't seen art from. Congratulations on nabbing some original settei sketches. They really show a very precise and careful touch, even if they are marked "rough." The second one is especially nice. Character designer for Heartcatch Precure was Yoshihiko Umakoshi, also chief animation director for Mushishi and a bunch of other high-profile series, so these are likely this artist's work. But whoever did these sketches, the way the pages are covered with notes shows that he or she wanted these characters (guests in ep. 16 I assume) to be exactly right.
Thanks, sensei! That section contains sketches from both Futari wa Precure and Heartcatch Precure, though. The settei sheets are from ep.16 of the first Precure series, while the other four sketches are from Heartcatch Precure (series 7). I actually purchased the Heartcatch rough genga about 2 years ago, but had initially not added them to my gallery because they are kinda rough and not very attractive looking. With my recent purchase of the small Futari wa Precure settei set, i figured it was worthwhile to make a section for Precure in general, and include both sets of sketches.
sensei wrote:A very wide-ranging update! Of course I gravitated directly to the CCS hanken sketches, which are lovely, but found myself looking around the variety of CGI sketchwork you've added. Your gallery would make a good resource for people wondering which recent shows are still using old-fashioned pencil-on-paper sketching.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, i think. While i do have a fair number of sketches from series of the past decade, my collection contains very little that's less than 4 years old. There's regrettably simply not much available from series of recent years. I'm not convinced that there's a particularly notable drop in the number of anime series produced using paper and pencil, though. The impression i get is that the vast majority of anime series continues to be drawn on paper and then scanned into a computer, but that very little of the production art reaches the collector's market anymore. Various behind-the-scenes and making-of videos set in animation studios clearly show tradional sketches on paper being used, but the stuff just doesn't seem to be sold anymore. For example, this video shows sketches being drawn for the opening animation of the Tamako Market series from the recent Winter 2013 season, and here's a behind-the-scenes video showing animators working on sketches for the recent Anime Mirai short Little Witch Academia (video at the bottom of the page): http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/ ... /arch.html
I'd be extremely surprised if anything from either of those productions ends up in the hands of collectors, sadly.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Macron one wrote:The settei sheets are from ep.16 of the first Precure series
OK, then possibly Akira Inagami? I see he handled just about all the character design for the early stages of the Precure franchise. Still very, very interesting and unusual to see on the market.
Macron one wrote:
sensei wrote: Your gallery would make a good resource for people wondering which recent shows are still using old-fashioned pencil-on-paper sketching.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, i think. While i do have a fair number of sketches from series of the past decade, my collection contains very little that's less than 4 years old. There's regrettably simply not much available from series of recent years.
True. "Recent" (for sensei) = post 2000. [insert "wheelchair" emoticon]. Yes, it's a shame, and even in the past decade the releases of material have been sporadic and short-lived. I'm glad I nabbed as much "Powerpuff Girl Z" material when it was, very briefly, pretty easy to find on the market, as the supply has since then totally shut down. For other titles, one just has to take a deep breath and go for it when it's available.

Still, you have several HTG titles in your gallery, and so (interpreting "recent" liberally) I still think your place is a good one for newbies to browse through just to see what is theoretically available. (Keeping in mind always that Macron one is a :badass determined and canny person to bid against :hurt: when such material does come up FA.)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

out of all the rubberslug gallery updates, yours and Quacker's are my two favors because both of you seem to share similar title interests as I(in the good way I promise) as well as for the fact that both of you have lots of post cel era artworks, and your gallery especially is very diversified and with quality which makes it a great treat to visit. now hopefully someday I can make my gallery as awesome as you guys :)

I really like your gundam seed print and sketch from the doujin circle section this time :D
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Gosh but you have been busy scanning!! What a wide variety of new art! Great job! While we
have a really different collecting style we still share the love of anime art, which regardless,
I could look at all day [sometimes I spend more time doing so than I care to admit..... X| ]
I like the pleasant to the eye CCS hankens, but I really enjoyed the Belldandy's bird cels, they're
so sweet. Thanks for sharing!
:cheers
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Echoing both Teggacat's & Sensei's sentiments - such a wide-ranging update, encompassing many Anime series', familiar & un-familiar. On top of the sheer variety of artwork added, I must also comment upon the high quality of the pieces you were able to hunt down & acquire Mac-1; some of which are simply stunning!
Thus far, I have spent about an hour each night since the update checking-out & exploring through all your new additions. Besides the 'Bodacious Space Pirates' sets which have already been commented on, my favourite amongst all of your latest updates is this:

http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=365347

What a piece to kick-start your new 'Macross' section. I too have started to look for early pieces of the Macross Universe, especially those from the 'Do you remember love?' movie.
Macron one wrote:There's regrettably simply not much available from series of recent years. I'm not convinced that there's a particularly notable drop in the number of anime series produced using paper and pencil, though. The impression i get is that the vast majority of anime series continues to be drawn on paper and then scanned into a computer, but that very little of the production art reaches the collector's market anymore. Various behind-the-scenes and making-of videos set in animation studios clearly show tradional sketches on paper being used, but the stuff just doesn't seem to be sold anymore. For example, this video shows sketches being drawn for the opening animation of the Tamako Market series from the recent Winter 2013 season, and here's a behind-the-scenes video showing animators working on sketches for the recent Anime Mirai short Little Witch Academia (video at the bottom of the page): http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/ ... /arch.html
I'd be extremely surprised if anything from either of those productions ends up in the hands of collectors, sadly.
From my understanding, a majority of Producers and the individual Studios themselves have come to release that there is indeed a highly competitive market for the 'materials' used in their animation productions.
With most Studio budgets being constrained and the margin to return a profit extremely tight (one single blow-out or unexpected cost could swing a studio's Balance Sheet into negative territory) the more cannier studios will endeavour to make money & create an income flow whenever they can; anything to help achieve a profit & maintain their bottom line. Studio executives are realising that used materials are worth Zero Yen being thrown into a bin.
Some have already discovered & endorse the selling of 'Production materials' (aka settei, dougas, gengas etc) that are no longer required.
Due to the legalities & questions over the rights of actual ownership; who exactly owns what, especially when the anime in question is based on existing material - sales are kept decidingly low-key.
Although, in some instances one of my Trading partners who is currently based in Tokyo, has heard word of Studios/Production Houses arranging invite-only auctions. She heard from clients, that on two previous occasions, an auction was held at a five-star hotel where the main invitees were up-market collectors & store representatives.
It opens a lot to speculation; my Business partner is very much a straight-shooter, I have no doubts on what she heard & reported - but how much of what was relayed to her is truth or Chinese-Whisper is the question. Regardless, materials are being filtered off to 'somewhere' and I personally doubt they would be thrown in the bin; the artists involved would not appreciate seeing their hard-work & efforts being simply discarded.
theultimatebrucelee wrote:out of all the rubberslug gallery updates, yours and Quacker's are my two favors because both of you seem to share similar title interests as I(in the good way I promise) as well as for the fact that both of you have lots of post cel era artworks, and your gallery especially is very diversified and with quality which makes it a great treat to visit. now hopefully someday I can make my gallery as awesome as you guys :)
Gosh mate, I was not expecting that; thank-you for your positive comments & thoughts. Stick unrelentingly with "The Plan" we were discussing over PMs and within 2/3years, I am positive you will be giving Mac-1 & myself Bid-war worries on certain items.
Speaking of updates, I am currently researching & gathering information for my own update, in which I aim to post up by the end of this month.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Added a few things to my gallery today. Most of these i've had for a few months now, but had previously been unsuccesfull in adding to my rubberslug gallery, as i was unable to upload images at the time. My cel/sketch collecting has slowed down considerably, so there aren't very many additions to my gallery this time (though they are from a nice variety of series, i think). My favourites are the Sailor Moon hanken and the CCS cel from movie 2, but i also quite like the Manabi Straight roughs and the Spice and Wolf cut.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Don't underestimate that stunner set from the opening ep. of Rozen Maiden, with the astonishing rough (first thumb) that is (I'm sure) by AD Kumi Ishii. That's one you want to get up on your screen and look at forever. Hoo baby!
Robes loosely flowing, hair as free:
Such sweet neglect more taketh me
Than all the adulteries of art.
The Holo set (also an unforgettable first appearance) is also well worth having, though I like the head shot end-key douga (second thumb) better than the rather inexplicit nudie lead-up images.

Kudos for getting one of the Movie 2 final scene Sakura cels. I know they are very much desired by collectors. (A matched Sakura/Syaoran set from this scene was at one point on my "top ten high prices" list for CCS lots FA.

I'd eventually like to see more of the Rune Soldier storyboard. What you show seems visually intriguing. (Sea monsters? What's not to like?)

Congrats on another interesting and far-ranging update!
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Another great update M-One, very enjoyable searching through all of your newly added items.

From this current batch, my favourites include these two from the original "Fate/Stay Night" series:-

http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=371410

http://macroncels.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=371416

The "Rozen Maiden" & "Spice & Wolf" sets are also quite stunning, depicting each of the main characters at the initial moments that we, the audience is introduced to them, seeing them for the first time.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Major congrats on the second movie CCS cel from the jump! Those always have so much competition; it's an adorable sequence :)
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

KuroiTsubasa4 wrote:Major congrats on the second movie CCS cel from the jump! Those always have so much competition; it's an adorable sequence :)
This one didn't have any real competition ,fortunately. I managed to get it for only 300 yen over its starting price. To be honest, this cel was actually a spur-of-the-moment impulse buy. I was keeping an eye on several other CCS items during the BWA (which i for the most part didn't have any luck with), but didn't initially pay much attention to the movie 2 cel, as the previous ones i had seen auctioned went for considerably more than i would have been willing to bid. When i noticed that the auction was close to ending with only a single bid having been placed, i figured it couldn't hurt to try a modest bid at 36.000 yen, which to my surprise proved to be sufficient to secure victory.
sensei wrote:Kudos for getting one of the Movie 2 final scene Sakura cels. I know they are very much desired by collectors. (A matched Sakura/Syaoran set from this scene was at one point on my "top ten high prices" list for CCS lots FA.
While the cel wasn't an especially huge wishlist piece for me (i personally prefer the Sakura/Tomoyo friendship over the Sakura/Syaoran romance), it is indeed a great one to own, especially since it nicely compliments my cel from the leaping sequence. If i'm ever lucky enough to acquire a matching Syaoran cel for a similarly good price (not likely), i may consider framing them together in a custom frame with the Sakura and Syaoran cels on either side of the leaping cel, as that would probably make an attractive display piece.
quacker wrote:The "Rozen Maiden" & "Spice & Wolf" sets are also quite stunning, depicting each of the main characters at the initial moments that we, the audience is introduced to them, seeing them for the first time.
Having a piece from the scene where a character is introduced is indeed really fun. In the case of these two sets, they are obviously not from the very first cut in which the characters appear (the closest thing i have to that is probably still the Mizuki-sensei introduction layout from CCS, although even in that case i believe there were prior glimpses of that character in Sakura's Tokyo Tower dreams), though they are from the introductory scene, which is close enough for me :)
sensei wrote:Don't underestimate that stunner set from the opening ep. of Rozen Maiden, with the astonishing rough (first thumb) that is (I'm sure) by AD Kumi Ishii. That's one you want to get up on your screen and look at forever. Hoo baby!
Your knowledge of animation staff and their drawing styles never fails to impress me, sensei! I'm terrible at learning stuff like that. Even with my favourite series, both live-action and anime, i consider myself lucky if i remember what studio produced it. X|
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Added 5 items to my gallery from the yuri themed series Sakura Trick . Also managed to find a sketch that matches one of the sillier Cardcaptor Sakura cels in my collection .

A rather small update to the gallery this time, as i'm not really going out of my way to browse for production art or add stuff to my collection anymore recently (though i've found myself acquiring a fair amount of CCS merchandise instead).