Sensei's Upgrade 2010.07: Asatte, Rozen, MKR, CCS

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Sensei's Upgrade 2010.07: Asatte, Rozen, MKR, CCS

Post by sensei »

Sensei’s final upgrade of 2010 is now complete, along with an appropriately autumnal makeover in banner, background, and colors.

The big winner this time around is the [URL=http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/ma ... 918&Page=1]Asatte no HÅ
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I love that Umi cel. :love: :love: I was the underbidder for that auction, so I'm very happy to see it in your collection. :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I love that Umi cel. :love: :love: I was the underbidder for that auction, so I'm very happy to see it in your collection. :)
Thanks, Brenda. It's interesting that we agreed within 500 yen of what it was worth. :evilblk I'm certainly not having buyer's remorse for being on the "and two bits" side. Its previous owner really took care of it, and it'll be carefully curated here too. (Once a year it will get to go to Wild Water Kingdom and go down the water slide as many times as it wants.)

Do you know where it comes in? I looked at some likely spots in Season 1 and didn't find it.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

sensei wrote: Do you know where it comes in? I looked at some likely spots in Season 1 and didn't find it.
Sadly, the majority of my anime collection is in storage, so I don't have access to my DVDs. It is a spectacular cel, though! :love: :love:
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by toonybabe »

Those CCS set-ups are really cool.
sensei

Post by sensei »

toonybabe wrote:Those CCS set-ups are really cool.
They are huge as well. I suspect that one reason they went relatively cheaply is that collectors find items this big too bulky to store, and sellers find them inconvenient to put up for sale. The bg that came with Kero-chan and Sakura was sadly battered on both ends, and the Tomoyo/Sakura cel was both dinged and torn (not on the painted areas, happily).

But once one has taken the plunge and gotten even one monster set-up (like the even more gargantuan Tree of Palme set-ups I adopted), then what's one more in the super-sized Itoya or the even grander archival box?
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

Love to see Rozen Maiden material popping in your superb collection.
Would have never guess Shinku - "when I first view the show for the first time" -
seeing that emotional break down from the injury from her, not like opening door or going to have cup of tea in the fancy bathroom/toilet.

As well to the other shows, you pick up some great piece's of art work.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks, MM. Rozen Maiden makes all kinds of sense when read along with Zielenziger's book Shutting out the Sun. He argues that the hikikomori teens are obviously mentally ill. Nevertheless, their problem is made worse because the society they live in is also psychologically unhealthy in several important ways. So both sides are behaving compulsively and (like Jun and Shinko) are a mix of strengths and cautiously concealed weaknesses.

The way the series explores these is really very clever. That's an anime series I'd love to teach if I ever had the chance.

Unfortunately, I'm now getting so many of the scenes that I really wanted that it's hard to avoid major spoilers in the gallery. Gomenasai! Happily, the series bears rewatching.
choka162
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by choka162 »

love love love^_^
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

8) Nice Sensei, I really liked the MKR cels particually the Umi cel. I learned how to appreciate dynamic cels from my VHDB Leila cel. :D
sensei

Post by sensei »

choka162 wrote:love love love^_^
Thank you, choka. I'm trying to be more discriminating and go for items that I really want. Or else that will teach me something worth knowing.
Captain Haddock wrote:I really liked the MKR cels particually the Umi cel. I learned how to appreciate dynamic cels from my VHDB Leila cel.
I remember the first time that I saw a really strong MKR collection in person: it was when Snakeskii and I met at a coffee shop in Binghamton, with her brother standing guard all the time in case I turned out to be an Internet sleazeball. It was amazing how, in cel after cel, there was that same illusion that part of the image was really on a different visual plane from the rest of the image. Not quite 3D but definitely also not "flat" animation either. That's when I realized that I needed to get some of these pretties into my collection.

The VHD productions are also good teachers of how really superb animation of this type could be.