Sensei's Upgrade 2011.04 (Dog Days)

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Sensei's Upgrade 2011.04 (Dog Days)

Post by sensei »

In honor of the eleventh anniversary of my very first cel purchase...

... please check out my latest upgrade, newly installed in time for the Dog Days of Summer.

The new items do include a cute dog cel, in this case Tylō from Maeterlinck's Blue Bird, along with ...

The Aoitori-tachi Helpers

CCS fans will be interested to see the 1980 prototypes of several of the Clow Card Spirits, including The Water, The Fire, the Sugar, and The Time (and also The Milk and The Bread). Also from the same series is a cel of

Mytyl holding the Blue Bird

My collection of sketches from the perennial anime series Gegege no Kitarō has nine new additions, some very nice A1 END images. These include an especially nice image of...

Kitarō on Ittan Momen

Also new is a dramatic sketch set of Neko Mesume (the very first catgirl in anime) in the process of ...

... transforming into her yōkai self

Tonde Buurin gets a rare and especially nice upgrade, with two cels from the OP animation, plus a precious cel from

... the Tonde Buurin Eyecatch

And my collection of bank cels from Karin's henshin into the Pig Girl of Love and Courage is richer for a new cel showing

Karin “leaning into” her Tonde Buurin identity

Finally, a small but fearsome sketch set from Rozen Maiden shows ...

Souseiseki attacking with her scissors

This was one of two new acquisitions that got me reflecting on my personal taste in choosing what to collect in anime art. In the end, I was able to field enough images (cels and sketches both) of bloodthirsty females that I could host ...

... my latest “Quirky Tour”, which allows you to explore the recesses of Sensei’s demented personality.

Enjoy! And stay cool!
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Re: Sensei's Upgrade 2011.04 (Dog Days)

Post by teggacat »

Oh Sensei :crazy "running with scissors" :rollin
you're such a blast!!!!
and lotsa super updates as well! [I'm such a sucker for any cel with a dog-or any animal-in it!!]
the little girl in red is sweet too...just too many goodies to mention...
thanks for the smiles!! Stay Cool 8)
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Thoroughly enjoyed the new quirky gallery tour!! I love seeing all those deadly (and cute / beautiful / strong) female characters gathered in one place.

I thoroughly enjoyed your new additions, too. The Bluebird cels are stunning. They are simple ... but also complex, which probably doesn't make a lot of sense. But that's the first thing that struck me about them when I was browsing that section and reading your comments. It's not a style of animation I would normally enjoy watching, but I love visiting the artwork you've gathered from that show. Every piece is an emotional and lovely piece of art worthy of standing on its own. I particularly enjoyed the up-close view you provided of The Water and The Milk. The Water's expression seems especially engaging because of the way her trace lines were done. Really lovely and a treat to get a little peek into a detail that, otherwise, I might not have noticed.

Your Rozen Maiden additions, as always, are stunning. I can't say enough good things about the art you've gathered from this show. It's all so detailed and beautifully expressive. And the motion in those sketches ... just wow!! Jaw-dropping.

Tonde Buurin seems like such a fun and zany show. I love how the artwork reflects that. Your new "statue of liberty pig" eyecatch, naturally, was a favorite. But I also found myself loving the opening cel of the whole cast in Ancient Egypt. And all the "WTF" additions. Those are so great, and really give a feeling for the sense of humor behind this show. Your new henshin -- the up-close shot of Karin with the pig snout -- is surprisingly beautiful. From a show that gives you flying pigs and many hilarious "WTF"-type moments, such a pretty shot might be a bit unexpected. But it works so very well -- and shows the peace and inner beauty of this character.

But ... I think my favorites of the whole update were your Gegege no Kitaro additions. You know how much I love seeing artwork from this show. The sketches are so lively and detailed. I am not familiar with the show, other than what I have read about it through your gallery, but these sections remain favorites of mine. I tend to visit them every time I stop into your collection.

Congrats on your new additions. And congrats on your 11 year anniversary, too!
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Very nice additions, Sensei. I particularly like that great Tonde Buurin eyecatch!
It's also nice to see you acquiring production art from various older anime titles. Your detailed presentation of these pieces is quite fascinating as always.
sensei

Post by sensei »

teggacat wrote:[I'm such a sucker for any cel with a dog-or any animal-in it!!]
If truth be told, I was so taken by the cat (Tylette) in the first BB cel I saw that I absolutely had to get to know that series better. Though in truth I've rarely seen a more authentically doggy dog than Tylō.[/quote]
the little girl in red is sweet too
Every collection needs to start with a single cel and a specific auction. I would never have thought, when I lodged that bid on July 15, 2000, where it all would end.
tex-chan wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed your new additions, too.
Thanks, tex. It is nice beyond words to be able to know that someone (namely you) will be certain to lurk through all the new corridors and poke all the new buttons to see what will happen.
The Bluebird cels are stunning. They are simple ... but also complex
That's an interesting comment. It really is an interesting series, as the couple episodes I've screened in streaming video (the Italian dub) show. While there is a classic storybook feel to the character design, there also is ... something else. One could readily believe that the AD was just itching to create Fist of the North Star as soon as he could convince Mytyl to let that poor unconsolable Bird of Happiness fly away free.
Your new henshin -- the up-close shot of Karin with the pig snout -- is surprisingly beautiful.
Also a surprising touch. Karin hates the fact that she has to transform into Pig Girl ... and then her crush falls deeply in love with Pig Girl rather than with her "normal" self. Yes, what I've seen of Tonde Buurin is zany: while Nippon Studio is unrelenting about taking down English dubbed or subbed versions on YouTube, if you're quick you can catch the Spanish dub that evidently is taking Latin America by storm. But the cels show that there's a big dab of psychological realism too, just as in Tennimon (same team of creators).
I think my favorites of the whole update were your Gegege no Kitaro additions. You know how much I love seeing artwork from this show.

Actually, I didn't know (silly me). Kitaro is iconically famous in Japan but very much an acquired taste everywhere else. Shigure Mizuki, the mangaka who created the character and whose popular folklore surveys inspire many of the episodes, is fully as famous there as Osamu Tezuka and Hayao Miyazaki. There are Mizuki museums and sculpture gardens of Kitaro and his companions. But since his works are based on legends that are found only in Japan, his appeal doesn't translate well, and so his work is almost unknown over here. I found out about him by reading a great academic folklore work, Pandemonium and Parade, by Michael Foster, which surveys Japanese interest in yokai ("monsters," but much, much more than that) from handwritten scrolls to manga/anime. I'm delighted that Mizuki has made yet another Western convert.
Macron one wrote:I particularly like that great Tonde Buurin eyecatch!
There can't be many of these out there, and when Vapalla was so over-the-top happy to get her eyecatch (that was when we were bidding on stuff as a consortium), I made a note to watch for one to reserve for myself. It took nearly 5 years, though. But it's nice to nab.
It's also nice to see you acquiring production art from various older anime titles. Your detailed presentation of these pieces is quite fascinating as always.
Thank you! As really primo stuff from the 90s dries up, it's nice to know that there is much more to know and collect than just that. And the "Masterpiece Theatre" phase of anime (the grammar school in which Miyazaki and his contemporaries learned their craft) really deserves to be known more thoroughly. I'd hope that, as the world gets smaller and technology gets more sophisticated, that we can get fuller access to these virtually unknown series before much longer.

Thanks all for visiting! You are cool! So stay cool!
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

always love to see your stuff Sensei! :cheers
Hope you are doing well these days and loving retirement! :D