how long do you wait to post new cels after purchase?

Show off your stuff!
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

how long do you wait to post new cels after purchase?

Post by ginga123 »

i know this is a dangerous question! :badass lol

any thoughts? for me, i think it depends on the series and the length of time since the purchase. it make take 6 mos to a year at least for cels. cg sketches i tend to post more quickly.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: how long do you wait to post new cels after purchase?

Post by 90sKid »

I generally like to do it once I rip open the package and finish getting them scanned. =) Though I do wait on certain cels if I know that future purchases can build up to a theme/series update.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

When I was posting, it would usually take about 6 months to 2 1/2 years before they got posted in the gallery.

I wasn't much into scanning. Sometimes I got sketches early and didn't want to encourage tipping off that sketches from it were available so I held off a little longer. Mainly though the delay was because I was lazy and because I didn't want the auction to still be showing when I posted them. Lol
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I scan everything I buy, but it's more for my own organization and in case I want to show something to a friend once in a while. I do still have an online gallery, but there are only a few things in it, it's not linked anywhere, and it hasn't been updated in a long time. I've always been very reluctant to post my genga/douga online from the beginning, however people who steal scans for reposting in image galleries and/or who use scans to make fancels have all soured me to posting ANY of my collection online anymore. The last gallery I kept updated wasn't the one I have up now. I used to have an invitation-only gallery that was password-protected. It was taken down when someone broke my trust by sharing the password with several people I didn't know.

Honestly, not having a gallery to play with truly has removed a fun part of the collecting experience for me, because I really do like to show my collection and I loved to write descriptions for each and every cel. (Yeah, I was one of those super-verbose people who tell a story with each cel. ^_^) However, it just seems my choices are to not show it and keep it private, or to show it and have it all over the web where I have no control over the use of the images. I don't have the most stellar collection out there, but it's MY collection, and so I stopped posting it online.

I might add that I truly appreciate the people who DO show their collections... and I actually read long, verbose descriptions for cels. ^_^

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

I've been posting them up right away. This is partially because it makes it easier for me to look at them :) I'll be taking my cels home with me to the US soon (summer vacation!) so that they may escape the harsh heat and humidity of Japan, and I want to be able to see them when I return. Also, I like how RS lets me put in seller, date, and price data along with sequence number etc; it helps me stay organized. ^_^ Plus, it's just simpler to scan them in when I'm already opening packaging and replacing cel bags. I don't wanna handle them more than is necessary.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I generally post as soon as I receive/scan any new artwork. This is partly because I'll forget to do it if I don't post immediately, and my gallery needs to remain updated for insurance purposes.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'd say pretty soon after receiving them, though not immediately. I like to put the new items together into a little "event" and do other little maintenance jobs at the same time: change banner, background, featured cels, etc. Sometimes I take a little extra time and renew the "Quirky Tour" gallery.

But scanning the artwork when it arrives is part of my basic curator's job, along with removing tape, changing bags, cutting backing sheets from cardstock, finding screencaps and background info. All of this helps stabilize the art and provide documentation for it in the long haul, and it's easiest (and most engaging) to do it when the thrill of acquisition is fresh. So there's no point in putting off the update for long, even if the numbers of people who stop by for the Grand Unveiling is relatively modest. (I can count on Tex-chan to stop by for an update, but then I think sometimes she's always there, using my free wireless to bid on cels and sleeping on a little cot in the Son Goku nook.)
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Up until about 2 years ago I updated monthly with everything I bought during that time frame. Over the past 2 years I have found less and less I have wanted to buy. I strongly prefer cels, and I am finding it harder to find any I want to add to my collection. Subsequently, my updates have gotten much less frequent.

It has been about 4 months since my last update. Everything is scanned, and the individual pages are complete. I just need to get around to putting together the main update page/section.
Joost

Post by Joost »

With me it has been years since I updated until now :^^:
Most because I pilled up work, did not had the time and needed a new scanner.
Luckely a super friend helped me redo my whole gallery and now its back in shape :cheers
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

If I get something I think looks really cool or interesting I try to take a snapshot before storing away. with most things I get theres no motivation to update since I don't yet have a scanner and it takes lot of time to update especially sketches, maybe someday when I have a worthy collection lol
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

with most things I get theres no motivation to update since I don't yet have a scanner and it takes lot of time to update especially sketches, maybe someday when I have a worthy collection lol
if we had a "like" button, i would click it right now lol
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

Oh man, right after I receive it. A lot of my cels were bought in payment plans, so I'm just itching to scan and put it up ASAP. I even find the screencapping and gif-making process really enjoyable. I do wish I had a better scanner though, I don't trust it enough to take my cels out of their bags.

toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

It depends on how busy or lazy I am. I usually don't take longer than 3 months to post new cels and sketches.
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

I think I last updated in 2007? And I've bought quite a bit since then. X|
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

When I was wet behind the ears, I use to update once a month
or whenever I acquired a sizeable amount of artwork.
I would be so eager to participate in the Animanga 'show me' threads
or the gallery updates here on beta.
These days...er... once every 6-7 months? And just in little bite-sized
chunks because I just don't have the time like I use to.
I also don't feel the motivation to scan during what little free time I
do get since a lot of the people/friends that would check out
the updates or comment have either moved on to other series
or left all together. Soooo... why bother if no one is looking? lol! :crackup
I collect for myself so I feel indifferent about whether or not I scan
for the site; if no one asks, I don't have the time, or I forget, it will most likely
not make it online. I'm trying to get back into it but totally been
unsuccessful so far, mostly so I know what I have so I don't
buy sequence mates by accident (which has happened >_<;;)
Bah!
Joost, lend me your friend for the weekend!
LMAO!
:hitting: :rollin :rollin