The Higurashi Archives

Show off your stuff!
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

The Higurashi Archives

Post by HigurashiArchives »

Hello everyone!

I have been muddling about the internet looking for some good places to share my collection and someone from MFC pointed me here. To state the obvious, I collect Higurashi Douga & Genga. I currently have over 300 sketches from the first three seasons. You can see my collections here:
http://niipah.rubberslug.com
http://niipaharchive.wordpress.com/

Each one has some items that the other doesn't so be sure to check out both of them!
I'm reallly excited to see a lot of different collectors on this site and I look forward to seeing your collections!
Since I'm among Production Artwork experts here, many with rare and very valuable items, I figured I'd put my best foot forward and upload some of my private collection!
I've uploaded two Douga from the Opening of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai to my rubber slug account: http://niipah.rubberslug.com/gallery/ma ... esID=45402
These are some of the rarest/valuable pieces in my collection I hope you enjoy! (However, they are not THE rarest :wink: )
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: The Higurashi Archives

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

HigurashiArchives wrote:I have been muddling about the internet looking for some good places to share my collection and someone from MFC pointed me here.
might it have been me :P I suppose not since I don't know how to send invite but I do remember commenting on one of your photos. its just really rare to see a figure collector that appreciate yandere as much as I do and into cel/sketch collecting as well :D awesome collection btw, must have taken you quite a bit of time to scan all of that.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

theultimatebrucelee wrote:
HigurashiArchives wrote:I have been muddling about the internet looking for some good places to share my collection and someone from MFC pointed me here.
might it have been me :P I suppose not since I don't know how to send invite but I do remember commenting on one of your photos. its just really rare to see a figure collector that appreciate yandere as much as I do and into cel/sketch collecting as well :D awesome collection btw, must have taken you quite a bit of time to scan all of that.
I think that was you! Nice to see ya again! I hate scanning these things! But I want to have a record of my collection in case anything happens.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Ah...thank goodness they don't look like those sketches those guys were drawing and then posting on YJ. **big sigh**

But I haven't even even looked for any artwork in the past 15 months so I don't know what they might be doing now. My guess is...probably not a whole lot.

Nice sketches! Congrats on acquiring them.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Keropi wrote:Ah...thank goodness they don't look like those sketches those guys were drawing and then posting on YJ. **big sigh**

But I haven't even even looked for any artwork in the past 15 months so I don't know what they might be doing now. My guess is...probably not a whole lot.

Nice sketches! Congrats on acquiring them.
Any chance you can point me to more information on this? I've withheld an item because I doubt it's authenticity. I would like to know more about this so I can cross test the questionable piece.
Anyway, thanks! I enjoy my collection!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Welcome to A-B! I can't help you on your collecting quest, but I hope you'll enjoy your time here with us. :cheers
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

HigurashiArchives wrote:Any chance you can point me to more information on this? I've withheld an item because I doubt it's authenticity. I would like to know more about this so I can cross test the questionable piece. Anyway, thanks! I enjoy my collection!
It doesn't look like they are posting anymore on YJ...unless they're going by another name again. But just guessing, I would think they probably are not around anymore and are in another line of business. They're sketch quality went down over time and they are probably in another line of work. But I don't check YJ anymore so I have no idea what the situation is over there.

They've gone by a number of names over the years including "ognam_nekuta", "pa05pnoi", "taro_miso0078" and "kat_boco1969".

Here are the auction photos I've saved from them. When I first started to save auction photos, I wasn't including the YJ seller names with them.

This was the seventh Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-02-25:

The ninth Higurashi auction I ran across from 2007-03-25:

The eleventh Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-04-29:

The thirteenth Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-06-24:

The fourteenth Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-07-03:

They were by studio workers, but they were drawing sketches to sell on YJ. They made a lot of money drawing sketches of anime characters and posting them in the YJ production sketch categories. Most or nearly all of what they sold was not production sketches. Some of their sketches did LOOK like genuine production sketches (esp shows like Ouran). But I just couldn't be sure about some of them so I preferred avoiding them altogether.

They posted sketches from these shows:

Higurashi, Xenoglossia, Nanoha As, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Fate/stay night, Gunslinger Girl, Ichigo Mashimaro, Otome wa Boku, Rozen Maiden, Strawberry Panic, Utawarerumono, Zero no Tsukaima, Baccano, Darker than Black, Denno Coil, Ef, Full Metal Alchemist, Gintama, Gundam Seed Destiny, Kamichu, Last Exile, Marginal Prince, Minamike, Nagasarete, Naruto, Onegai Twins, Ouran, Sayonara Sensei, Shakugan no Shana, Spice and Wolf, Arcade Gamer Fubuki, Bamboo Blade, Black Blood Brothers, Girls Bravo, Hitohira, Inuyasha, Jigoku Shoujo, Jinki Extend, Kaibutsu Oujo, Kannagi, Kemeko, Kujibiki, Kuroshitsuji, Law of Ueki, Macross Frontier, Mariaholic, Maria-sama, Onegai Teacher, Pani Poni Dash, Read or Die, Strike Witches, To Love Ru, Toaru, Toradora, Yakitate, Zegapain, Sola, Skullman

I'm going to delete these photos after a short time because people in Japan read these forums as well.

We've had discussions about this, but they were in the Speakeasy section of the forum.
Last edited by Keropi on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Very nice Higurashi sketches. I've always thought the Higurashi series was groundbreaking in its approach to the multiple repeating story arcs. It's nice to see someone post new anime artwork on RS.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Keropi wrote:
HigurashiArchives wrote:Any chance you can point me to more information on this? I've withheld an item because I doubt it's authenticity. I would like to know more about this so I can cross test the questionable piece. Anyway, thanks! I enjoy my collection!
It doesn't look like they are posting anymore on YJ...unless they're going by another name again. But just guessing, I would think they probably are not around anymore and are in another line of business. They're sketch quality went down over time and they are probably in another line of work. But I don't check YJ anymore so I have no idea what the situation is over there.

They've gone by a number of names over the years including "ognam_nekuta", "pa05pnoi", "taro_miso0078" and "kat_boco1969".

They were by studio workers, but they were drawing sketches to sell on YJ. They made a lot of money drawing sketches of anime characters and posting them in the YJ production sketch categories. Most or nearly all of what they sold was not production sketches. Some of their sketches did LOOK like genuine production sketches (esp shows like Ouran). But I just couldn't be sure about some of them so I preferred avoiding them altogether.

Higurashi, Xenoglossia, Nanoha As, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Fate/stay night, Gunslinger Girl, Ichigo Mashimaro, Otome wa Boku, Rozen Maiden, Strawberry Panic, Utawarerumono, Zero no Tsukaima, Baccano, Darker than Black, Denno Coil, Ef, Full Metal Alchemist, Gintama, Gundam Seed Destiny, Kamichu, Last Exile, Marginal Prince, Minamike, Nagasarete, Naruto, Onegai Twins, Ouran, Sayonara Sensei, Shakugan no Shana, Spice and Wolf, Arcade Gamer Fubuki, Bamboo Blade, Black Blood Brothers, Girls Bravo, Hitohira, Inuyasha, Jigoku Shoujo, Jinki Extend, Kaibutsu Oujo, Kannagi, Kemeko, Kujibiki, Kuroshitsuji, Law of Ueki, Macross Frontier, Mariaholic, Maria-sama, Onegai Teacher, Pani Poni Dash, Read or Die, Strike Witches, To Love Ru, Toaru, Toradora, Yakitate, Zegapain, Sola, Skullman

I'm going to delete these photos after a short time because people in Japan read these forums as well.
Very interesting. In the past I've acquired sketches from Sola and Nanoha A's in the past and also wondered about origins. I'm very sure about the authenticity of my Sola sketches since I know the sourcing of those sketches, but how did you hear about studio workers generating non production sketches? I assume that they used studio copy art and paper.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I heard it from a collector, but even if I hadn't I already thought the sketches they were posting were too suspicious. There were too many odd things about them. Besides those two warning auctions that were posted on YJ warning bidders not to bid on their sketches. That could have been chalked up to someone messing around with them.

They kept posting sketches from popular shows. The shows that sold better would get posted more and in seemingly endless amounts. The sketches that didn't sell for much they would post less or none of. A couple shows showed little interest at all and they stopped posting from those shows right away (unlike other sellers who keep trying to sell off their unpopular stuff for forever or at least for a few months at least). The sketches tended to look similar regardless of the series. The types of sketches would be similar (shoulders up shots). They usually never had numbers on them. When the drawings started looking off, the other sketches from other series did too. When the prices the sketches went down, they would slow down posting of them. When the sketch's prices went down too much they would switch to posting other series. They were also often be the first sellers on YJ to post sketches from popular shows (I suppose that was to get the most amount of money for them). They often had WAY more sketches from popular shows than anyone else. When the Mandarake roughs from the anime would show up on Mandarake their roughs didn't look like them.

Individually these aspects were not telltale things, but because they happened all at the same time it was too suspicious.

I'm sure there are other reasons why they appeared suspicious, but I just can't remember all of them right now. It's good to remember where you bought your stuff especially when you don't know anything at all about a seller. :)
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Keropi wrote:

Here are the auction photos I've saved from them. When I first started to save auction photos, I wasn't including the YJ seller names with them.

This was the seventh Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-02-25:

The ninth Higurashi auction I ran across from 2007-03-25:

The eleventh Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-04-29:

The thirteenth Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-06-24:

The fourteenth Higurashi auction I ran across 2007-07-03:

We've had discussions about this, but they were in the Speakeasy section of the forum.
Thanks for the all that info! It seems like they did not draw douga, which is what I mainly collect. Regardless I'll be on the look-out! Thank you.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

rallihir wrote:Very nice Higurashi sketches. I've always thought the Higurashi series was groundbreaking in its approach to the multiple repeating story arcs. It's nice to see someone post new anime artwork on RS.
I agree, Higurashi brought many new things to anime that hadn't existed. The part that I always liked the best was the overall theme of Friendship and Trust. Yeah I noticed that I'm one of the few people that post artwork from a series that was created after the year 2000 lol.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Gave you a welcome over at RS, but you deserve at least a six-banana welcome here!

Image Image Image Image Image

Welcome to Beta! I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly advice and interest in your gallery. Your commitment to Higurashi makes your gallery an especially useful web resource. Sooner or later a series this well-received will generate a fanbase that will be curious to "peek behind the scenes" to see just how the artists created the images that make up the show.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I guess one thing that bothers me about concerning the legitimacy of the posted sketches is that I don't see any mention of what episode or cut they're from. While I'm sure fans of the series can tell where they're from in a heartbeat, from a collector's point of view, the fact that not just one, but all of the sketches are missing that information is cause for concern. While some layout paper used for rough sketches don't have that information, I have yet to routinely see this information omitted on the finalized versions of the layout. So, to me, the fact that this information is missing would sound off all sorts of warning bells as to why I would not bid on that artwork.

Anyways, welcome to Beta! :)
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

sensei wrote:Gave you a welcome over at RS, but you deserve at least a six-banana welcome here!

Image Image Image Image Image

Welcome to Beta! I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly advice and interest in your gallery. Your commitment to Higurashi makes your gallery an especially useful web resource. Sooner or later a series this well-received will generate a fanbase that will be curious to "peek behind the scenes" to see just how the artists created the images that make up the show.
Thanks very much! It's nice to hear from you again! I'm hoping that Higurashi will continue to generate a fanbase.