(RS) Home Page VS (RS) About Page

Show off your stuff!
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

(RS) Home Page VS (RS) About Page

Post by Matt »

Hi everyone,

With all the positive feedback going back and forth from the Open House, it has inspired me to FINALLY start updating with new items, gallery descriptions, thoughts, stories etc etc. I wanted to start working on the text for my gallery home page and eventually onto the about page. While looking through fellow member's galleries, to get some inspiration, I noticed that some of the home gallery text are fairly descriptive and long while others are very brief. On the longer descriptions it was pretty much what you would expect to see in the about page section and in some cases it was the same. Obviously, there isn't a right or wrong way to create one's gallery. I was wondering why members choose to use the "about Page" style on their front page...I wonder does anyone really look at the about page?

Anyways, just curious.

Thanks,

Matt
Eternal Squall
Kamisama - God

Re: (RS) Home Page VS (RS) About Page

Post by Eternal Squall »

Matt wrote:...I wonder does anyone really look at the about page?

/!!! So weird! /!!! I just looked at your about page when you updated earlier. I was searching to see where/ how you acquired some of your comic sketches. If I spend some time in a gallery, or I have a lot of the same interests as the curator, I will visit the about page, and other links in the grouping, (i.e., links, wishlist.) It is a nice option for those that have the time and will to spruce up and make a complete gallery.

Now as a lazy curator, I can empathize with wanting to put all your info in the gallery intro/ opening. :-P Get the artwork up, and get out of the way! :-P
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Dunno about how others handle this issue, but I use the home page to get people oriented in the gallery and give them several options for beginning their visits (Quick Tour, Quirky Tour, List of Sections, Featured Cel/Sketch, New Arrivals).

The "About" section I use to talk briefly about how I got interested in collecting, my primary interest, and some of the choices I've made in presenting art (backing cels with art paper, giving context, the "Sensei Check" and "Caution: Fussy Notes" tags and what they mean).

It seems to work: the Open House feedback seemed to indicate that visitors used several paths to get to sections, many of them using features built into the home page. The personal info in "About" is there for people who are curious, but it's safely out of the way.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I don't think I've touched anything in those extra pages in years (about, wishlist, etc.). I think I'm one if those lazy browsers who almost forgets those pages are there at all...! :P
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

Hi,

I just wanted to thank Eternal Squall, Rekka & Sensei for posting and giving me some insights on their views of the about page and gallery front page. Thank you, your time is much appreciated!! :cheers

Eternal Squall, if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm, post, I think my RS feedback works too ^_^

Thanks everyone

- Matt