In My Dreams - Update: The Week in Review!!

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: In My Dreams - THE WEEK OF DOOM UPDATE! GO IN IF YOU DAR

Post by sensei »

Congratulations on your Ragnarok Update! They are all interesting and worthy additions, and your new Ep. 66 cel/bg is a wonderful addition. I wonder if your bg hasn't been cut down by the seller. The two set-ups I have from this ep. were both trimmed down, and I had a similar goose-chase with this one before I finally found a spot in the lower left corner of the bg where the trees behind Yuki matched the screen cap.

Fussy, fussy note, but I think the photocopy in the second thumb of this nice addition is a copy of the AD's rough rather than a genga correction. I've gotten these from time to time with bgs, and, as you say, they do match up closer to what appeared on the screencap. But the genga correction would more likely be a partial rather than a complete drawing. (Layout --> rough --> genga --> genga correction --> douga --> cel).

If it's any consolation, I wasn't any of the other bidders! /kis
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Nice update! I remember seeing these auctions and I had a strong hunch you would be bidding on these auctions. So, I'm glad to see my hunch was right and that you managed to get so many of them. I'm also super impressed that you were able to update your gallery so quickly.

...So...which of these are you bringing to Y-Con for Show and Tell? Heh heh :P
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Sensei! LOL Ragnorak I should have thought of that, cause @_@

Thank you the Cel is definitely my favorite of the additions followed closely by the A26Key Lead in to the Scene... I don't think the BG was trimmed in fact I think the BG was used for more than one cut in several places. In fact the placement of the cels on the BG causes me to believe that bg was used on the pan that happens in that scene as well. Also if you look at the layout from a different cut that I put up with it, you can see the original drawing that was used to create the background it actually matches exactly I just didn't scan the whole thing because I was trying to get as close to the screenshot as possible. ^_^ Hence the reason I offered to scan the bg separately for someone if they have a sequence mate that needs it! ^_^

Great tip Sensei! I will keep that in mind I have only been able to pick up 3 Genga sets in all the years I have been collecting CCS, I wish they weren't so hard to get a hold off! That is great! I guess I should put up the other photocopy I got with the Cel set because Abe... ^_^ Also I am glad I wasn't up against you, although from what I understand you are not adding as much CCS as of late... Which :bawl, but thanks ^_^ /kis

Thanks Cutiebunny! ^_^ As you should, I am horrible episode hog ^_^ I don't feel like it was that quickly considering there is still a stack of Loveless, Saiyuki, Sailor Moon, and DBZ to get through... Why do I let things pile up! @_@ Although you are right the package came Friday and I got all the CCS that came in it, up by Sunday's EOD. I really didn't do anything else this weekend except three loads of Laundry, and getting the dog to the groomer, he was looking like a stray he was so shaggy. I am going to try and get some more up to night but I might be galleried out after the weekend. :P

Also CCS and Sailor Moon are very easy for me to get up mostly because of familiarity more than anything else. Don't get me wrong I love all the other shows I collect but in the case of DBZ there are a bajillion million episodes and figuring out where everything is episode wise is not so fun... So most of the time I give up and throw it in unidentified... Saiyuki is hard mostly because I don't own the anime, I actually am not such a fan of it I love the manga more, but some of the sketches are just gorgeous studio pierrot did an excellent but inconsistent job overall. And well Loveless I own the DVDs, but I just started collecting so I don't have the intimate understanding of the episodes that I do with CCS so it takes longer to identify if there is no episode identifiers on the sketch.

I don't know which pieces I am going to bring to Y-Con for show and tell, is there anything in particular you want me to bring? I'm thinking sketches only cause I'm flying over... And I would be afraid to bring the cels on a plane at least I know it takes more to damage paper in transit... /hmm

Jadeduo
:coffee:
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

This is definitely one of the most impressively huge CCS updates I've ever seen! The sketches from episodes 65 and 66 are quite the comprehensive overview of those story lines. Taken together, they really tell a story, and that's awesome. And congratulations on obtaining that wishlist! It is a beauty. :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Kino! I love getting in new wishlist, especially when it comes with goodies like extra sketches, unstuck layers, and original bgs...

^_^
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: In My Dreams-1st Post Accident Update! CCS, SM, Origina

Post by Jadeduo »

*waves at Everyone* Hi!

MMMkay! This is the first post accident update, there is more coming I have been doing it in drips and drabs, but it was very important to me, that I get the Original sketches from Animazement up!

So I went to Animazement this year, for the very first time with Cutiebunny and Ginga123, as well as Itadakimasu!.... He lurks a lot... We did a lot of line waiting, shopping, going to the concert, and eating! One of the bright spots was a group of Animation staff, consisting of a Producer and two younger Key Animators. They were there in support of the younger in betweener start up animators the ones getting maybe 100 yen a page which is not enough to live nor are they able to keep a part time job doing this!

So the more senior members of the industry fund a dorm from their own pockets, so in support of this they put together an indie gogo campaign! Please go check it out, and also check out some of the gorgeous art that these younger key animators sketched for us at the convention!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2015 ... supporters

These two pieces came from the pen of Shingo Tamagawa-san, he is a key animator, and soon to be animation director of Gundam Reconguista in G. Both are of some of the main characters from the show.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386533 Raraiya Akupari

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386532 Noredo Nug

These two pieces came from the pen of Shingo Yamashita, he is the more senior of the two and has worked on Naruto and Birdy the Mighty as a key animator, and an animation director for Naruto.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386531 Unknown Character Day 1

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386530 Unknown Character Dayy 2

And last but not least the addition of the Producer who put the group together to help out their fellow animators, http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386529 Jun Sagawara

Okay now that I have gotten my pushing done!

Onto the colorful stuff! New CCS pieces:

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386361 Kero and Sakura Episode 1
http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=385922 Layout

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386362 Sakura and Tomoyo Episode 11
http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386120 Layout

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386360 Yue Episode 69

Sailor Moon Pieces

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386418 Makoto and Motoki Episode 29

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386419 Makoto and Usagi Episode 29

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386420 Hotaru, Chibiusa, and Ami Episode 115

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=386439 Makoto Pan Cel - Episode 161

There is more in the wings, but this is the bulk of it right now... I have a ton of stuff still to scan, and I was bad and had gone on a huge shopping spree shortly before the accident so there is a lot I still need to do, but in the moment please enjoy the new additions!

Thanks for looking!
Jadeduo
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Awesome update! I think my favorite would be the pan of Makoto (I like the fierce look in her eyes), followed closely by that over-dramatic Kero shot (Sakura's face kills me here, haha).
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Hi Jadeduo!
I also love your Makoto pan! Great update all the way around. The details in the cel descriptions are amazing...so impressed that you can name the animators!

Thanks for posting...I hope we'll get to see more! :cheers
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

@KuroiTsubasa4 - Thanks! I adore her too! I was gobsmacked when she came up for Auction, she is my very favorite character and like I said that is my very favorite outfit of hers! Also the over dramatic Kero is absolutely hilarious, I have been eyeing it for a while but $140 was more than I wanted to pay for it, so I was able to get it down some, and boy am I happy I did!

@Lunacels - I am still gobsmacked by your earlier post in another thread... *takes deep breath* Okies! Thanks so much for checking out my update, I also adore her! There are few resources for Sailor Moon out there that help with identifying what you have as far as the animators are concerned. The larger the collection the easier it is, I wish I'd picked up more sketches back in the day when they were more readily available it would definitely help with identification. You should totes check out anidb.net It is much better than ANN when you are looking up information on the animation staff.

Thanks anyone else who has taken a look!

JD
:jump
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

Jadeduo, that is excellent advice! Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction...I am going to peruse tomorrow to see if I can figure out the directors in my collection. All of you on here have inspired me to put more thought and research into my gallery. You have done such a great job with yours!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

No problem! Best of luck, Luna!

Have fun playing with your gallery, I hope to do a little poking today as well!

JD ^_^
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Hi Jadeduo :) What an exciting update! It's so great to have you back with us.

Not to echo everyone else, but I love the Makoto pan. Her expression is deadly cool. I also love the new Yue from CCS, and that's great you've got the matching background to go with it. Great stuff all around! Can't wait to see more! :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Shambles listlessly into JD's gallery in search of the men's room...

Ah, yes ... I know that CCS Ep. 1 cel of Kero and Sakura: was tempted many times by it in the past but somehow ... Glad to know that it has a good home, now. That was a notorious scene back when Ep. 1 was available only in fansubs (on VHS tape) and the subber famously translated Kero-chan's line, "Hey! Sh1t happens!" [Noooooo, that's not what the Japanese line says, but it's somehow totally appropriate for the moment, when he's explaining that he fell asleep on the cover of the Clow Book and let all the cards escape when Sakura opened it.] In the fanfics that were popular on "Cardcaptors Uncensored," where I used to hang out, Kero-chan had a bad habit of saying this at every possible occasion (and "Julian Moon" aka Yukito too, IIRC.)

The Yue, as others have noted, is a gorgeous set-up, but I have a fondness for the Tomoyo/Sakura set-up that has, as you say, some very funny expressions. (But Sakura does get to use the Green Fairy costume next time, three times IIRC, as The Time resets twice, making Sakura and Syaoran live through the same day three times.)

Good comments on the SM additions. Won't say more about the Matoko pan except that it becomes one of your crown jewels. Keep an eye open for the Usagi layer in the Ep. 115 set=up: it might have been sold separately and still might turn up. I've known such to happen.

And very interesting info on the "Animator Dormitory" fundraiser. I'm tempted to contribute a few yen, not for the goodies but for the justice of the cause. It's worth remembering that the dougas that we fuss over are done by people who make less than a living wage.

Ah ... this looks like the door to the men's room. Disappears inside.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

@KinoLRB, Thanks so much! I am happy to be back among the land of the living, as it were. My poor dog has been freaking out all weekend with the fireworks, so I went home for a bit did an extensive amount of scanning and have been trying to figure out my sketch set problem they seem to have multiplied over the course of a few months and I think I have more coming.

I also have to get all the lovely get well gifts up and posted everyone was more than generous. I did also get something for Sensei as well but getting it packed up and to the post office will be a chore that I have to do on the weekend and with the 4th happening Saturday the PO was closed, maybe next weekend! I also love the Makoto it seems everyone is super excited about it! Ano... I wish I could get my hand on the sketches.... *looks twitchy*

@Sensei, Thanks for stopping by, although I don't know how I feel about being on route to the potty, LOL. I hope you are still getting better! And that you are on the short road to recovery! LOL I did not know that someone had translated the sentence to Sh1t Happens! That is hilarious! Of course he did say stuff happens! So who knows! ^_~ Although I can't imagine Yukito saying Sh1t happens although he does seem to have a bit of a perverse sense of humor... See Ep14 ^_~

LOL I'm glad you said something about the Tomoyo/Sakura set it is one of my favorite parts of the episode, and the expressions are just priceless, as I get older I do still find myself drawn to the Beautiful cels/sketches but I find myself at least recently looking at the funny pieces and going you know, what? That needs to be in my gallery!

Thanks, I have been working more and more about putting together more educational comments in the write ups although it is a lot of work, and the sketch sets definitely need more time. Although I found a few great resources about the different animation directors on Sailor Moon and their styles, most of them even worked as Key animators on their episodes so if you look hard enough you can find these pieces occasionally. I will def keep an eye out for her, the problem is, is that I don't think she moves much and my fear is that Usagi is shellacked to another set up, but I will def, I've only reunited a set of cels once, and the sketches a few times. It just takes time and patience.

I did donate myself as well, it scares me to think that even in such a modern city of Tokyo there are animators living well below the poverty line that have to give up their dream. Some get lucky and move up the ranks quickly, but for most it is a long slog to the top. One of the sketch sets I have to give away at Otakon is from a Fight scene from Galaxy Railways (2006) where there is a page for each laser beam shot at the train, the set is like over 50 pages, and I'm thinking some poor guy or gal needed to make a rent payment on that one.

Anyway thanks for the nice comments! I am slowly working on editing the over 100 pages/cels that I scanned Friday and Saturday and will be trickling them onto RS slowly when I've updated enough I will post here with a comprehensive list!

JD
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jadeduo wrote:I can't imagine Yukito saying Sh1t happens although he does seem to have a bit of a perverse sense of humor... See Ep14 ^_~
Well, "Cardcaptors Uncensored" was a bizarre community of foul-mouthed adolescent guys and girls (who often could cuss the guys under the table without batting an eye). And me, whom everyone regarded with a eerie mix of awe ("a real college professor!") and comradeship ("but he knows where we're coming from"). I think it was a predecessor of the Brony community, as it had the same perverse love (yes! real :kiss love!) for CCS and its artistry, plus a shared disgust for the travesty that was Cardcaptors as seen on Kids WB on Saturday morning. And, remember, it was transgressive from the starting gun, as you got access to fansubs only through illicit channels, usually involving sending USPS postal money orders through the mail to people you didn't know in hopes that they really would send back the VHS tapes of the episodes you asked for. (Oddly, I was gypped only once that I recall.)

It was a wild, rowdy bunch, and the fanfics were pretty wild, generating whole sets of conventions of their own. It was assumed, for instance, that the subbed characters (Sakura, Tomoyo, Yukito, Eriol, etc.) were distinct characters from their counterparts in the dubbed versions (SaKOOrah, Madison Taylor, Julian Star, Eli Moon, etc.) And so episodes would get developed when obnoxious Madison Taylor would kidnap Tomoyo and try to take her place, unsuccessfully of course.

And of course when relationships developed, really, anything went, and so the stories got pretty raunchy. And in another convention, the members of the forum themselves got transmuted into characters in the fanfics, for instance, as one or another of the "Gray Ladies" who functioned as Tomoyo's bodyguards. They were not all ladies, of course, and it was important to know which ones were cross-dressers and which were perverts, not always the same ones.

I did my stint in some of these, and the one that I found later and reposted in Beta's fanfic forum was pretty typical, though not as raunchy as some. It was titled The Legend of Cow Reed and was inspired by the dub's annoying habit of referring to "Clow Reed" and "the Clow Cards" as if "Clow" rhymed with "plow" and not (as in the sub) with "glow." So I moved the action of the series out to the Wild West and reimagined the cards as "Cow Cards." Lots of internal jokes that the CCU bunch would understand. (There was a follow-up that involved capturing a "Fly Card" that attracted, well, irritating bugs, with a "Windy Card" that was notorious for its disabling flatulence, rather like The Spleen in Mystery Men. But my muse abandoned me at that point.)

Alas, the arrival of a decent licensed uncut sub marked the demise of this community, though there is still a nostalgia page live on FB.
I am slowly working on editing the over 100 pages/cels that I scanned Friday and Saturday and will be trickling them onto RS slowly
Yes! I've already picked up your fine Ep. 62 Yukito in a recent update. Congratulations, even with the missing Touya layer! A fine, atmospheric addition. :bounce :bow :hello