and I love your Family Guy sketch!
Thanks For Sharing!
:cheers
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Celluloid Central Gallery Update

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi Kino!

Super nice update to your gallery, I wholeheartedly agree with Sensei that, that Maleficent sketch is truly terrifying in an understated way! I am also super pumped you found more Serial Experiments Lain I thought about collecting from it for a hot minute but the market was dry for it right after it came out and continues to be so I let it fall by the wayside, but truly one of my fave animes!

Kudos to you!
Jadeduo
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

sensei wrote:Wow! 8O What an intense sketch of Maleficent! That's a real highlight of your collection now. And congrats on extending your Kino's Journey gallery in nice ways. Knowing I wouldn't get much in the way of anime-related gifts (aside from my Secret Santa prize), I bought myself the DVDs for this series for Christmas. Otherwise, a nose hair trimmer (doesn't work), a new suit jacket (doesn't fit), a CD of the greatest hits of the Statler Brothers ("But I thought you liked bluegrass!"), etc.
Thank you so much, Sensei. I can hardly believe I own a Maleficent sketch. Unfortunately, my scanner couldn't capture the whole image. Her trailing robes, which you really can't see in the scan, are the most impressive part. But I don't have a program where I can merge scans at the moment, so the current image will have to do. The Kino Rilezu are beautiful, but I mainly buy them for the sketches haha. The repro cel is mainly what you're paying for I suppose, but to me they're the bonus item.

And that's awesome that you bought the series! Enjoy! :)
teggacat wrote:wonderful updates!
your Kino section continues to impress,
nice variety with your Noir,
congrats on the new Lain too, those just
don't show up too often anymore,
and I love your Family Guy sketch!
Thanks For Sharing!
:cheers
Thank you, Tegga! :) I knew that I would eventually want to collect from Family Guy, and I'm so happy that my first piece has Death in it haha. I'm super-impressed by your Noir collection as well. You know how hard they are to collect. Lots of patience.
Jadeduo wrote:Hi Kino!

Super nice update to your gallery, I wholeheartedly agree with Sensei that, that Maleficent sketch is truly terrifying in an understated way! I am also super pumped you found more Serial Experiments Lain I thought about collecting from it for a hot minute but the market was dry for it right after it came out and continues to be so I let it fall by the wayside, but truly one of my fave animes!

Kudos to you!
Jadeduo
Thank you, Jadeduo. :) Maleficent is the pride of my collection now. She's so cool and scary. Lain is one of my favorites too, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't ever get too many Lain cels, despite checking multiple sites everyday--sometimes several times a day. Interesting how you mention they've always been hard to find. I'd always wondered if that was the case. I feel a little bit better now haha. I got into a bid war over this one, my first ever. I was so happy when I won.

Thanks again, guys :)
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Celluloid Central Gallery Update 2015: KINO & EVANGELION

Post by KinoLRB »

Since 2015 marks the 15th and 20th anniversaries of my two favorite anime's, Kino's Journey and Evangelion (not to mention 2015 being the year NGE takes place), my gallery will focus (almost) exclusively on adding Evangelion & Kino artwork. The second of these additions will appear early next month on RS, with plans to update again come late spring/early summer. Stay tuned! :)

I never officially posted it, but my first update of 2015 was added in January, and included this foreshortened sketch of Kino with her trusty persuader. Enjoy!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Congrats on the new Kino rilezu and douga, Kino. it's good to see you setting a plan for your collection and presenting it in such a focused way. Interesting that 2015 is Eva year (and I'm still waiting for my Honda CRV to learn how to fly...) Reminds me of living through 1984 (no thanks to Big Brother) and having a daughter in the class of 2001 (we do Skype, so that at least has come true).
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Thank you, Sensei. I'm looking forward to it. The only downside is my budget being much lower this year. Evangelion artwork and limited funds mix about as well as water and oil, so I'm being super careful about what I buy. The first item, due to arrive in a few weeks, is a minor wishlist picked up at a bargain price. I couldn't be happier.

In Japan, they're celebrating EVA's 20th in a big way. The blu-ray comes out this summer, and apparently there's a fundraising project to plant a 9-inch Spear of Longinus on the moon.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... nus/.83876
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

That is certainly a very nice 'KJ' piece, congratulations on the acquisition Kino.

All is not lost on the fundage-front, there have been a few auctions on both Mandrake & YHJ over the past three months which have finished under JPY22,000 for some really nice pieces (a few of them I wish I placed a bid or two :P).
Looking forward to seeing your upcoming additions.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Quacker wrote:That is certainly a very nice 'KJ' piece, congratulations on the acquisition Kino.
Thank you, Quacker. I'd been desperately wanting an image of Kino with her gun, which is so iconic to the series. The foreshortening effect really sold it for me.
Quacker wrote:All is not lost on the fundage-front, there have been a few auctions on both Mandrake & YHJ over the past three months which have finished under JPY22,000 for some really nice pieces (a few of them I wish I placed a bid or two :P).
I appreciate the optimism. :) Yes, there have been some promising auctions these past few months. EVA cels seem to go for more money on Mandrake. The competition is fierce.

The update will consist of two pieces, one of which I won this morning. I couldn't be more excited. Despite being (somewhat) inexpensive, both items are wishlist, one minor, and one kidney. I'll do the usual update once they arrive, probably in about two weeks.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Celluloid Central Gallery Update: EVANGELION

Post by KinoLRB »

Hi everyone. New cels added today, the first of what I hope will be a fabulous year for EVA updates. Enjoy! :)

Gendo Genga

Rei from EOE
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Awesome new additions Kino.

I believe you have chosen some really good items to be a part of your collection. Both items display the unique characteristics which made those characters so popular and easily recognizable in the first place. With the Gendo genga (ha trying saying that 10 times really fast?!) one can see the fierce determination and arrogance which was shown throughout the whole TV series while with the Rei cel (my favourite character of the series, closely followed by Asuka) viewers get to see her at her most weakened and vulnerable state.
Some Eva anime fans actually forget that we were first introduced to Rei's character when Shinji refuses to pilot Eva-01 so a badly wounded & heavily bandaged Rei is ordered to sortie & and take his place - back then, no other major character had been introduced into a series in that fashion before; having them wheeled in via a hospital bed, being in a comprised position and easily less than 100% healthy & fit.

I also enjoyed the detailed descriptions and commentary you provided for both items. If these two additions are just a 'teaser' or the tip of the proverbial 'Eva'-related-goods-iceberg for the year ahead, I look forward to your upcoming rounds of new Cel/Genga announcements.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Quacker wrote:Awesome new additions Kino.

I believe you have chosen some really good items to be a part of your collection. Both items display the unique characteristics which made those characters so popular and easily recognizable in the first place. With the Gendo genga (ha trying saying that 10 times really fast?!) one can see the fierce determination and arrogance which was shown throughout the whole TV series while with the Rei cel (my favourite character of the series, closely followed by Asuka) viewers get to see her at her most weakened and vulnerable state.
Some Eva anime fans actually forget that we were first introduced to Rei's character when Shinji refuses to pilot Eva-01 so a badly wounded & heavily bandaged Rei is ordered to sortie & and take his place - back then, no other major character had been introduced into a series in that fashion before; having them wheeled in via a hospital bed, being in a comprised position and easily less than 100% healthy & fit.

I also enjoyed the detailed descriptions and commentary you provided for both items. If these two additions are just a 'teaser' or the tip of the proverbial 'Eva'-related-goods-iceberg for the year ahead, I look forward to your upcoming rounds of new Cel/Genga announcements.
Thank you, Quacker. Always appreciated. Gendo artwork is extremely rare. This genga is the first I've seen come up for sale since I started collecting. And I was so happy to finally get a Rei cel, and from of one of my favorite scenes in the film no less. Very poignant shot with a definite context for those who know EVA. I think part of what makes Rei so popular is how enigmatic she is. She's one of my favorite characters.

As for the commentaries, I'm adding them slowly but surely. It's a challenge doing each piece justice. I won't be updating for a while, but I'm hoping to add something special next time. Fingers crossed. :)
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Hi guys. Added a new EVA cel. Thanks for looking! :)

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=385752
sensei

Post by sensei »

Congratulations, and thanks, as always, for providing the context for this interesting cel.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Thank you, Sensei. This cel was quite a find for me. Images of Fuyutsuki are very rare. I've never seen one before finding this cel. Compositionally, it's my favorite EVA cel.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Oh, boy. This was an unexpected purchase, but totally worth breaking the budget over. From my favorite scene from my favorite anime film. Enjoy! :)

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=385912