FINALLY Updated the best Piece - Sorcerer Mickey

Show off your stuff!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

FINALLY Updated the best Piece - Sorcerer Mickey

Post by star-phoenix »

Hey All! I FINALLY updated my 2nd piece for Fantasia. This is one of my favorite shorts from Fantasia. A great shot of none other than Sorcerer Mickey! The cool part is this piece came with a newspaper article that featured an image from the same scene!!

http://starphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=386416
Last edited by star-phoenix on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Some Minor Updates - Disney

Post by sensei »

Thanks for the attention given to the Fantasia cel. The black centaur is obviously based on the popular stereotype based on Topsy in the Uncle Tom's Cabin minstrel shows. Stowe was no racist, as close reading of the original novel shows, but her novel occasioned traveling dramatic versions that often had little connection to the original plot. Sadly, "Uncle Tom" remains a serious insult spoken by one African American of another, thanks to the parodic use of this character in these minstrel shows. Though Stowe's character, an early practitioner of passive resistance combined with the Black magical tradition of conjuration, is no "Uncle Tom." Disney's "Topsy" really is, as you show, racist on several levels. If we censor the past, we forget it, and so have no way of understanding the present.

Looking forward to your big-ticket item soon!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

That Fantasia Black centaurette piece is a real conversation starter and it really shows how far we have grown in society. Back then, people did not even think anything of it. This was just "normal" for the 1940's. Ad this kind of thing is found in so many other films and cartoons during that time period, especially in bugs bunny! 8O
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

But in that same token, Disney has banned Song of the South in the US, despite having a ride dedicated to the movie at both Disneyland/world. While I understand that characters designed to exploit a racial stereotype will be offensive to some, I think people should be given the option to view the movie, legally, instead of pretending that it doesn't exist. I feel the same about the WWII Disney cartoons as well. This is how you open dialogue up between groups of people as well as highlighting how different things were in the US less than a century ago.

Nice backgrounds, though :)
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

I always look forward to your updates, Phoenix. The backgrounds are beautiful, and I can't wait to see your new item. :)
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

such important update cels!
your gallery has become such a wealth of knowledge,
just lovely!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Rubberslug has been driving me nuts with trying to upload new images. I finally got one art piece uploaded after 3 hours. Still having to work on the text. But, that will get done later today.

This is a very lovely piece. An original concept piece made in pastel by Sylvia Holland. She is the one responsible for designing the looks of the female Centaurettes int he pastoral scenes. Please be cautious that a lot of her art style features bare chested Centaurettes (just in case you have little ones around you don't want them to see even if it is art). This is by far the nicest Sylvia Holland piece I have seen so far.
http://starphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=386256

Will update later with an even more amazing find!! :-D
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: FINALLY Updated the best Piece - Sorcerer Mickey

Post by star-phoenix »

I just updated my final piece. Saved the best for last!

Sorcerer Mickey :-)
http://starphoenix.rubberslug.com/galle ... mID=386416
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Wow, what an amazing Mickey! It doesn't get any more Disney than this. Super iconic. Congratulations! :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi Star-Phoenix,

Such a lovely set of rare finds, and your gallery is always well researched and quite lovely. Quality over quantity always seems to be your motto. That Sorcerer Mickey is quite lovely, and I am totally jealous!

I will continue to live through your Disney collection, as I can't bring myself to give up my Anime collection to start a disney one as that is what it would take!

Thanks again so much for sharing!

JD