Do you still have your "first cel"?

Show off your stuff!
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Do you still have your "first cel"?

Post by graymouser »

I am a little late to this thread. I still have my first cel. Not sure if it counts since it was a freebie that I got when I bought a VHS tape back in the mid-90s. At the time I had no idea what a cel was. Even though it is pretty much worthless, I have very fond memories of messing around with it trying to figure out how it was used to make a show.

I no longer have the first cel I ever bought. I had no particular attachment to it. At the time no one on ebay would sell to me because I had no feedback. Sellers kept cancelling my bids. I finally had to overpay by using "buy it now" just so they couldn't cancel me and so I could get a feedback history. I eventually sold it a few years later.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

graymouser wrote:I am a little late to this thread. I still have my first cel. Not sure if it counts since it was a freebie that I got when I bought a VHS tape back in the mid-90s. At the time I had no idea what a cel was. Even though it is pretty much worthless, I have very fond memories of messing around with it trying to figure out how it was used to make a show.

I no longer have the first cel I ever bought. I had no particular attachment to it. At the time no one on ebay would sell to me because I had no feedback. Sellers kept cancelling my bids. I finally had to overpay by using "buy it now" just so they couldn't cancel me and so I could get a feedback history. I eventually sold it a few years later.
There is nothing better than starting your collection with a "Tenticle" cel :evilblk
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by berzey81 »

I still have the first 2 cels i ever purchased. I bought these in 2009 from a cel dealer at Sakura Con in Seattle. I would probably sell a kidney before ever parting with either of these. They hold special memories since Dragon Ball Z was the first anime I ever watched and these 2 cels started me down this crazy yet rewarding hobby of cel collecting.

http://amberanime.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=384420
http://amberanime.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=384421
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

Actually, I was incorrect. I *do* have my first cel. I just never thought o it as my first because it wasn't part of my "collection." I got it back in '92. A shot of Winnie the Pooh. At the same time I bought a production drawing of one of the seven dwarfs from Snow White. Both framed.
Last edited by teppy on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for: Excellent cels of Misa Hayase from Macross.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I quite enjoyed going through this page, and it is so nice to see some oldies, but goodies come out of the woodwork to share! ^_^

I do still have my first cel, bought from Christy circa 2002-2001 (unsure of year now) *feels old*:

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=363482

There is some paint damage, but I have since assuaged that guilt of making that mistake with my first cel, by acquiring a sequence mate ^_^ in the last year or two! ^_^

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=372543

JD
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

I do indeed still have both my very first cel ever purchased along with the second cel I purchased:

Escaflowne Frame

This was back in 1998, when the 'internet' was still new and held unlimited potential opportunities - I can actually see & purchase a cel used in my favourite anime "Escaflowne" from a US based store and they will post it out to me - this is Awesome!
I was working full-time in Hospitality for an income while studying Finance/Business & IT, AUD350.00 was a bit of a stretch back then but oh so worth it. 6weeks later I received a large A3 sized envelope in the mail and tore it open to see & feel my first cel, the intricate paintwork and trace lines. A few days later I was back on-line again searching for another cel, settling for the close-up of the Escaflowne shown on the left of the frame costing another AUD800.
On a side note, I have not sold any of the cels/artwork I own, nor do I see myself doing so in the future.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
JustVan
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by JustVan »

Here's mine, an Escaflowne cel of Van that I got in 1999:

http://justvan.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=380015

Surprising in a way I didn't start collecting sooner than that, but like many people I had no idea what cels actually were until I accidentally happened across some. And yes, it's easy to put my hands on it. It's the first cel in my Escaflowne cel book. xD
JustVan's Cels: Unico, Escaflowne, Ranma ½, DBZ & more.
figital

Post by figital »

i was just reading the earlier messages in this thread when the BEST synchronicity occurred!

my son is 9 years old and i have been showing him RANMA 1/2 to give him laughs and prepare him for our family trip to japan over xmas and new years.

so before i started S1E1, i broke out my rather limited cel collection and showed him. that followed with a lesson on cel animation, which he now loves, and the request that he keeps an eye out in every episode in case he sees one of my cels fly past.

well, it just happened and guess what??? it was my very first cel.

so i am pretty happy about that. to be honest, it's the first time i've spotted one that i own! it was quite a thrill. (although my son wasn't so happy i had to fiddle with the pause for 10 minutes to get the exact frame and then take photos.)

i got this sweet item in the dump bins of mandarake in 2004 for the princely sum of 600 yen. it still stands as a fave since it is rewarding to rifle bins and actually find something cool. it reminds me of digging through crates of records. sure you can get good stuff on the net, but nothing beats the rush of finding it in an unmarked, unsorted stack!