Sequence mates

Show off your stuff!
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Sequence mates

Post by lunacels »

Hello beta-ers!

Years ago, I sold off many cels in my collection. Some I regret, others less so...but one that I had been kicking myself for letting go I haven't been able to find in anyone's gallery online, so I was sadly resigned to never seeing it again. But then a sequence mate came up and I was able to get it, ten years later! And--this may or may not be a good thing, depending on your perspective of the cel market in general--the price was less than half what I paid in 2000. :bny

So that said, who else has loved and lost, only to find it (or one like it) again?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Sequence mates

Post by sensei »

I haven't had this experience -- as I said in another thread, when "that" feeling fades, it's as if I never owned it. But I've had a similar one regarding losing out on a much-desired cel and then getting lucky soon after with a sequence-mate.

http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... emID=21616

The whole story is on the description below the cel, so I won't repeat it. But the gist is that I saw one of these pan cels go up on the old Anime Chaos sales site in 2001, but missed out on it. Then another one appeared on eBay in Spring 2002. I bid what the AC cel had sold for, plus a skosh, and quickly found myself overbid by several hundred dollars. I reconciled myself to either having to spend a lot of cash on any other cel from this cut, or doing without.

Then, the next October, lo! another sequence-buddy appeared on the AC sales site -- "stuck to sketch" but priced about 10% of what the eBay cel had finally sold for. That one I was quick to nab (and it wasn't badly stuck after all).
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Sometime around 2007-ish, a cel of Heero from Gundam Wing in an outfit I still needed popped up on YJ. It was a nice one, and I think it was either an A1 or an end. I bid quite a bit and lost. But, as luck would have it, about a year or so later, a sequence mate (not as nice, eyes closed) popped up on Mandarake. I won it for a STEAL. Then another year or so later, ANOTHER sequence mate popped up on YJ, this one nicer and with his eyes open -- and again, I won for a super-awesome price. I'm not usually one to hang onto sequence mates, but I still have both cels:

http://www.zero-space.net/gallery2/disp ... temid=2431
http://www.zero-space.net/gallery2/disp ... temid=2921

According to the dates in my gallery, those two were added about 1 year apart. I'm too attached to the eyes closed one (I use it for avatars :rollin).
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

I've had this happen to me on several occasions. With some of what I collect there are dealers who own entire sequences and release an additional sequence mate to the public each time the prior one sells, so it isn't as big a deal to miss out on those. I did have one dream cel, however, that I missed because I had to go into a meeting at work and got sniped (the particular seller has been known to do shill bidding on big items, so I didn't want to disclose what I would pay early on). Fortunately, about 3 years later a sequence mate did come along. :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

OMG this happens to me a lot, I have a practical streak a mile wide! So unless it is an A1End I have a hard stop for most of the pieces that come up. I have let pieces go in the past only to get them years and years down to the road, and sometimes at a cheaper price.

This has seemingly happened a lot lately, as prices have been dropping as of late. I have acquired some wishlist pieces I never thought I would get my hands on these last few years.

The best example would be anything I have picked up in the last year from Episode 65 of CCS, especially the Yuki without Glasses. When I first started collecting CCS, you couldn't find one for less than $800 that I ever saw I was able to get that at a VERY decent price recently.

:vict

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/m ... esID=34582

JD
:vict