Durarara!! and Magi sketches

Show off your stuff!
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Durarara!! and Magi sketches

Post by berzey81 »

I recently got around to scanning and uploading all of my sketches from Magi and Durarara!!. I swear I will never catch up on all my scanning. Every time I get close a package of sketches or cels arrives in the mail. I'm starting to wonder when it's time to seek professional help for my addiction lol.

Here are the links:

Durarara!!:
http://amberanime.rubberslug.com/galler ... esID=49228

Magi:
http://amberanime.rubberslug.com/galler ... 229&Page=1

I hope you all enjoy them!
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Durarara!! and Magi sketches

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Its great to see items from these two awesome series, and they seem to be fairly hard to come by. Thanks for sharing!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Heh. Magi seems worth knowing about: a mash-up of Arabian (K)nights and Dungeons and Dragons. (With a character named Hakuryuu :rollin ). The roughs are especially nice. Even though this one

http://amberanime.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=389603

is mostly a blank sheet, it still generates the excitement that good animation provides. Any info on who the artist might be? (I assume the episode animation director of the ep. from which they come.) Looks like a nice set of "foul papers" bootlegged home by the animator or an assistant (or the guy who emptied the trash can at night).
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Very lovely! I love finding a good correction page... It is almost always done by a more senior animator so good find! And the Durarara sketches are quite nice, I am told this is a series I should possibly watch, but I am like... *shudders, no more obsessions!*

Heehee... like Sensei I have been running into the bid war more often this year than last year, where I was picking up most things at OP bid. This year most pieces I have been going after have been causing me trouble of some sort ^_^;; And it's nice that some of the series that I collect have lately been having a huge dump to the market lately all generally at lower bids (some higher) But it has come down to prioritizing of late... :/

If you need a cheerleader Berzey, I can break out my pompoms! *Update, rah, rah, rah!!* If it makes you feel better I was able to cut my pile of shame in half and then I emptied the deputy... *cries* Most of it was sketches which take me longer so... :bawl :bawl And then Cutiebunny's pile of shame is much more epic, that reminds me I need to go poke her with stick to update... *runs off to get stick*
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Jadeduo wrote:..And then Cutiebunny's pile of shame is much more epic, that reminds me I need to go poke her with stick to update... *runs off to get stick*
Such. A. Tattletale. /pif

You're just lucky that you have about six months between now and the next convention or else I'd be scarfing down all the nomnoms instead.

Also, it's not my fault if a certain convention forbade me to show stuff. Blame them for your lack of updates.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Haha... Suuuuuuuuuuuuurrree... You have a BG problem not just a certain convention problem. IJS

And post poking you did put up a short stack :). I am the Bunny whisperer...
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by berzey81 »

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Sensai, the lead animator for Magi is Toshifumi Akai. I had the pleasure to meet him at sakura-con 2014 along with the director and producer of Magi. There is actually an interesting story about these sketches. I took the sketches with me to sakura-con with the intention of having them signed by the artist. At this time I had just begun buying items from mandarake's auction site and was naively under the assumption that anything that came from them was obtained legitimately. However to my utter embarrassment I was informed by the Magi crew that they were actually leaked from the studio. My face turned a thousand shades of red as I was standing in front of these people with a stack of stolen sketches. They talked back and forth in Japanese and I was seriously freaking out. The translator then told me they said to "calm down" and that I did nothing wrong by purchasing these but they wanted to take some pictures to launch an investigation into the leak. They were even kind enough to still sign my sketch but made me promise not to ever post it online. That night I want home and printed off the auction info from those particular auctions as I thought they might be helpful. I went back to the con the next day and stood in the autograph line for over an hour. As I got to the front of the line I was informed it was a closed autograph session for people who attended a Q&A panel. I was quite upset that I they never mentioned this once for the entire hour+ that I was standing in line. I asked if I could just talk to the translator real quick so I could pass off the papers I had so she could give them to the producer. She took the papers and I turned to walk off and was flagged down by her. I thought to myself "I'm not getting into trouble am I?". She told me to wait for 10 min because the producer had a question for me but wanted to finish up his session real quick. After they were done they all thanked me for my co-operation, reassured me again that I did nothing wrong lol and then the lead animator drew a pretty detailed sketch of Sindbad for me and one of Judar for my sister who was in line with me. She happened to be cosplayed as a gender bender Judar that year and they loved it. They also took multiple pictures with us. They were truly the nicest people ever.

I am going to be working on getting my shikishis up on my site as soon as I figure out the best was to scan or take a picture of them. any suggestions?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

That's nice that Akai was able to draw something nice for you. I felt bad for him at SakuraCon 2014 because he was overshadowed by Kyoji Asano, the character designer for both Attack on Titan and PSYCHO PASS. Being a huge fan of Kogami, I went to that particular con solely for Asano.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff that ends on YJ and Mandarake were pilfered from the studio, either by the animation staff or the people that clean up after them. I've pulled out sketches from series that artists have worked on before, and it's like "Why do you have those?" There's always a lot of shock on their part when they see people who live outside of Japan with production artwork and other things that are Japan-only items. You'd think the concept of buying on auction sites and importing abroad would have crossed their mind, but then again, how many of us are aware of the many deputy services that bid for their users on E-bay and ship those items abroad?

As for your question, well, it really depends on how much oversized artwork you plan to buy. If shikishi and larger items are something you want to collect a lot of in the future, I would consider buying a solid A3 scanner. You can find them used on E-bay for a couple hundred dollars. I have an Epson 10000XL that I have used for about 2.5 years, and I absolutely love it. There are cheaper A3 scanners available, like those from Mustek, but I've read very mixed reviews about them.

If that's not something you want to do, what some people do is they make a two scans, one for the left and right side of the shikishi, and then stitch that together using Photoshop. It's more time consuming than taking a cellphone picture, but if the presentation of it matters to you and you don't want to buy a new scanner, it's a solid route to go.
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by berzey81 »

I feel morally conflicted buying things I know were pilfered. My thought on the matter is, and I know some people will disagree with me, if it is already online for people to buy anyway why should't I try and get it myself. To be honest an auction of more Magi sketches was on Mandarake last week and I won the auction. I felt a little guilty doing so but I didn't let it stop me. The sad thing is most artwork from anime series will never see the light of day and will most likely be destroyed so If i can get my hands on a piece of anime history I'm going to do so. I have a profound appreciation for the artwork that goes into making anime and take great pleasure in collecting it.

I feel like this would be an interesting topic to approach on a thread as I'm sure people have different views on this subject.

Thanks for the suggestions on scanners. I think considering I will probably be collecting for as long as I can it would be a good idea to invest in a scanner.