Small update 10/17/15

Show off your stuff!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Small update 10/17/15

Post by JWR »

Looking at this year of collecting other than the Holy Bell statue we really had not found much that caught our interest so this is actually our first cel/sketch update this year.

1st one is an original sketch Mouse Guard is a book series with story & art by David Petersen. It has recieved the Eisner Award (the comic book Oscars) in 2008.
This book is a hardcover collected edition of Winter 1152. David signed and numbered these but in this one he included a sketch of his character Saxon.
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=388814

The 2nd one is a Hanken from Girls Bravo that I was happy to receive from Beta member Blaster during his current offer period. It includes all of the preproduction sketches which are displayed as the extra images in the galleys.
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=390240
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=390239
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Re: Small update 10/17/15

Post by Krafty »

Nice additions, I really like the Saxon sketch, even though I don't know the comic. His proportions are very cute. Extra special to get a drawing inside a book like this, I'm very happy for you!
As for the Girls Bravo artwork, very nice! I'd call it a 'Blaster' from the past as it used to be in my collection too ^__^

Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
JWR

Post by JWR »

Krafty wrote:Nice additions, I really like the Saxon sketch, even though I don't know the comic. His proportions are very cute. Extra special to get a drawing inside a book like this, I'm very happy for you!
As for the Girls Bravo artwork, very nice! I'd call it a 'Blaster' from the past as it used to be in my collection too ^__^

Thanks Krafty, Yes I have seen a few items get passed around collectors from time to time only to end up in a black hole, at least my "event horizon" is quite visible so you can visit any time you wish.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Very interesting stuff. I'm intrigued by the early stages of the Girls Bravo hanken, as these are the parts of animation that we don't often get to see, as they're discarded once the later clean-up stages are finished and approved. Gives us a sense of the image as a "work in progress" rather than as something that got dropped from the sky by a semi-divine artist. The use of the thick blue pencil is especially interesting: I have a number of these from Powerpuff Girls Z, from which a fairly large bunch of rough drafts were available in bunches for a while. I called them "blues," and enjoyed getting them as they could be very preliminary, they often showed touches of real drawing expertise. Here's a good example.

The original drawing by David Petersen is also nice. I like how you can see some of the penciled rough version around where it was inked. Congrats!
JWR

Post by JWR »

Thanks Sensei,

Yes one of the thinks I love to see is the parts of the creative process which may well have been what drew me to collecting comic art of the type shown in the Mouseguard "doodle".
I noticed that the early sketches of this piece had Kirie with her mount open like she's gritting her teeth or letting out an "eek" http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=390239 (secondary window #1) but in the final her mouth is closed.
misa
Kamisama - God

Post by misa »

Nice!! I am a huge Mouse Guard fan too :D I have all the books and his huge new art book from Comic-Con (it's so neat).
Anime-Online Gallery:
https://gallery.anime-online.com

Anime-Online Sales:
https://anime-online.com
JWR

Post by JWR »

misa wrote:Nice!! I am a huge Mouse Guard fan too :D I have all the books and his huge new art book from Comic-Con (it's so neat).
Yes it is quite a unique series.