Sensei's 2017.04 Update: Harvest Time (mostly sketches)

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Sensei's 2016.015 Update: Just a few scraps

Post by sensei »

I've been on vacation from collecting and from Beta for an extended time, mainly due to the expense of effort devoted to a research seminar that I taught at a nearby university, which I was allowed to devote to manga and anime. A great opportunity to upgrade a lot of teaching materials and really think about the subject, but unfortunately the seminar had a rather dubious function in The Scheme of Things, which I'll get into later as I regain energy and gain some perspective. (Bottom line: 12 students, 5 F's, 5 C's.)

But being done now gives me the chance to upload a few pre-Lenten scraps as a foretaste of a bigger update that will probably come in June.

The highlight is from one of my favorite scenes in Tenshi ni Narumon, the moment in Ep. 24 when the marionette Muse, fresh from seeing her creator Silky snip the strings of her beloved Eros, turns and ...

curses her to her face. There are issues with this cel, as evidently Pierrot rejected the first take and redid it with different cels. But as none of these (so far as I know) have come on the market, this intense image from the first version is pleasure enough. A great scene (partly thanks to the seiyuu, Sakura Tange -- yes, Cardcaptor Sakura, moonlighting during a long production pause between the second and third seasons!)

The others may be more interesting to collectors who are interested in animation history and behind-the-scenes details. Both come from Hyper Police, an interesting series made the more so because Studio Pierrot used such a diversity of young animation talents, many with long and interesting careers ahead of them.

One shows

The catgirl Natsuki offering her partner some Cat Food (Ep. 9) (She'd bought a six-month supply on sale when she had money.) This extends my perspective on the episode's animation director, Shinichirō Minami (南 伸一郎), who judging from the long dossier on ANN has served as gengaman or episode animation director for just about every series from Urusei Yatsura to the present moment.

I'd noticed that my other HP sketches that I'd attributed to him were very simple, if effective, but this cut, where he evidently did not like the work of one of the key animators, shows what a detailed, effective job he could do when he was correcting an iffy genga.

The other, a funny moment, shows

Natsuki coming home to find the fox-spirit Sakura binge-eating on her kitchen floor

That's from Episode 14, one of five HP episodes outsourced to a new studio called Kyoto Animation, and the animation director was Kazumi Ikeda (池田 和美), later character designer and chief animation director for both <i>Clannad</i> and the 2006 remake of <i>Kanon</i>. (And now Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions as well as the current Myriad Colors Phantom World.) Although I'm not sure if Ikeda was the artist of the rough on light-green paper: it came with a partial correction that I'm certain is Ikeda's work. In any case, it's an amusing and surprisingly complex cut. It came with a photocopy of a pan sketch of the food around her, ranging from a gigantic bento box to a bucket of KFC fried chicken.

More in a bit, including a big addition from CCS and another surprising sketch find from a recent CGI production. And more of my usual obsessions. But first a series of long naps.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Woot! Happy to have you back :) It's been quiet around here. Love the sketches and I look forward to seeing what your big CCS addition is!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks, KT4. Yes, I'll be sure to let everyone know when the next update goes up. It's nice that really good pieces from both CCS movies are coming up, and while prices have been stiff on some items, on others they've been just about right. It will likely be a smaller update, but it will cover Golden Age, Classic, and CGI eras, which I like to see happen.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Love the intensity of the Tenshi cel. Can't wait for your next big update! :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thank you, Kino. It's a pity that Tennimon isn't better known in the anime community. It's remarkable in moving from a random comic mode to remarkable emotional depth. And the animation staff has some startling members: Ep. 20, for instance, has Kazumi Ikeda as Animation Director, Michiko Yokote as Scriptwriter, and Mamoru Hosoda as Storyboarder. All of them just talented beginners at the time.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

If those are "just the scraps" then they definitely wet ones appetite for your next update.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei

Post by sensei »

Not as splashy as February's but nice stuff from the Golden Age (Nils) through the Classic period (CCS Movie, Hyper Police, Palme) to the CGI era (Yamibou, Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen). And the aforementioned surprise.
sensei

Re: Sensei's 2016.02 Update: Midsummer Madness

Post by sensei »

The update and its announcement were delayed by a long and irritating period during which our Internet came and went and our landline phone buzzed and crackled. It was so bad that I had to take my laptop to my church (which has wireless) in order to make an important professional Skype call (I was accepting a professional award via video link at a scholarly conference in Tallinn, Estonia). The tech person came today, walked in, looked around, and said, "You need to order a new router." My wife said (I was at the grocery) that our phone was experiencing interference too, as was everyone's on our street in the development. "Guess I'll take a look outside," the tech said, with a touch of reluctant irritation.

He was gone for an hour and a half. When he returned to fiddle with our outside phone box, I asked him what he'd found out. "Had to change circuits in every box from here to Cat Hell Road," he grumbled. ("Cat Hell" is the old name of the swamp where our development now is located, and the name of the main drag into it preserves this bit of history.) He fiddled and scrabbled with the phone box, then with the lead into our house, and finally came in and booted up the router. The Internet came up within a minute. "You still need to order a new router," he commented, then growled, "I did a darn lot of work here, y'know" and left. We think that he expected to be tipped for restoring the service for which we pay, get it or no.

Anyhow, the update, which went up over several days by fits and starts, is now complete, as is the monthly makeover (banner, featured cel/sketch, etc.). It's not "May Madness" by now, but "Midsummer Madness" fits in a Shakespearean fashion.

Plastic first. As JadeDuo says in her update thread, there have been many fine cels on the market lately from the two Cardcaptor Sakura movies. I'd love to be a newbie again and grab a bunch of these, but honestly, just how many CCS cels does one person need?

Well, at least this one more:

Yukito and Kero-chan at story’s end

This setup contains the end keys for Yuki and Kero, plus the sweatdrop and the A1 END cel of the hat, and the original matching background. It's worth noting that this cel is the absolute last image of Yukito in the entire CCS canon. (Kero-chan does an encore in the "Leave it to Kero" short that ran after the movie.)

The setup also came with

the layout of the start combination of images, which nicely complements the end-key setup.

Other plastic pleasures include a couple new cels from the classic 1980 Pierrot series, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (aka Nils Holgersson). One, sadly, has the first signs of vinegar syndrome, but another was in perfect condition:

Nils, Carrot, and Marten: The Joy of Flying

And in an "only you would..." acquisition, I picked up what proved to be the poster-sized

“Hyper Police” OP Series Title Card

This was printed rather than painted on the back of a sheet of cel stock, but it is nice to have this familiar piece of calligraphic art in my possession. (In earlier auctions I'd gotten two of the individual letters -- "H" and "P" -- that appear earlier in the OP by themselves.)

And one of my increasingly uncommon Tree of Palme additions brought a cel of

Koram mobbed by the bolas

This complements an earlier cut, for which I have the gengas and a number of the cels.

Now for the paper side. Thanks to Midori, I was able to make a sizeable addition to my already monumental Asatte no Hōkō collection. My favorite comes from the last moments of one of the dark episodes, in which the main character Karada chooses to run away from home and live independently. After a discouraging first day in the city, her protective older brother locates her, just as her train is beginning to leave the terminal. As he runs alongside the speeding-up train, Karada finally turns to face him and

bids him farewell

Oh, man, what an episode ender, made the more dramatic for me since my original fansubs only went up to Episode 8, and (silly me) I thought this was how the series ended -- a sad, tragic, but perfectly fitting conclusion.

Happily, I later learned that there were four more episodes, of which Ep. 10 is one of my favorites. And, nicely enough, most of my other AnH additions fill in gaps from this fine story. Interestingly, though, this batch often featured a mysterious "fixer" who often came into cuts that were going south in a major way and refigured them in major, successful ways. A number of these additions this artist (who, alas, can't be clearly identified, as there were five artists credited for animation direction of this episode). I just call him/her "Ill at ease," after the first cut that I have that shows this artist's distinctive touch. You'll see his/her impressive roughs on deep pink paper here:

Shouko glares at Hiro

and here:

Karada running in the rain

Watch in these galleries for the reanimations, which I was able to make from the dougas when these were complete enough to scan and put together. They are often revealing of the details that the artists spent time working out as still images but were intended to have full effect when put into motion.

Rozen Maiden was not neglected (is it ever in an update?), at least the recent Studio Deen "Rewind" series. Wanting a nice Suigintou (the chief baddie in RM season 1 but demoted to #2 status in season 2 and Rewind, much to her irritation), I bit on a lot that included a nice layout that seemed to have been folded over in the dealer's scan. When I got it, I found it had in fact been folded twice:

Suigintou under the Time-Space Clock

(Noooo, I'm not going to try to explain this moment the plot. ANN says it doesn't make a lick of sense, from start to finish. But, hell, with a pint of craft beer it's a good watch and the art is nice, so what?)

And Yamibou, even though I itch all over whenever I watch some of it, also wasn't neglected. I added two nice roughs (with corresponding gengas) of

Meirin accosted by Gargantua’s minions

and

An intense Natsuki

And now the surprise that I'd mentioned before. I'd been hearing good things about the work of Mamoru Hosoda, including his 2009 movie Summer Wars. Much to my surprise, a lot of rough sketches from this project showed up on Mandarake in May, and, with a bit of a tussle, I managed to pick them up. They include a series of the virtual menace of the film, a rogue AI named Love Machine,

trying to break down the door of the cyber-room where he's been trapped.

Another series, from shortly after, features the virtual reality hero, a feisty martial arts rabbit warrior named King Kazuma

slamming shut the last escape route from Love Machine's new prison.

(Oh, but he gets out anyway, and more mayhem, virtual and real-world, ensue before the film's final conclusion.)

Check out these items and, as with the Asatte no Hōkō additions, watch for the reanimations I've included, which give a vivid sense of how this art was intended to be "images in motion" rather than a simple montage of still pictures.

See it all! Or at least see some of it. It certainly shows why I, at least, don't yet see any inclination to stop collecting.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Sensei's 2016.02 Update: Midsummer Madness

Post by KinoLRB »

Thanks for sharing another great update, Sensei. I love the original background on the Kero-chan, and the Asatte No Hoko sketches are also beautiful. And nice score on the Summer Wars sketches. Congrats! :)
sensei

Sensei's 2016.03 Update: Oktoberfest

Post by sensei »

This update is one that I've been working on a little at a time since about a month ago, due to my teaching responsibilities and other local hassles. Since these are becoming less of a public event as time goes on (though oddly enough, I constantly find things on the market that continue to interest me) I'll keep this announcement simpler this time (no thumbnails or lengthy prospectuses).

From the "Golden Age" Era:

Two scarce cels from the 1980 Toei series MicroidS, both of villainous characters:

Maimai (She's the human/gypsy moth cyborg) and
The Praying Mantis Cyborg

And from the 1981 Sanrio anime film Syrius no Densetsu aka The Sea Prince and the Fire Child, two nice cels of the heroine Malta:

One in a happy mood (meeting her lover Syrius) and
one is a less happy situation (captured and under guard for violating the taboo against fraternizing with the sea-folk).

From the Classic Cel period,

A big upload of sketches from the dark and complicated anime film A Tree of Palme. I've put them all together at the start of this gallery but will eventually sort them all into proper order with the others. Some of these have interesting notes on these to the animators, notably this one showing

Popo wondering who she really is

I'm also fond of a relatively complete set in which

Palme apologizes to Popo for terrorizing her in an earlier scene.

Cardcaptor Sakura is never neglected for long, and this update adds a fine sketch set from the important Ep. 65 showing

Eriol in the big chair (the one with the long history that Sakura intuits when she sits in it later in the same episode). Featured is a fine rough by the distinguished animator Mariko Fujita. A companion gives me the very first image in my gallery of Nakuru/Ruby Moon, and this one has an especially interesting exchange between Fujita and one of the junior animators. (This one, like the Palme notes, has been transcribed and translated by :bow KuroiTsubasa4, who deserves kind thanks for a good job :cheers )

Hyper Police, another favorite of mine, gains two more sketch sets, one of

The catgirl Natsuki with her dander up, and another showing
Natsuki and her partner Sakura reacting to a much-lamented lost supper

Vampire Princess Miyu has been a gallery that I've added to, mostly choosing cels of the main character. This time, though, I gained a sketch set (one of the first I've seen from this series on the market) showing her protector

the shinma Larva on the offensive. The gengas and shuuseis are nice, but stick around for the reanimation, which proved to be very effective.

And from the CGI Era, I added two rilezu, which I've not collected in the past as I felt they were over-priced. With prices moderating, though, I've begun to pick a few pretties. One comes from Haibane Renmei and features

The haibane Rakka, evidently one of the eyecatch images. This makes it possible for me to devote a separate gallery to my rilezu and copy backgrounds from Office F&O's extremely limited series. Another comes from the Studio Deen adaptation of Yumeria and features

Mizuki as a bunny girl

And long-standing favorites aren't neglected. Asatte no Hōkō gains three more sketch sets. I like one from Ep. 2 showing

the dimwit boyfriend Hiro in a big "deer-in-the-headlights" moment, and also one from Ep. 8 with

A classic series of gorgeous three-quarters portraits of the adult Karada. All of these come with reanimations of the dougas.

And Rozen Maiden is richer for TWO OP1 gengas, one of

Shinku casting and one from the next cut showing

Hina-ichigo as the unfortunate castee. This made another new gallery, devoted to OP and ED sketches from this series, possible.

Also added is a much appreciated genga from "the scene" in Ep. 12 showing

Shinku emotionally breaking down in front of Jun. (Really? The gemstone hard Doll #5? Yes, really!)

And while the recent (2013) "rewind" version of this series isn't as visually strong, it's still nice to see pencil-on-paper sketches being made. New additions include an emotional scene of

Elder Jun reading to Copy Shinku (and watch what they did with the animation when it was prepared for showing).

Suigintou and Shinku in a rare moment of mutual astonishment, and

Souseiseki giving a significant glance

Beware! Spoilers abound in the last two, though I've tried not to give too much away.

Finally, from Yamibō, a nice pan sketch of

Hatsuki suffering through a long explanation of puberty from the annoying gizmo Ken-chan

Next time: more Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen (as nice sets seem to be coming on the market steadily), plus another catgirl Natsuki sketch from Hyper Police, another Malta cel from Syrius, a dramatic cel from Gegege no Kitaro and -- promise! -- CCS Movie cels! (Yes, that's an -s!).
sensei

Re: Sensei's 2017.01 Update: Christmas and Birthday Catastrophe

Post by sensei »

I've brought a very troublesome update to a conclusion after several months' work. Part of this is due to a lot of trouble in taking on a classroom course that I'd hoped would be a good opportunity to teach a pertinent topic (contemporary legends about terrorism, foreignness, and immigration) to a potentially receptive group that was entering into an interdisciplinary major. Sadly, it became clear that said major was being used as a backdoor diploma for many students who had not met the standards for two (or more) regular majors and who had been told that this was their last chance of graduating with a degree.

My Chinese exchange students, many of whom had been embedded in the course to give them a chance to observe "a typical American classroom," overall showed most interest. One commented that it gave him a more intimate understanding of how Americans think than any of his formal students. (That, I'm sure, was an insight based both on the course content and on looking around in the classroom to see how many people were paying more attention to their cell phones than to the course content.) Anyhow, I had to do too much hand-holding and coercing to get them to do the work for the course, and the semester ran until a week from Christmas, when I had too much work to do, as my daughter was in the final stages of packing to accompany her husband to Hong Kong for his next teaching assignment.

As a result, I pushed myself too far and suffered what is known as a subdural hematoma or hemorrhagic stroke. That's where a vessel bleeds into the space between the skull and brain and gradually pushes the lobes off to the side, leading to some serious neurologic problems. Happily, I got prompt treatment, what is called charmingly termed "burr hole trephination," i.e., drilling a line of tunnels into the skull so the blood can be sucked out. That's left me with a piratical gash in my forehead, and my Facebook friends debated for some time whether I should add an eyepatch, a tattoo, or multiple body piercings to match it.

More to the point, I escaped any serious brain injury, though the event has left me physically weakened, and I'm using a walker to get around outside the house, plus receiving regular physical therapy as an outpatient. Still, experts give me a strong chance to make a full recovery. This, however, ends my classroom teaching career (I am still able to lead the online course I teach for Penn State's Distance Learning program). And I'm going to opt for a lot less Christmas from now on out.

Still, the recovery gave me more time to process the update, which included some Christmas gifts to myself. One was

The 2017 Cardcaptor Sakura calendar. I'm delighted that these are back in production, thanks to the new manga series and promised anime adaptation.

My collection from this series got a few very nice additions, including

a much cherished image of "Princess Syaoran" in the "Sleeping Beauty" class play in Episode 42. Also a couple of nice images of Sakura starting to become possessed by Madoushi in the first movie.

Probably the happiest addition was a set of four cels from Madhouse's legendarily under-the-radar 1987 fairytale film Grimms' Fairy Tales: The Golden Bird, featuring

this iconic image of the feisty protagonist Hans about to thwack some of the baddies and win himself a princess bride. (An equally feisty princess, however, who chases him with a broom through the entire ED theme song.) The others, and some pages from the booklet sold at its theatrical release can be viewed in a new gallery devoted to this film (which happily has turned up recently on YouTube, though you have only the choice of raw Japanese or a version dubbed in Greek).

"Golden Age Anime" got a lot of attention, especially

the 1980s production of Shigure Mizuki's classic Gegege no Kitaro, a long-running series based on Japanese supernatural legends. I added quite a few cels and gengas to this gallery, and also some nice additions to Maeterlinck's Blue Bird and to The Wonderful Adventures of Nils.

Classic cel-based series weren't as strong in this update, though there is an interesting Hyper Police sketch of Natsuki. So the other real features were from recent CGI-based series. The splashiest was another Haibane Renmei rilezu, this one showing

Reki Splattered by Rakka’s Wings (from the series trailer rather than from the way the scene was animated in Ep. 1). I still think there were more than 25 of these made (despite the official announcement) but whether there are 25, 50, or more out there, I never expected to gather as many as four of these for myself.

Another big update concerned Studio Deen's 2003 moe/harem series Yumeria. The plot still doesn't grab me, but the art is unquestionably nice and rare as genga's teeth, so it was nice to add

a new gallery devoted to this series, including this sketch set from the very first cut of the OP sequence. Plus quite a few spectacular pan sketches, some of which will require a lot of celotapectomy work when I get back on my feet.

Other CGI series that got updates include Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen (four new sets, three with reanimations) and YamiBou (Caution! Inexplicit lolicon nudity!)

And the usual random additions. I understand if the direction my gallery has taken has pulled it away from most other collectors' active interests. That's mutually beneficial as I'm not making a practice of challenging other 'Sluggers' bidding on their interests. And I'm finding collecting a continual source of relaxation and reflection on this matured art form.

And so it is part of my recuperation, and so I will continue on that path, even if it is an increasingly lonely path. But, give it a visit if you have a chance. At worst, you'll come away with a broader view of the history and the artistic strategies that this endlessly fascinating media form represents.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Sensei, I'm glad to hear you're recovering and I'm sorry that you had such a traumatic medical experience. So glad you are back and wishing you a happy and healthy future.

This update was well worth the wait. The Haibane rilezu is amazing. Rakka's transformation was always my favorite scene from the show. So heart wrenching! How interesting that they based a rilezu off a shot from the trailer and not the series.

Also impressive are the Grimm's Fairy Tale additions. I watched the film on Youtube and I am amazed that it is not considered a classic, and such a shame that it has never seen an American release. Such spirited, detailed animation. You just don't see that anymore.

As always, your Sakura and Rozen additions are great as well. Happy Hunting! :)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Nice to see that you were able to find some artwork from Yumeria. I remember years ago ID ing several background a friend in Germany had in his unknown section as being from that show.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei

Post by sensei »

KinoLRB wrote: The Haibane rilezu is amazing. Rakka's transformation was always my favorite scene from the show. So heart wrenching! How interesting that they based a rilezu off a shot from the trailer and not the series.

Also impressive are the Grimm's Fairy Tale additions. I watched the film on Youtube and I am amazed that it is not considered a classic, and such a shame that it has never seen an American release. Such spirited, detailed animation. You just don't see that anymore.
Thanks, Kino. I saw the issue as soon as I tried to get a screen grab to go with my rilezu. Then I found a copy of the trailer on YouTube, and also found my Rakka in the cemetery there. The trailer briefly surveys the entire series, and I'd guess it was intended to show potential backers. The more graphic way in which the wing emergence scene was animated in that trailer might have raised some concerns at this point. So it might have been remade in a somewhat less bloody way (though I've still seen comments who found this among the most disturbing moments in anime).

Yes, I was delighted when the complete Golden Bird [aka Kin no Tori] showed up on YouTube. It really includes some remarkable animation, particularly in the Big Bird flight scene and then later when Hans goes after the Witch's horde of storm-trooper robots. I was reminded of the classic Disney scene where Aladdin escapes from the collapsing cave after he finds the lamp -- one of Disney's first elaborate uses of CGI. (I saw the film not long ago, and was struck by how clearly you could see the contrast between the old cel-type animation and the newer CGI scenes.) But Golden Bird was completely cel-based and was made in 1984 while Aladdin premiered in 1992. The Madhouse film should be more widely known, if only for the quality of animation.

I'd love to do a screening at an anime con with discussion. Japan was powerfully influenced by the translation of the Grimms' Tales, and some discussions even talk about a "Grimm Boom" that occurred in the late 90s. But that boom wouldn't have been possible without this film (finally released March 1987) and Nippon's Grimm Masterpiece Theatre (Oct. 1987-March 1989).

Heck, I might not be typing this right now if I and my daughter hadn't gotten hooked on the Saban adaptation of the latter, which aired frequently on Nick Toons in the late 80s and early 90s.

:flower Hey, come along and join the fun.
It's time ... for ... fairy tales.
Doo ... do-de-do :flower
JWR wrote:Nice to see that you were able to find some artwork from Yumeria.
Yeah, even if it's thick with celotape, it's very scarce and yet very nice. Heavy crossover from the team that did Magic Knight Rayearth for AIG and especially the blissed out bunch that then did the Rayearth OAV, a truly surreal series that I love to watch once a year with the help of some serious craft beer. Sadly, with Yumeria, the plot gets in the way. I'd love to see a good two-episode mash-up of the more surreal moments, heavy on cat-girls and bunny-girls and huge ka-booms, ala Usagi-chan de CUE!!!. But that doesn't seem likely.

One has to seek out art where you can find it.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Woh, the Yumeria finger pointing scene from the Opening. That's pretty neat.