Spam Feedback on RS

Show off your stuff!
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Spam Feedback on RS

Post by tarakatsuki »

Is there anything that can be done about it, or someone to notify to fix the issue? I've gotten three spam feedback emails in the past couple of weeks. :(
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Spam Feedback on RS

Post by jenn-b »

I too see at least two a day. I've set them as Spam...so if you are messaging me, let me know here too!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Report them, and I'll ban the user and erase the posts. The "report post" icon is the little exclamation mark in the line of icons on the right side of the top of the post.

I've recommended to the team that we tighten up registration procedures to make it more difficult for spammers to get in.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

sensei wrote:Report them, and I'll ban the user and erase the posts. The "report post" icon is the little exclamation mark in the line of icons on the right side of the top of the post.

I've recommended to the team that we tighten up registration procedures to make it more difficult for spammers to get in.
The spam is in the form of feedback emails received through RS, not on here.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Ah ... that is a longer-range problem that I don't know ever has been brought under control, because the email link to feedback is something that unregistered visitors can view and glom. I personally resolved it by opening a gmail account and using that, not my "working" email account, as the destination for feedback. That sometimes makes my reply to feedback slow, as I don't get much mail on it and so don't check it as often. But gmail has an excellent spam detector, and so when I do get mail there, it genuinely is mail. And it is free.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I got two notices for spam messages appearing on the forum itself in the last two days, with a PM adding "I guess you can't keep these out any more, huh?" so I assumed this was the issue being addressed. I have suggested to the Team that we tighten up registration to resolve this matter (we can do this), but I don't know that there is a way to fix the feedback issue, given the rather old-fashioned way it was set up back at the start of the century.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

sensei wrote:Ah ... that is a longer-range problem that I don't know ever has been brought under control, because the email link to feedback is something that unregistered visitors can view and glom. I personally resolved it by opening a gmail account and using that, not my "working" email account, as the destination for feedback. That sometimes makes my reply to feedback slow, as I don't get much mail on it and so don't check it as often. But gmail has an excellent spam detector, and so when I do get mail there, it genuinely is mail. And it is free.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I got two notices for spam messages appearing on the forum itself in the last two days, with a PM adding "I guess you can't keep these out any more, huh?" so I assumed this was the issue being addressed. I have suggested to the Team that we tighten up registration to resolve this matter (we can do this), but I don't know that there is a way to fix the feedback issue, given the rather old-fashioned way it was set up back at the start of the century.
My RS feedback does go to a gmail account that I check daily, and the feedback emails I did get that were spam did in fact go into the spam folder. The first time it did I opened it because I thought that it went there on accident and it was just a bunch of links for drugs. So now I'm just worried I'll end up missing actual feedback at some point lol. I was just hopeful there was some way to resolve this, but I figured it was a long shot!

The last spammer I caught on here was when I emailed you about it. Tightening up registration would be nice! If I remember right, when I first joined a few years ago, it had to be done by invitation from a member only?