What's trending in your gallery?

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

What's trending in your gallery?

Post by sensei »

I thought of this recently when I was playing with my new cell phone and decided to Google my gallery. In addition to the general link to my RS site, it also suggested a set of galleries, I'd assume because they had been commonly visited of late, along with some sample images to view. Rather to my surprise, all of these represented my Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne holdings, of which I'm proud, but which haven't been updated for two years or more.

Visiting today, I found three galleries of my CCS holdings in prime place of suggestions, but the first fifteen images were all gengas from (in order of place in which they were ordered)
  • 1. KKJ,
  • 2. Sasami: Magical Girls Club,
  • 3. Hyper Police (this is cel-based, but all the most popular images were gengas or roughs),
  • 4. Yamibou,
  • 5. Magic Knight Rayearth (again, predominantly sketchwork rather than cels),
  • 6. Inuyasha (ditto).
  • Then, finally, the first CCS item, again a sketch from the end of the Second Movie, before going back to
  • 8. Saiyuki and
  • 9. Powerpuff Girls Z.

Then cels begin to mix in and proliferate, with CCS cels (and screen caps) being common but not predominant. I also checked RS's list of most popularly visited items and found, as before, that CCS items appear most frequently. Still, the list is becoming more inclusive.
  • 1. Inuyasha(true for the last few years)
  • 5. Mushishi
  • 17. Tonde Buurin
  • 20. Rayearth (OVA)
  • 24. Saiyuki
  • 26. Powerpuff Girls Z
  • 35. Powerpuff Girls Z
  • 40. Pippi Longstocking (a slide of a test cel, probably by Miyazaki, for this abandoned 1971 project)
  • 47. Tonde Buurin
Without doing more data-mining, I can't draw any firm conclusions, but it does seem that the taste of visitors is becoming broader, and particularly in the direction of sketches rather than cels. Any of the other longtimers see anything analogous? Or is this perhaps because of my rather sharp turn toward collecting paper rather than plastic?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: What's trending in your gallery?

Post by Keropi »

I logged into Rubberslug after almost a year and a half. My most popular items are still in almost exactly the same order. I started using a new computer and never went to login with it.

But my sketches have been going up more compared to the cels. The Higurashis, Kannaduki no Mikos, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Xam'd and unreal Code Geass sketches probably went up the most in hits.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

Top two are still the same, Sango and Miroku dropped from third to sixth, and Ayame has jumped up there. :D

I only have one Kenshin cel and one sketch (InuKag) appearing in my list of popular items.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

For years, Inuyasha and Shippo were at the top along with the demon Inuyasha. Kenshin and Kaoru moved up slowly. Then Kuroro took over the top spot. Sometime in the last few months Saitou shot to the top. Other Hakuouki sketches have moved up quickly.

The sketches in my popular list are all Hakuouki except a profile of Kaname and a sleeping image of Shiki from Vampire Knights in about the 20th spot. Also, a Shiki image is at the 30th spot.

I believe part of the reason my most popular list is mostly cels is because I've had cels longer than paper, but Hakuouki is one of more recent series to collect until I basically stopped buying new items.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

EVA-01 (EP. 5& 13) held the top spot for a long time, with Shinji coming in at #2. Evangelion is definitively the most popular section in my gallery.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Oooohhh Fun!

Most of the top visited pieces in my gallery I have had for a VERY long time. At the top is of course the Scene Cel from Episode 65 of CCS, then just below it the A1E Yukito from the same episode.

The only fairly new piece to grace the top is the Teenaged Chibi-usa, seems someone has taken a shine to her.

"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yes, I agree that RS's "popular items" count is relatively stable over time. What is interesting is that Google searches sometimes give a different picture. I suspect that this reflects recent searches/visits rather than the long-term hit counts. For Tarakatsuki, for instance, the top ten Google hits (all from the RS gallery rather than the new indy gallery) were:

1. Inuyasha OP/ED/Eyecatch (gallery)
2. Inyasha Battle Scenes (gallery)
3. Inuyasha Episodes: the 70s (gallery)
4. Kagome and Kouga (individual cel)
5. Inuyasha vs. Bankotsu OP 4 (cel)
6. I Won't Miss EP 4 (cel)
7. Kagome with Bow (cel)
8. Wrapped Up EP 7 (cel)
9.Dreaming EP 38 (cel)
10. Rin (cel)

Quite different from the list you snipped and pasted, you must agree. A quick glance at Google images also seems to show quite a different order. The #1 image is (not surprisingly) the banner on your RS gallery's home page. But #2 is Concentrate! EP 36 (individual cel) which doesn't appear on either your snip or the "Google Search Top 10."

Without knowing more about the paradigm used by Google to order returns, I can't conclude more, but I'd assume that it relies on recent or trending visits to produce a ranked list of "most relevant" returns. And that, as I'd hoped to point out, often presents view of what's been going on with our galleries of late that might be more revealing than RS's easily used list of total hits over time.
sensei

Post by sensei »

While I don't have time to do the same for all the others who responded, here's an interesting list of "#1 Most Relevant" cels/sketches when I use Google Images to search for a given RS gallery. (I've done this because it is simpler to exclude non-relevant hits by adding "Rubberslug" to the search. And I've also excluded images from the gallery homepage.)

Jadeduo: Bleach - I told you I wouldn't go down... - Ichigo - Episode 309
KinoLRB: Lain (Ep. 8)
animeobsessed: Hanasakeru Seishonen - Li-Leng Huang - ep 7

and today:

sensei: Hyper Police - Natsuki offers Sakura some dry cat food, an interesting choice, as it comes with a fairly extensive comment on the animation style of the episode animation director, Shinichirō Minami.

Interesting that three of the five are sketches rather than cels.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Very interesting Sensei!

It's good to see sketches getting more love, I enjoy breaking them down, as much as I do when it comes to my cel collection. And so much more information can be found in the genga sets, as opposed to a single cel. I've quite been enjoying my new found love for sketches.
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

That's interesting, regarding what google results say about my cels, lol.