Rubberslug Up-or-Down Status

Show off your stuff!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Rubberslug Up-or-Down Status

Post by sensei »

Starting this thread as a central place to report on Rubberslug's status. As noted in other threads, it is being maintained privately at no cost by Jason in spare time from his web development business, and so it is vulnerable to glitches. Nevertheless, many of us agree, it is an irreplaceable resource, particularly in the 2000-2005 era that many of us consider the flush days of collecting.

Rubberslug is down at the moment and apparently has been since sometime last night. Jason has been notified. More news as we have it.
sensei

Re: Rubberslug Up-or-Down Status

Post by sensei »

Jason reports that he checked the server and found its network cable physically severed. He has done a temporary fix, which appears to be holding for now. More as he moves to a permanent fix.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 pm Jason reports that he checked the server and found its network cable physically severed. He has done a temporary fix, which appears to be holding for now. More as he moves to a permanent fix.
Did the cable appear to be cut or chewed?
sensei

Post by sensei »

On the Facebook RubberSlug and AnimeBeta page today (Tuesday, July 17, 2018, about noon), Jason reports:
Rubberslug will be down today at part of a planned outage lasting about six hours. Thanks for your patience.
sensei

Post by sensei »

As of now (9:30 PM EDT) Rubberslug is back on line.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jason reports (on the FB "Rubberslug and Anime-Beta" Group):
Announcement: Sometime tomorrow morning July 26th, Rubberslug will temporarily unavailable for about 24-48 hours. Possibly less if I can get situated. I'm temporarily homeless while I shuffle between housing! Sorry for the inconvenience again.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rubberslug, for the moment, is back online. Jason comments:
RS is back up. Seems to be working but it's a new network and I'll be out most of the day dealing with aforementioned moving stuff. If it breaks, I'll fix it when I return this evening. Thanks again!
sensei

Post by sensei »

As of Sunday afternoon, August 12, Rubberslug appears to be down. ("Is It Down for Everyone or Just Me" concurs.) Jason has been notified. More as we know it.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I thought I'd noticed a problem, but I got busy and didn't think about confirming it, sorry. :(
sensei

Post by sensei »

There are times when it is balky but functioning, or maybe it's the crappy DSL Internet access we get here courtesy of Verizon's minimally supported network. (Nearest humanoid available to work on our landline is over an hour's drive from here.) But on touching base with the RS/Beta Facebook group, I find others have the same experience. And "Is is down for everyone or just me" pings the url in a way that determines if it is really down or just busy and slow to respond. No news yet from Jason, but I'll share as I know more.

Meanwhile getting into my last scan task for the August "Lammastide" update....
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jason reports:
sorry was backing up the server since i'm trying to figure out how to move it somewhere else. Temporarily killed it, bringing it back in the next half hour.
It is now live again as of 8 PM EDT.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rubberslug was reported to be down as of 8:38 CDT. Jason has been notified. More as we know it.
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

Thanks for letting us know. I noticed last night but my Internet was acting weird so wasn't sure if it was that or the site.
sensei

Post by sensei »

As of 10 am EDT (9 am CDT), Rubberslug was back online.

Photobucket, however, is now offline, so the images hosted there do not now appear.

Ca. 12 noon EDT this was referenced by another user on Photobucket's Facebook page: "technical support just now [said in an email] that the site being down is a known issue that they are working on...Just confusing that they would answer my email but not put out a public statement."

Photobucket is still under a shadow for having abruptly terminated service to a large number of users, demanding a large sum to restore image hosting service. They backed down, however, allowing minimal users like myself to continue in return for a modest hike in annual fees. But many other users are not happy about their frequent crashes,especially as they maintain no mirror site in case their main server goes offline (as apparently happened this time.)
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

Thanks for the update!